PDA

View Full Version : WHY WE CAST...This + this + buffalo gun = this

pls1911
02-23-2014, 10:06 AM

Same reaction from the whole troop:
"Coollest thing ever!!!"

Sharps and Rolling Block 45/70s, solid hits on steel plate at 230 yards.
RCBS 300-FN, 27.5 grains 2400, Dacron tuft, 12 pound gun = easy and accurate shooting, and maybe a spark for our future.
The smiles from the smallest kids were easily worth a couple of hundred rounds.

dubber123
02-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Awesome! All I got to shoot was lousy .22's :) Good job, and thanks!

pls1911
02-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Once at year at my brother's place, they get the requisite .22s, but also shotguns, 30-30s, and buffalo guns.
Most years, there's also a pig cleaning and smoking as well. This year it was a 120 pound male I would have left for the coyotes, but an overnight hang and a well tended slow 18 hour fire of Hill Country live oak rendered a pretty fair dinner addition.

Generally, the shooting ranks high among best memories.
If casting and reloading economics didn't exist, it's likely we wouldn't be shooting as much.
I guess that applies for all of us, eh?

Also, there were upwards of 250 rounds fired without cleaning... NO LEADING, and accuracy remained as good at the end as the beginning.

Bullshop
02-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Its a great and wonderful thing you have done!!!!!
One little thingy that bothers me though. Not looking for trouble so please don't take this wrong because sometimes we all need reminded. In the pic your finger is on the trigger, or it looks so from what I am seeing. As an instructor it is vitally important to teach the ten commandments of gun safety.

pls1911
02-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Bullshop, Good call and it's very much affirmed by all parties on my end...
These have double set triggers. Use and demonstration and were very deliberately part of the safety instruction.
Once the trigger is set, the shoot trigger has ZERO travel and maybe an ounce of "pull"....maybe.
Supervision was never more than a foot from the shooter, verbally guiding through the multiple steps from sight pictures, the multi-step loading ops and firing procedures, even after the pre-shoot instruction and demo.
Fellow in the photo isn't me, but recent returnee from the far desert and an Army sniper school graduate.
In addition, BSA requires a certified range safety officer present, so he received the first training as a courtesy... and rang the first Gong, keeping my old geezer generation's respect intact.
Again, Good observation, and GREAT call.
Safety observations should always be welcome by all.

DRNurse1
02-23-2014, 11:20 AM
+1 Bullshop, those little guys will pick up nearly everything they see, but only about 1/4 of what they hear. But, this experience, and the safety instilled, will last a lifetime. I still remember the first BP rifle I fired....thanks pls1911 for giving these guys the opportunity.

DRNurse1
--"...I used to be a Bear...." ==SR432

Bullshop
02-23-2014, 11:50 AM
GREAT!!!
No more worries here then. Carry on the GREAT work! My hat is off to you for it.

geargnasher
02-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Good times! That looks like the west Hill Country, and good weather this weekend except an occasional blast of wind. Those smiles are priceless. I take it a few badges were earned by the young men?

Gear

pls1911
02-23-2014, 05:32 PM
A weekend of work toward merit badges, as well as general advancement counseling for younger gents.

Just West and North or Frericksburg and Harper, the place is about the highest in the county where constant 18-20 mph cross winds were experienced. The kids and adults still had about an 80% hit rate on 12x18 plate at the distance with 45-70 and 95% or more with the .308 on 9x9 inch high power plate. Not bulleye great, but not bad for inexperienced kids shooting unfamiliar iron in substantial cross winds. The resounding GONG!!! of a good hit always brought smiles.

Folks light at the front gate after dark, then hike to assigned camp sights (cold camps, no fires!!). The next mroning and thereafter, return to Ranchhouse area for some central meals ... from 9 dutch ovens and a resident smoker, as well as gas burners as needed. After meals, folks split by patrols for events and training.
Full blacksmith shop is up and running too.
The pig was taken by the Blacksmith Friday evening before the youth arrivals using a .30 blackout AR, supressor, and red light flood.

It's a good annual effort by a prior scoutmaster to keep the old troop into traditions started when his sons were active.
One son, now an adult, assists at the forge, and is a good example of a father's pride and a good troop, and what an Eagle Scout should be reflected in a grown man, still young.

He gets married next spring.

jonp
02-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Smile says it all. There is something about loud noises and smoke kids just love

Idaho Mule
02-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Thanks for passing it on, the young ones need to learn. I just began this year's hunter education class as I am sure many others are doing the same. JW

pls1911
02-23-2014, 08:51 PM
IDAHO,
Thanks.
My girls are smiling too:

9762197621CX

pls1911
02-24-2014, 11:17 PM
A little good encouragement from a parent was heard tonight.....
'"All he could talk about was shooting a gun taller than he was!!!"
Now mom and pop are interested in getting more engaged with a kid's new passion, Buffalo guns.
Who knows.. maybe with a little fanning, the spark could become a life long flame.

Bullshop
02-24-2014, 11:28 PM
Once the ignorance is replaced with knowledge so goes the fear of guns. Good job! Keep battling the ignorance.

kawasakifreak77
02-25-2014, 04:11 AM
I was in the scouts when I was a boy & the coolest darn thing I got to do was fore a (iirc) .73 caliber civil war musket. Stinking thing didn't even hit the target but man it was cool! They wouldn't let me load it though..

Walter Laich
02-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Awesome! All I got to shoot was lousy .22's :) Good job, and thanks!

can't find or afford .22 ammo now. Guess .45-70 would be the next step up:)