PDA

View Full Version : First ingots :d

Rushthezeppelin
02-26-2014, 02:45 AM
It started when I picked up 160# of WWs about 3 weeks ago for only 40 bucks. It looked to be mostly lead (most where non squared out on the ends

Well yesterday I managed to find a $39 fish fryer at Wally World.

I did some more shopping today. Tried Goodwill first and managed to find a Kenmore convection toaster oven for powder coating for $15 (even checked the fan at the store and sure enough it works as do the elements), a cheap steel spoon and two solid aluminum cupcake pans (not the silly ones with the inserts for each cupcake, all one stamped piece). Picked up a SS pasta spoon and a laddle from Wally World and found a cast iron pan at Big Lots. Went by harbor freight and and got some welding clothing and a face mask for protection in case of a splatter.

Just got done on my first batch of making ingots and taking a shower. Managed to make about 8 1/2 cupcake ingots with little trouble. Came out to 11 1/2#

Sorting blue pail for steel/zinc had about 4% non lead on this first time; grey stick ons

Firing up the melt

Pail is filed with water for dross skimmings (knew there was a reason I had been hanging on to these empty cat litter pails :P)

Fluxed (free HD sawdust) and about to dross

Casting ingots. Cast the first ingots with a laddle.

Success

Also have the Lee 155 7.62x39 mold, Lee 20# bottom pour, 300 blk dies (including 30 carbine Lee powder through) and a pound of green PBTP on the way. Should hopefully see it by Friday in which case I'll build a quick table with some 2x4s and free plywood I got from HD and setup for casting in the back yard. Should be able to cast 500+ 155s (how much do these drop for others with straight WW alloy?) just from this batch alone...plenty to do load development with.

robpete
02-26-2014, 07:56 AM
Nice! Check out Harbor Freight again. They sell a nice big cast Dutch oven for around $25. I run around 80-100 pounds in mine. Great start to your setup though. Soon you'll have more stuff than you can use at once.......

Walter Laich
02-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Good job. Nice to see you're out in the open so all the fumes can disperse

Cmm_3940
02-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Looks good! Details on that Wallyworld fish fryer? I'm thinking of trying something like that along with a LPG tank smelting pot.

Rushthezeppelin
02-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Nice! Check out Harbor Freight again. They sell a nice big cast Dutch oven for around $25. I run around 80-100 pounds in mine. Great start to your setup though. Soon you'll have more stuff than you can use at once.......

Don't think my HF has those. I didn't look specifically while I was there but I would think a big dutch oven would have stood out one of the last couple of times I've browsed the whole store.

Good job. Nice to see you're out in the open so all the fumes can disperse

Yup was nice and breezy out so it carried everything away.

Looks good! Details on that Wallyworld fish fryer? I'm thinking of trying something like that along with a LPG tank smelting pot.

$39.99 back in the Garden Center. Worked just dandy, didn't even really use much of my tank at all. Darn tank of LPG cost me more (seem to remember these things being $36 only a few years ago but not sure since I've always been a charcoal cooker).

osteodoc08
02-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Be careful using processed woods (plywood) to flux with. They can release some pretty nasty gasses. I'd advise against using home depot as a source of saw dust. Otherwise, good job.

PS- Walmart typically has the pine shave bedding that can be used.

bangerjim
02-26-2014, 04:02 PM
+1 on NOT using lumberyard dust!!!!!!! It can even have pressure-treated lumber dust in there. Not good. I know it is good to be frugal......but do not scrimp in this category.

Also DO NOT used your depleted vibrator tumbling media as a flux. It contains many nasty things from brass, primers, etc you do NOT want to breath......nor do your neighbors.

Buy your shavings for pet bedding. Very little money for a lot of fluxing. I just reach under my table saw!!!!!!!

banger

RogerDat
02-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Say did your fish fryer come with a thermometer? Web site says it does, if it does what is the temp range? Also says comes with a big aluminum pot & strainer. Not good pot for casting but.... Could always use it for something.

Rushthezeppelin
02-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Say did your fish fryer come with a thermometer? Web site says it does, if it does what is the temp range? Also says comes with a big aluminum pot & strainer. Not good pot for casting but.... Could always use it for something.

Yes, it came with a thermo but it only goes up to I think 450, not enough for casting. It will however work to verify proper temps in my used oven for curing PC. Also does come with a pot and strainer which I will happily use for frying up some fish one day.

jonp
02-26-2014, 09:44 PM
Your dumping hot dross/metal into a pail of water? No problems with that

Rushthezeppelin
02-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Your dumping hot dross/metal into a pail of water? No problems with that

Didn't have a metal bucket. No problems just a bit of a steam hiss when dropping it in. Never had big amount is my dross spoons.

jonp
02-26-2014, 10:47 PM
That was a question that i managed to leave the question mark off of not a criticism.

I bought a cheap stainless steel bowl from walmart that works good but your pail is sure cheaper!