PDA

View Full Version : First run for new casting cabinet

Patrick L
12-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Well, my casting cabinet went operational today. I cast for about an hour and a half, got a nice little pile of Lee 120 RF's and SAECO 301s.

Basically I wanted a semi permanent setup. For years I have cast in the garage. Problem is, because of my little ones, plus the fact that the garage is actually used as a garage, I had to set up and tear down each time I cast. I now have a permanent set up in the basement. I built a wooden box about 28x30x24 inches deep, put a sliding plexiglass cover on the front, and put my old range hood exhaust fan on the top. The nice thing about that is I am not only vented, but lighted too. The cabinet sits on an old credenza right underneath a basement window. I ducted the exhaust fan out the window. As it is now, I remove the window (very easy) and replace it with a piece of 3/4 plywood that has the exhaust ductwork mounted to it. That's the only thing that's not permanent. When I'm done casting, the plywood comes out and the window goes back. Literally takes a minute to switch them. And the best thing is, when I was done casting I just turned everything off and walked away.

Although it had its test flight today, I still have a bit of tweaking to do. I want to put an outlet box right in the cabinet in order to be able to plug my pot in. And as I mentioned in other posts, I want to rig up my old 10 lb pot above the 20 lb one I now cast from to premelt ingots and sprues. Projects for Xmas vacation.

And I swear I'll get this digital picture thing figured out soon and post some pictures.

Swamprat1052
12-19-2007, 09:48 AM
That sounds like a good setup. I still setup out side on a covered patio. It works ok for me cause here in Southern Califorinia we dont get much rain. Although it is raining today. But I can set up and leave it set up for several days without any danger or it getting wet. And it's rarely too cold to be out. Thats the only thing nice about living in the "Land of Fruits and Nuts." If my wife and I can ever retire we are getting out of here, I'll probably have to do things different then.

Looking forword to those pictures.

Swamprat

Bret4207
12-22-2007, 09:27 AM
And as I mentioned in other posts, I want to rig up my old 10 lb pot above the 20 lb one I now cast from to premelt ingots and sprues.

Someplace I saw a rig a guy set up with 2 -10 lb Saeco pots, one above the other, with the handles linked so that as he bottom poured with one the upper pot filled the lower one. Neat set up if you can handle bottom pouring. Being a ladle man it remains a "neat idea" for me.

Patrick L
12-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Well, here are (I hope!!) a few pictures. You can see how I rigged up the vent. I don't know if you can see the clear plexiglass face cover. It slides vertically like a garage door, and can go from all the way closed to all the way up. I cast with it about half way up. It helps create a nice little draw of air in conjunction with the exhaust fan :
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Casting%20cabinet/GunStuff004.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Casting%20cabinet/GunStuff005.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Casting%20cabinet/GunStuff006.jpg

Here is about an hour's worth of production. The two boolits are the SAECO 301 .30 cal and the Lee .38 caliber 148 TLWC
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Casting%20cabinet/GunStuff014.jpg

As I said, I still need to put an outlet box right in the cabinet, and I want to rig up my old 10lb. pot above the 20 lber for remelting and premelting. What I am liking the most is the fact that this stays set up, so when I finish a casting session I just turn off the pot and walk away.

Cayoot
12-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Now this looks great! I'm gonna try this!

454PB
12-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Very innovative and neatly done! Great pictures, too.

calsite
01-06-2008, 04:02 AM
I guess as long as you feel that you are providing adequate ventilation for your home.

Gun-adian
01-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Grade 11 Chemistry class flashback!!!

Now that is what I need to do....

I waste more time setting up and tearing down. It'd be nice to leave everything set up.

Well done.

Mike.

HotGuns
01-08-2008, 01:02 AM
I guess as long as you feel that you are providing adequate ventilation for your home.

Why wouldnt it be? If he's drawing a slght vaccum on that box and venting it outside, I'd say that it would be pretty efficent.

I think that is an exellent idea. Great job !
That is a very neat idea.

Now you've got me to thinking...

KYCaster
01-08-2008, 06:42 PM
To check your vent system, set a burning candle on the bench in front of your cabinet...blow out the flame...if the smoke is pulled into the vent then it's working like it should.

If it doesn't pull the smoke out, try providing a fresh air source (open window) on the opposite side of the room.

It only takes a 1mph. draft to clear out any smoke/fumes.

Jerry

Just Duke
03-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Very well done sir.

Southern Son
03-10-2008, 04:51 AM
Duke,
What a cracker of an idea, mate. A blasted rangehood. Me an the missus have just moved from one town to another. At our last house, I had a 15x20 foot shed, with a car port on the side, the house we just moved into has nothing. I am looking into a shipping container being put in (only renting this house) and I will use that for a shed, but I had no idea of how I was going to cast bullets in the shipping container. Even with the door open, there is no cross ventilation. But a ranghood would be great. I could run the ducting back out the door and around the corner a little way and that will help keep me from breathing lead fumes and getting any sillier. Thanks for the tip mate.

Ron.

pjh421
03-11-2008, 07:06 PM
How about holes in the tabletop through which you could drop keepers, sprues and rejects into 2 separate buckets? Good job.

Paul

DLCTEX
03-11-2008, 10:48 PM
It looks to me like there's something missing. Oh, I see it now! There's no clutter, everythings so....orderly. It's enough to make a guy uncomfortable. Seriously, great job. DALE

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Fantastic job and someday, I'm going to copy it, the most sincere form of flattery.

Dave

Patrick L
03-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the more recent compliments. I hadn't noticed this thread had resurfaced until today. If you search a bit, I did do followup threads that show pictures of my second pot mounted above and behind the 20#er pictured to serve as a premelter for sprues and rejects. That spawned another thread about the power needs for this setup (I ended up putting in a dedicated 20 amp line with a 20 amp outlet that is used solely for the two pots.)

Thanks again for all the compliments. I am sort of proud of this...