PDA

View Full Version : BB balistic tips.

Rushthezeppelin
02-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Just crossed my mind today how to make a redneck ballistic tip the easy way for boolits. I'm about to be casting (and PCing) for 300 BLK and I thought, hey why not take a pointier mold like the Lee 155gr (the one for x39) and put a 22 BB down in the mold then cast over it. It would not only create a HP without the fancy molds, but I think it would possibly aid in expansion with lower velocity stuff like 300 BLK (and maybe 30-30 or the like). Would also think it would help with nose deformation from feeding in ARs that pointier boolits experience. Only downside I'm seeing in my head is it would shave a tad bit of BC off spire points.

Am I the first one to think of this or has this been tried before? Anyone want to beat me to testing this theory out, since I'm only just about to order all my casting stuff tonight (already got tons of WWs but non of the stuff to cast)?

lwknight
02-24-2014, 08:23 PM
hmmm... sounds intriguing.

bhn22
02-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Try this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-53234.html

Courtesy of BruceB

Rushthezeppelin
02-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Try this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-53234.html

Courtesy of BruceB

Interesting stuff for sure, only thing I'm worried about with pure lead tips is whether they would suffer tip deformation in an AR platform. I'm hoping my idea knocks out two birds (or hogs in my case :razz:) with one stone.

Rushthezeppelin
02-25-2014, 03:17 AM
Well if Midway decides to be fast for me I should have all my stuff to start casting by the weekend. Should have stuff to at least start making ingots tomorrow, just picked up a propane fish fryer at wally world and will be grabbing a propane tank and a goodwill cast iron pot/pan tomorrow. Will try casting a few samples with BBs, hopefully they stay put in the bottom of the mold. Going to try testing this in wet phone books if I can find a grocery store that has a stack to give away.