PDA

View Full Version : Army's treasure room

popper
02-24-2014, 04:38 PM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/inside-the-armys-spectacular-hidden-treasure-room
Didn't even know about this, but makes sense. Where else would they hide the 'ark'.

John Allen
02-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Wow, I would love to see this closeup but it will never happen.

Bullshop Junior
02-24-2014, 04:47 PM
If they did actually open the museum I would try to go. That's pretty awesome

shdwlkr
02-24-2014, 06:22 PM
I wonder what wasn't shown that is there?

Bullshop Junior
02-24-2014, 06:35 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/25/tysuneha.jpg

shdwlkr
02-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Nope they keep them on ice at Area 51

Mod42
02-24-2014, 09:14 PM
That is the history that Needs to be taught in schools rather than the BS that is being forced on our kids today.

If it was funding for a gay museum the government would make sure that it was built........pretty sad place we live in when you think about it!

contender1
02-24-2014, 11:22 PM
+1 Mod42

MaryB
02-24-2014, 11:46 PM
King Obama's private museum....

Col4570
02-25-2014, 07:21 AM
The Royal Armories In Leeds England has a Vast collection of Antique Arms well worth seeing if you are in that Neck of the Woods.It would be great to see the weapons etc in that storage facility in the USA opened up as a Museum after all they are part of US History and the forming of your great Country.

MrWolf
02-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Very interesting - thanks

captaint
02-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Wow popper - To think I grew up about like 6 miles from Ft. Belvoir and I never had any idea that greatness was there. I was only actually on the base 3 or 4 times in all those years. Mike

osteodoc08
02-25-2014, 11:07 AM
It really is a shame that all of this can't be on display to the public. Or at least a majority of the significant pieces. I understand the need to secure some of the most prized pieces, but I would love to see a museum like this in person.

Our country has so much to offer right here within our borders. If only we took the time to look.

ksfowler166
02-25-2014, 07:29 PM
There are little known storage areas all throughout the U.S. used by both the government and private individuals. A little known fact is that the unused space in the salt mine in Hutchinson Kansas is a protected storage area for both the government and private individuals to store anything and everything. It actually houses the largest collection of film in the world. It is the perfect place to being a climate controlled bomb proof bunker.

edler7
02-25-2014, 07:55 PM
That would be a wonderful place to spend a week or 2.

There was an army depot in the town I lived in. They had a collection of captured 3rd Reich art in a warehouse for temporary storage ( temporary= from the end of WWII to the early 80's). It was going to be moved, and a neighbor of mine just happened to be in charge of it at the time. He got me in to see it...eerily creepy and beautiful at the same time. Nothing like seeing a bigger than life full length portrait of Hitler to make you shiver a little bit.

I would have loved to explore all the igloos at that place...

popper
02-25-2014, 08:48 PM
And I just heard this from someone smarter than me. Canon balls were stored in a pyramid stack on top of a sheet called a monkey, made of brass with dimples to keep the bottom layer from rolling. When it is really cold, the dimples shrink so it is possible to freeze the balls of a brass money.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-25-2014, 09:23 PM
My wife and I were at Fort Sill Oklahoma in 1999 to see our son graduate from artillery school. While there I witnessed a demonstration of horse drown cannon. I was out for a stroll when I saw activity on the parade ground. I hurried over to see what it was, just as a team of horses came running thru the gate. They were pulling an old cannon and they were supported by outriders mounted on horses carrying old Army saddles. They set the cannon up and fired the cannon within a minute. After the demo the captain told the crowd, "you can come on the field and ask me questions". I got there first. I asked him where he got all the old harness and McClellan saddles. He said "oh they have warehouses of that stuff here". Oh Groan! If I were a phone man in this area instead of Southern California I would be in everyone of those buildings. Phone men get to go everywhere. I know I did. If you go any where near Fort Sill, by all means go in and plan on spending at least a day. Not only do they have great museums and all many old cannon on display, the Apache cemetery is there. You can see Geronimo's Grave. The Silver plated Colt SA he surrendered in1886 is on display in the old stockade as well as his Bowie knife. All the old stone barracks and stables are still there. Go see it. You will love it. I guarantee it.

NSP64
02-25-2014, 09:51 PM
I believe i was in those old barraks in 1982!!!!

MT Gianni
02-25-2014, 11:08 PM

Fearful leader has no interest in this type of art. JMO

MaryB
02-26-2014, 01:38 AM
No but it is to good for the masses...
Fearful leader has no interest in this type of art. JMO

Jammersix
02-26-2014, 01:48 AM

I'd vote for him again if I could.

It's bad manners to drag politics into a non-political discussion. There's a separate political section here just so we don't have to read each other's political views unless we want to. If I'm not there in five minutes, start without me.

LUBEDUDE
02-26-2014, 02:24 AM
WoW!

Sure hope the museum gets built.