PDA

View Full Version : steel

lunicy
12-19-2007, 07:02 PM
I have been told you can't reload steel casings. Why?? And don't say because of the berdan primers, I have that problem licked...

I know the question sounds silly, but I have some steel casings. I don't want them in my regular rotation, however, if the **** really hits the fan, I will have tons of casings to back me up. Not for practical use, just for a survival like situation.

felix
12-19-2007, 07:16 PM
You can reload steel cases. They will handle about 5 stiff loads. Using calm loads won't help because of the splitting characteristics of that steel they use. I am talking specifically about the Wolf brand of cases. I assume the alloy of such is well known. So, if you reload them, reload them hot. The primer holes won't get larger. ... felix

38 Super Auto
12-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Felix

Do the steel cases wear on your sizing die?

felix
12-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Not if they are painted, shellacked, varnished, or whatever. Even if they were not coated, the cases would have to be made out of steel soft enough to work as a cartridge case. MUCH softer than heat treated dies. ... felix

Trez Hensley
12-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Interesting thread, I have always passed on using steel cases as I heard it was "Taboo". Never did know the reasons. People I know make it sound like it would be dangerous but thinking about it, I don't know why--head separations--?

RU shooter
12-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Yes steel cases load just fine, The ones I have are 54R that I pulled the bullets and powder , I use these to load up my off hand practice loads with real boolits ,just remember to clean your rifle accordingly as these berdan primed cases are corrosive.

Buckshot
12-20-2007, 12:19 AM
................I have a bunch of EC43 (Evansville Chrysler) steel 45 ACP cases and have reloaded them umpteen times. I used these when working up loads for a Destroyer carbine conversion to 45 ACP. Seems the cheapo brass I was using (headstamp CCC and something or other) were cracking inside around the wall/solid head junction. Sheesh! What trash, ha!

..............Buckshot

Ricochet
12-20-2007, 12:59 PM
I reload Wolf and similar steel .45 ACP. They work just fine. I don't worry about them wearing out the carbide sizing ring in my die set.

Ken O
12-20-2007, 10:51 PM
When the Wolf first started showing up I didn't think they were supposed to be reloaded. I shoot ISPC and IDPA matches and end up with quite a few when I pick my brass after shooting, because the guys shooting the Wolf just let them lie and they get mixed in. They ran though the Dillon like any other case. I don't purposely reload them, but they reload just fine.