PDA

View Full Version : Oversized Gas Checked Bullets

MacD
02-26-2014, 05:11 PM
While I cast for several calibre of handguns I haven't done much with respect to rifles. I came across a couple of hundred cast roundnose 185 grain gc for a song that I thought were .308. When I got them home they turned out to be .311-.312. I loaded up a dummy round and the check expanded the neck on a sized .308 case so much that when the bullet was seated to the crimp groove it simply fell into the case. A Lee FCD will hold it firmly in place and I have an IMR3031 load that will keep the fps around 1700 but I am not sure if I should use them in my rifle. They chamber easily so I believe there is enough give for the bullet to release cleanly from the crimp. The lead will swage down but what about that gas check? Anyone have experience with oversized gc bullets care to give me some advice?

bhn22
02-26-2014, 05:36 PM
Most gaschecks are designed to be crimped on in a bullet sizer. Until they're crimped into place, they're oversized for the bore. .311ish is normal for 308 bore rifles, as long as they chamber easily. The chamber throat is what you're trying to fill for the best accuracy. Yes, I can see an uncrimped gascheck expanding a case neck.

Bullwolf
02-27-2014, 12:07 AM
I load a lot more pistol ammo than rifle but when I load a cast Gas Check 30 caliber rifle boolit, my procedure is as follows.

1. Cast a 30 caliber boolit. For this example let's say a Lee C309-170-F
2. Apply a copper or aluminum gas check onto the base of the boolit.
3. Run the checked boolit through a .311 or .312 Lee sizer die to crimp the GC.
4. Tumble Lube, dip, or hand lube the now sized gas check boolit.
5. Load the boolit in a previously prepared (correctly flared/expanded) case.

If needed I sometimes hand lube a boolit before sizing as well.

I occasionally use the Lee collet rifle crimp die. Typically when loading ammo for a semi auto, or for a bullet with no cannelure or crimping groove.

Are you sizing, and crimping on the gas checks like I am at step 3?

- Bullwolf

Slow Elk 45/70
02-27-2014, 05:27 AM
Bullwolf, if he is not following your SIMPLE directions, he may find himself with a lot of Problems. IMHO

Keep asking questions, someone here will help you, if you listen....welcome to the madness.