PDA

View Full Version : Pawn shop score

Newtire
02-22-2014, 09:47 PM
97734Went out looking for that one great bargain and came up with a "lifetime supply" of shoeshine stuff for $5.00. (Maybe start a business out at the Boise Airport in my retirement?). On the way home decided to stop in the Pawn Shop on the main highway just outside of town. I saw a huge accumulation of old ammo behind the counter and ended up taking home just shy of 200 rounds of .22 Hornet loaded ammo in MTM boxes for $40.00. Nice cases, IMR 4227 powder, 200 .22 bullets-I'm set for awhile. Now just have to buy a Hornet of my own and give back the one I borrowed!

knobster
02-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Wow. Lucky score indeed.

472x1B/A
02-22-2014, 10:29 PM
If all the planets are lined up right, one can really make a killin in a pawn shop. Especially if the items have been sitting on the shelves for a while and they want them moving out. Sounds like you did good Newtire.

obssd1958
02-23-2014, 01:02 AM
He's such a lucky duck!!!!!!

-but it couldn't happen to a nicer guy - that's the truth!!

LUBEDUDE
02-23-2014, 11:03 PM
Every now and then Pawn Shopping pays off,

Congrats!

rockshooter
02-23-2014, 11:42 PM
what does "shine shoes" mean? If I kick a cowpie with my boots they do look sorta shiney- for a bit.
Loren

GOPHER SLAYER
02-27-2014, 03:05 PM
The bullets alone are worth more than $40.

timspawn
02-27-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm kind of fond of pawn shops too.......

ksfowler166
02-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Where in the world did you get a lifetime supply of shoe polish? Did someone mug a shoe shiner and sell his polish to the pawn shop? By the way nice score on the ammo, I have never seen reloads at a pawn shop though.

Newtire
02-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Where in the world did you get a lifetime supply of shoe polish? Did someone mug a shoe shiner and sell his polish to the pawn shop? By the way nice score on the ammo, I have never seen reloads at a pawn shop though.I may have exaggerated just a leetle but it was a big box of mink oil and shoe polish and brushes etc. I about choked when I bought shoe polish in the store last time. I hate paying the retail + 50% Fred Meyers prices.

CastingFool
02-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Nice score. Let us know when you get your own Hornet and post a picture of it!

Blacksmith
02-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Wear suede shoes, blue or another color, and no shining required.:grin:

TXGunNut
02-27-2014, 11:27 PM
Really? You bought ammo you don't own a gun for? I LIKE IT!!! :-) Sounds like something I'd do. I've resolved a number of times (unsuccessfully!) to avoid buying firearms chambered for cartridges I don't load for....did they have any dies?

Newtire
02-27-2014, 11:37 PM
Really? You bought ammo you don't own a gun for? I LIKE IT!!! :-) Sounds like something I'd do. I've resolved a number of times (unsuccessfully!) to avoid buying firearms chambered for cartridges I don't load for....did they have any dies?Why would I need dies...I bought a set of those a couple of weeks ago. This way, when I get a rifle in this chambering, it won't cost me anything for dies, brass, even moulds ( I have 2 moulds and gaschecks and sizers and neck expander).

I almost have to buy a hornet barrel now ya see? It makes perfect sense I tell ya. I'm not one of those guys you hear about who are addicted to guns either-I just like em an awful lot is all.

TXGunNut
02-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Can't say a thing. Found a live 45 Colt round on the ground on a public rifle range years ago. Was a hot day so I mused about it quite a bit while the rifle barrel cooled. Now I have four...umm...five (I think) guns chambered for that cartridge.
All kidding aside, cool round. Buddy has Martini in 22 Hornet that is pretty awesome, easy on the powder & lead and it shoots tiny little groups.