PDA

View Full Version : Testing my handi work

Blanco
02-23-2014, 01:00 AM
Finally had a chance to make it to the local indoor range to test my cast loads.
My Lee 125 Gr. 9mm loaded with 3.5 gr. of Red Dot and shot thru my Beretta 92 were fairly accurate. They all seemed to hit a bit below the point of aim, and where my other plated Berry's 115 grain were hitting.
The only issue was THE SMOKE... I could only shoot 3 in a row and I would have to pause for 30~45 seconds. Thank goodness the ventilation system was working.
I also made up some .40 S&W 175 gr. Lee TC. with 6.2 gr. Unique.
I shot these thru my S&W M&P
These were very accurate and not nearly as smoky. For a comparison I had 2 other similar loadings to compare it to.
I had same bullet driven by 4.3 Gr. of Green Dot. These were more accurate than the unique load but wit a good bit more recoil.
Then we had my favorite.
A 45 ACP with a 200 gr. Lee SWC I used 4.5 Grains of Trail Boss to push this one.
Extremely pleasant and accurate, a little smoky but not horrible. I used my Glock 21 for these. No issues at all.
I lubed all my bullets with the bees wax and Johnsons wax, using the tumble method. I liked the way everything shot, but the smoke was just too much. I will have to investigate other coatings. I really like the idea of copper electroplating the lead.
I will be experimenting with that soon

DaveSpud
02-23-2014, 01:11 AM
How did your bores look? Any leading?

There's a whole forum on lubes.

Blanco
02-23-2014, 07:15 AM
Yeah ... Believe me, I think I have read most of the posts under the lubes section.
The Smith& Wesson did have some traces of lead.
The S&W is / was a brand new gun. It shot well but for some reason the point of bullet impact was well below my point of aim.
It took quite a few rounds before I was able to put the holes where I wanted them. My Brother I Law picks the gun up ... first time and lobs 15 through the same spot. Kinda made me mad.

leftiye
02-23-2014, 07:19 AM
Pay attention to your grip. Rigid is good (not white knuckles). I've got an EAA Witness with an aftermarket buffer. With milder loads it will not cycle for my son in law or his gramps, but I have no problem (and I'm making no conscious effort of any kind). Apparently I'm more of a resistance to rearward movement than their hands/wrists are.

jonp
02-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Congrats on the success. I know I've read a couple of threads specificaly on smoke, lubes and indoor ranges. You might try searching a little more on the forum about that

Blanco
02-23-2014, 09:45 AM
I have no issues with my Beretta 96. It shoots so good it almost becomes boring putting bullets through the same hole. I think the whole issue is just getting used to a different gun. When I sight the Beretta i put the dot of the front sight just above the bottom flat of the rear sight. On the Smith I seemed to have to put the front sight in line with the two corners of the top of the rear sight.
I might check to see if a lower front sight is available ?

lwknight
02-23-2014, 12:51 PM
With most pistols , lighter loads or bullets will hit lower. There is a balance zone where the sights are set up for.
Typically heavy bullets will hit higher than lighter bullets because they are slower. The longer the bullet is in the barrel under pressure , the more recoil time.
I don't think I would go changing the sight unless it was low with everything.

Blanco
02-23-2014, 12:59 PM
it may just be me and my shooting? The BIL had no issues.
It may just be a familiarity thing and getting in the groove :Fire:

runfiverun
02-23-2014, 01:57 PM
the grip shape can make a difference in impact point on target.
the gun rides differently in your hand, and the shape seems to fit his hand better.
if the gun has changeable grip inserts try the flatter insert and then the bulged one for your hand-eye-target alignment.
you can also change where/how you grip the gun to make some differences in the poi.
moving your hand up/down can help.