PDA

View Full Version : Making a hammer mold

MT Gianni
12-19-2007, 12:09 AM
I got bored with waiting for the hammer mold so I made 2. Now I find that the sandisk for our xd card isn't working with my wifes new camera. Anyway I took a tomato paste can, 6 oz and a 8 oz mushroom can and drilled a 3/4" hole in the center. I inserted 1/2" conduit [nominal od 5/8"] into the hole and cut a slit in each can with tin snips. . The tomato paste can was cut down 1" and the mushroom can to the hole. The mushroom can was wired shut the tomato paste was left as is. Both were filled with ww alloy and left to cool in a 25 degree temp on concrete with a good breeze. I stripped the can off of the molds mush like opening a sardine can with a key. I used a pair of pliers. I had more spill out of the can that was not wired shut than the wired shut can but the spill went back into the pot when I was done. The tomato can has a dark stain to the hammer as it was rinsed but not scrubbed. The mushroom can looks great. The bad news it the tomato paste can weighs 4.5 lbs and the mushroom can 5.5 lbs. I will need to cut the tomato can down in heighth before repeating the pour but this is one way to avoid the wait for the real mold. Gianni

booneh
12-19-2007, 11:29 AM
how big of a hammer are you trying to make? i make a smaller hammer for use in the shop. i use a pipe nipple. drill a hole in one side for a piece of dowel. i use a 1/2 inch hole in a 3/4 x 2 1/2 in. nipple. use a hack saw to split tha nipple lengthwise. put a dowel into the hole about 2/3 through the mold clamp the two sides together set under a bottem pour pot on a flat surface fill mold let cool remove clamp and presto. one hammer.
hope this helps.

booneh

DeanoBeanCounter
12-19-2007, 01:28 PM
[smilie=1: In the interest of frustrated casters with zinc and zinc contaminated lead everywhere. You know the type, don't throw anything away because someday you MIGHT need it. :twisted: How would zinc or zinc contaminated lead work for a hammer?? :confused:

leftiye
12-19-2007, 02:24 PM
my zinc contamination would return from crud to metal at something over 700 degrees, and might well be castable into a hammer. The printer that my contaminated linotype came from was obviously still printing with it - it came to me in type strips. A friend had some of this contaminated metal and simply cast very hot and still used it to make boolits. I think that I have heard it said that zinc contaminated lead is prone to shattering though (?).

Morgan Astorbilt
12-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Gianni, You're making my mouth water! Put a little olive oil in the bottom of a pot, turn on the gas, add some diced onions and garlic, and stir it around with the stained hammer. MMM Good!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Morgan

MT Gianni
12-19-2007, 03:34 PM
I think zinc would make a great hammer until you forgot it had zinc and tried to remelt it in your pot. Gianni

leftiye
12-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Morg, You might as well grind lead up and take it in capsules! I know,,, It wouldn't taste as good. Lead pellets Alfredo anyone?