PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a question

stu925
02-24-2014, 10:49 PM
I registered here a while back and posted the obligatory introductory thread, basically I was just getting started researching info on casting. I think I'm finally ready to get started casting my first boolits. So after all my research I've settled on the Lee 452-255-RF mold which should cast a 255gr FP bullet. I'll be sizing to .452 with a Lee Lube and Size kit. I realize these are not tumble lube bullets so I presume I need to pan lube them or is running them through the Lube and Size kit enough? I did a search but nothing came up using that Lee mold product number. If you need the info these will be fired from a Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP with a 5.5" barrel. I don't plan on pushing them much beyond 1000fps and will probably keep them around 900fps. Thanks in advance for your assistance, I'm looking forward to shooting my first batch of home cast boolits.

Stu

tg32-20
02-24-2014, 10:58 PM
stu,

You can certainly pan lube them but if you have been hanging around here you probably came across 45-45-10. It will work fine for what you are doing, it is just a step past tumble lubing with Alox in my opinion.
Not nearly as sticky and dries out with just a slight film.

Tom

iron mule
02-24-2014, 11:00 PM
hello stu925
the lee lube and size kit you refer to does not lube the bullet when you size them it just sizes them
the lube part of it is the tumble lube type
have you slugged the bore of your gun this needs to be done to get the best from your bullets size about .001 over the bore size
also it would help if you stated the alloy you are going to use
the tumble lube method may work with the mold you have will not hurt to try a few
need to put one coat of lube on first them size them another coat of lube
go to the lube section here and look at some of the stickies about tumble lube it will give you some ideas
do not put a heavy coat of this on the bullets and it is best to cut it with mineral sprits
i do not use tumble lube but from reading here this is what i have learned about it
mule

HeavyMetal
02-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Lee lube and size kit requires you to TL then size and then, maybe, TL again.

In the long run I have never been happy with the whole TL concept, to messy and to long, pan lube is OK if your not cast hundreds but a good lube sizer is called for if you even do a half way decent amount of shooting.

Many will tell you TL is the best thing since sliced bread I figure most will decide for themselves what does and doesn't work for them.

If you can find someone in your area with a Star, and he will let you watch for 5 minutes, my opinion is you'll never tumble lube again, LOL!

That Lee mold should bea good one for the 45 Colt but don't bet on it casting at 255 Grains. Most WW alloy is a tad heavy on lead so don't be surprised if the come out at 260.

The cool part is your casting your own so a little linotype mixed in with COWW will increase the Tin / Antimony content and reduce the weight of the boolits, if you need to.

Good luck and let us knpow how the pan lubing went.

saphelps
02-24-2014, 11:09 PM
FYI, Lee service sent me this when I was comparing actual finished weight vs posted when using COWW: "Those dimensions are correct. The weight we published is based on a 1:10 lead/tin ratio. The general rule of thumb is every .001 you are over stated diameter, with given alloy, you add 5 grains to the weight.". Although it does seem like a heck of a lot of tin!

You should be fine using the LLA that came with the kit, though. Lube, dry, size, lube again, but keep it light.

Dusty Bannister
02-24-2014, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=iron mule;2652671]

have you slugged the bore of your gun this needs to be done to get the best from your bullets size about .001 over the bore size
==========
This is incorrect. You would slug the barrel to find the groove diameter, not the bore diameter. You will be better served to fit the bullets to the cylinder throats. Just a light pressure to push the bullet through the cylinder to keep it from gas cutting. WW will be just fine, and either pan lube, or just rub the lube into the grooves of the bullets by hand. If the bullets are too small, you will have leading full length of the barrel. Many threads on this already in the archives.
Dusty

stu925
02-24-2014, 11:31 PM
Ok so here's what I'm getting from this: the tumble lube method will work with the Lube & Size kit but I will need to tumble lube them again after sizing and I'll probably end up going to a dedicated lube/sizer.

I have not slugged the bore yet I'm planning on doing that this week before I place my order. The alloy I'll be using is actually lead shot that I have here and am not planning on loading (I have way more shotgun shells than I'll ever need). I realize this is not the perfect alloy for casting but I have it on hand and would like to use it, I also have a bunch of other cast lead bullets of various manufacture in calibers I don't load so I may melt them down and cast them also. I appreciate the help fellas, getting started is a bit daunting at this point but I'm sure once I get rolling I'll end up hooked.

Stu

bangerjim
02-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Consider power coating you boolits. No need for ANY lube.....no leading!

You can either buy the electrostatic gun set-up from Harbor Freight (~$60) or use dry tumble method. Both have been tried and WELL proven on this site. Check the stickies in alternate coatings. HF also sells very inexpensive powders.

PC'ing for slow loads like you plan is perfect. I shoot that same boolit and they work with excellent accuracy and no leading! As do all the ones I cast and shoot (223,9,30,38,40,45)

Check it out. Just another relative inexpensive alternative you can consider to lubing and expensive lubra-sizers.

bangerjim :guntootsmiley:

stu925
02-25-2014, 08:25 PM
[QUOTE=iron mule;2652671]

==========
This is incorrect. You would slug the barrel to find the groove diameter, not the bore diameter. You will be better served to fit the bullets to the cylinder throats. Just a light pressure to push the bullet through the cylinder to keep it from gas cutting. WW will be just fine, and either pan lube, or just rub the lube into the grooves of the bullets by hand. If the bullets are too small, you will have leading full length of the barrel. Many threads on this already in the archives.
Dusty

I can push a .452" Speer lead bullet through the chamber with a little bit of pressure so I think I should be ok with that. Honestly I haven't even fired the gun yet so I don't yet have a baseline for accuracy with it. I want to be able to shoot this one a lot hence why I'm getting ready to jump into casting now. I'll keep everyone posted on how the first batch turns out and how they shoot.

bangerjim: I'll keep the powder coating in mind for later on down the line. Not an additional expense I can afford right now but it sounds like an interesting proposition.

Stu

bangerjim
02-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Keep in mind.......to get started all you need is an empty Coolwhip container, a $6 bottle of HF red powder and old small toaster/convection oven to bake them in (NOT your kitchen oven!!!!!!)

Very little expense to get started! Less than the costs of the stuff you need to make pan lube.

banger