PDA

View Full Version : Other Hobbies: Looking for someone who knows antique radios

StratsMan
02-23-2014, 04:10 PM
This forum is filled with folks who love to figure out how stuff works, and who collect other stuff as well...

I have this old tube-type radio... It's a Zenith, the last patent date on it is 1926, and the model is "35AP" (that's really what it says, but I don't think it means 'armor piercing')...

I'd love to find someone from this forum who knows bunches about these machines... I have emails out to folks on radio collector sites, also...

TIA,

Dave "StratsMan" Stratton

waksupi
02-23-2014, 04:45 PM
There was a topic recently on these. Try searching radio, using the Google search.

popper
02-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Table model or floor model. Table models from 40-50 aren't worth much. Patent date doesn't mean much.

6bg6ga
02-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Try this forum

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/index.php

Alan is very knowledgeable

StratsMan
02-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Tks 6b... I found that forum but didn't join just to post the question... I also found an Antique Radio Club chapter in my area, and have sent emails to a couple of the guys there for input...

Popper, it's a floor model... big sunuvagun...

6bg6ga
02-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Are you needing help getting it running or need parts?

gsdelong
02-23-2014, 05:43 PM
I have a book printed in 1939.that has common failures of this radio listed. No schematic though. Thought it might help date radio. It looks like it is earlier than that though.

StratsMan
02-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Are you needing help getting it running or need parts?

I'd like to see it running, but I have no idea what it will take... It is complete, so it may just need some of the old parts replaced on the motherboard (I know, the term is wrong but you get the idea) and/or tubes replaced... they all lit up 30 years ago, but that was the last time it was plugged in... I am considering selling the radio, tho if it's not too costly to get up 'n runnin' then I may delay that move...

Here's a few photos... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m4m8hilev5tgmnp/AMdXAeZ_LM

StratsMan
02-23-2014, 05:48 PM
I have a book printed in 1939.that has common failures of this radio listed. No schematic though. Thought it might help date radio. It looks like it is earlier than that though.

Tks GS... that could be a useful resource, perhaps after locally can look at it before plugging it in...

firefly1957
02-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Those old tube sets can have some pretty high voltage look the circuit boards over for any obvious damage first then you will need to determine if the tubes are good . First sign is if they heat up when the unit is on beyond that you will need a book . Good luck with it.

6bg6ga
02-23-2014, 06:16 PM
You should be able to pull up a schematic for it without any problem. Everything is point to point wiring and simple to troubleshoot and repair. Check the tubes first. After that I would suggest a blanket replacement of all the caps because they have either failed or will fail shortly upon getting it to run.

I have a RCA Radiola Model 62 among my toys. Cira 1928-1928

6bg6ga
02-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Like I mentioned earlier I would check out the antique radio forum and they will help you out. They are a nice group of guys.

yman
02-23-2014, 06:26 PM
My dad had a radio and tv repair service, note that radio is listed 1st. He opened business in 1953 and there were only 2 tv's in town. We used to have an old metal building full of old tv's and radios, he kept the popular models for parts. He had about 15 of the old tall wood cabnit radios and we had about 3 peach baskets full of old radio tubes. Some used, some brand new, this was in the 70's no one wanted them. Ofcourse they have long since went by the way side, I meant to get one of the old radios but missed it somehow. I guess thats why all the those tubes cost so much, we threw them all away. :oops:

CastingFool
02-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Sometimes the used tubes are worth more than the complete unit. My son tries to pick up old radios, tvs and consoles and a lot of times he sells the tubes individually and makes more money from them .

bangerjim
02-23-2014, 06:55 PM
I'd like to see it running, but I have no idea what it will take... It is complete, so it may just need some of the old parts replaced on the motherboard (I know, the term is wrong but you get the idea) and/or tubes replaced... they all lit up 30 years ago, but that was the last time it was plugged in... I am considering selling the radio, tho if it's not too costly to get up 'n runnin' then I may delay that move...

Here's a few photos... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m4m8hilev5tgmnp/AMdXAeZ_LM

Those are georguous pieces of furniture!

Tubes will be tricky to find. As a kid a older friend gave me a box of over 300 tubes. Some were the big boys with 4 pins and a meta cap. Everything in my day was mini tubes and transistors.

You are looking at probably replacing all of the old wax/paper capacitors. and the power supply electrolytic filters (cans). Tough to find some values today.

Voltages are 6vac for filaments and anywhere from 150 to 300vdc for the B+ and other grid voltages, so be careful. That could be a line-operated chassis or have a transformer for the various voltages. If line op, all filaments will be in series so you can tell from the tube types. And no big transformer!

I have several but they are the REEEEEEEL old style with 2-3 BIG tubes and the 3 tuning knobs. I need to make a battery eliminator for one of them (A/B/C). It has the big glory horn for a speaker.

good luck! Old radios are fun!

banger

arjacobson
02-23-2014, 06:56 PM
All my guitar amps are tube powered. best sound ever. Yes some tubes are worth good money. I would love to find an original quad of mullard el-34's.....

shaper
02-23-2014, 07:22 PM
I have a friend that has 300 old radios. If you want to talk to him PM me and I'll give his number.

shooter2
02-23-2014, 08:49 PM
I wish you luck as I remember many fine hours laying in front of our floor model Philco listening to shows like the Lone Ranger, Jack Armstrong, Fibber Magee and Molly, And the list goes on...

popper
02-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Yes, original caps are the hardest part to find. Keep the value up as original.

mtnman31
02-23-2014, 10:01 PM
I've fixed a couple old tube radios.

On radios of the vintage you are dealing with there are a few things to look for that commonly go bad.
- Capacitors - look for dried residue around the capacitors. It indicates they have leaked out at some point. Also look for swollen capacitor bodies. Some may be impossible to replace with the same item. Fortunately, modern capacitors can be substituted for most of them. That's fine since a modern capacitor will usually be smaller and longer lasting.
- Tubes - they may be bad, broken or have dirty/corroded contacts. There are a few online vendors who are very reputable and honest. Many common tubes are fairly inexpensive.
- Wiring - the insulation on wiring is often dried and cracked. Be cautious as they can short to the metal frame of the chassis or short to tools or appendages you may be using.
Note that speakers of some radios are very large and include a transformer. These are very hard to find/replace/repair. Take great care with the speaker so that you don't tear a cone or break any wiring.

Below is my current project. It wouldn't power on when I got it. It simply needed a few switch contacts cleaned as they had gummed up over the years. The radio works perfectly now and all it took was some simple cleaning. The wooden case still needs to be refinished. I'm not comfortable enough with my finishing skills to tackle it just yet. I need to get a little smarter on removing the old finish and repairing the veneer in a few spots. I've got three other tube radios. One is a big, ugly floor model. It works fine but is just unsightly so it stays in the downstairs exercise room. My brother gave it to me so the price was right. I have two counter top models, one is bakelite from the 60's that needed a couple tubes replaced. The other is a nice GE in a wooden case. I keep it in my camper as it matches the decor.

I got my tubes and some assistance from this place when I lived in Denver. http://www.vacuumtubesupplies.com/ I can't recall the owner's name but they are a wonderful small business. They have a massive selection and will even test some tubes for you for free. He has a massive repository of radio schematics and may have what you need. He does 90 percent of his business via the internet and mail order. He also sells on eBay. Very highly recommended.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/PICT1450.JPG

TCFAN
02-23-2014, 10:13 PM
My dad is 98 years old.Ten or fifteen years ago he could have that old radio up running like a top.Today he sit in a nursing home and is not real sure what day it is.It is a shame what old age does to a person.

Two years ago I had to clean out his house so it could be sold.I filled up a 22 cu Yard dumpster with radio parts and equipment.I threw 1000's and I mean thousands of radio tubes still in the original boxes away because I could not find any one that wanted any of the old radio stuff.I wish you could have posted this 2 year ago,I could have fixed you up on any parts especially tubes you might have needed free for the asking......Terry

MaryB
02-24-2014, 01:21 AM
All the info you need including a schematic http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zenith_35ap.html 1928 build date AM broadcast only. Nice looking radio, I have had a few antiques over the years but I prefer ham radio gear. Restoring a Drake TR4 right now.

6bg6ga
02-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Yes, original caps are the hardest part to find. Keep the value up as original.

You don't put NOS caps in a radio because you would gain absolutely nothing doing so because the age would be the same as those being replaced.

What you do is purchase NEW caps that are the same capacitance as those that are old. A trick when re-doing an old metal capacitor is to gut it and remove its sections and replace with new caps and retain the original metal housing as the original look.

With respect to tube value... so have value such as the 45 tube as an example. Junking an old radio is a last resort in my opinion because MOST can be rebuilt for very little money and the result is something that can be enjoyed again and passed down to your children.

In my opinion the old AM radios have a special appeal because some of us grew up listening to the stories at night.

6bg6ga
02-24-2014, 07:28 AM
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel/872/M0040872.pdf

Here is a schematic you can actually read and print off.

As you can see its very simple and a good starter piece.

Has a lot of #27 tubes in it and they are easy to find on ebay.