PDA

View Full Version : How hard to R&R a hard drive

fecmech
02-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Gentlemen: My hard drive is starting to give off some strange noises. Backed it up to my external drive last night so I'm ok there. How difficult is it to change one of these things? What do I look for in a new one. My current drive is a WD 80 gig that was replaced a few years ago by a local computer outfit. My computer is a Gateway Pentium 4 240 GHz unit running XP. About all I've ever done is R&R memory and vacuum the fans in my computer. I don't game or anything, just surf and email etc.

uscra112
02-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Simple screwdriver job if you have the right replacement.

Jailer
02-22-2014, 05:11 PM
The actualy replacement is an easy job. What you need before you do is cloning software so that the new drive will work in your machine. Simply copying a bunch of files over to a backup drive won't give you a bootable drive.

Most new hard drives come with cloning software. Just make sure the new unit is a retail drive and not an OEM drive. OEM drives are just the drive and nothing else.

sidecarmike
02-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Plug and play. The pain is reloading your software. Even with your backup, you will usually have to reinstall the operating system before you can restore from backup.

bangerjim
02-22-2014, 05:22 PM
We are now into the terrabyte drive sizes now!

You can pick up one for $60-80 most times. Living in a large area like you do, there should be many computer stores that sell HD's.

Just make sure your system supports SATA if you go that route.

Restoration/reinstall of WIN will be the biggest job. If you backed up with a commercial software program that backs up EVERYTHING, including the entire operating system, then you are OK. Other wise, all you have on your "back-up" are your files and not the installed running apps and operating system and all it unique files. And Win has TONS of them!!!!!!!

I have done it many times.

Good luck.

banger

phaessler
02-22-2014, 06:34 PM
It is a scheduled maintenance item for me , and as mentioned, you will either need a commercial back-up software or once reinstalling the operating system, and the anti-virus, then you will need to start from scratch with any programs you want to reinstall, and be sure to get the updates while your going thru the trouble.
Biggest thing is once you power up, the BIOS is looking for boot commands / sequence, where to go, it looks to the hard drive, which will be empty. Before you unplug the old hard drive be sure your machine looks to a dvd/cd drive first then the hard drive, it will make it easier if you actually have the operating system on cd/DVD. If the back-up used to preserve your entire machine is on an external, then the "cloning" should be relatively easy as long as it knows where to look. This not that hard. The external typically has provision for a reinstall in its software.
While not an expert on this, I have been here before.

lancem
02-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Done it a bunch of times, use cloning software like, http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

Make a clone of your drive, now all a my drives are SATA and I just clone the new drive in a SATA docking station then take and install it into the machine replacing the old one. Since you probably don't have a docking station most desktop computers are set up to take two drives, simply install the new drive as the second drive and then using the cloning software clone the C: drive on to it. Once that is done simply turn off the machine install the new drive as the C: drive, start it up and go. You can then save the old drive as an emergency back up since it has everything on it up to that point software wise and do your normal backups to your external. This way if the new drive craps out in a year unexpectedly you can install the old drive, clone it again, and then do an update from your backup files and probably be good to go except for any new software you may have installed in the mean time.

Cmm_3940
02-22-2014, 07:03 PM
I used this product when I migrated my HDD to SSD. It will also do everything you need to migrate to a new HDD. Just install the new drive as a second drive, run the migration software, and remove the old disk drive. This is assuming, of course, that the old drive is still working.

http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/

fecmech
02-22-2014, 08:00 PM
My backup installs everything including the operating system I believe. I got a virus a year ago and my backup asked if I wanted to wipe the hard drive, I clicked yes and it did the whole thing. I have a boot disc for the backup. What is SATA and how do I know if my system supports it? My computer is from about 2002-2003.

bearcove
02-22-2014, 08:14 PM
I use a 20lb sledgehammer feel much better after that.

Jailer
02-22-2014, 08:40 PM
My backup installs everything including the operating system I believe. I got a virus a year ago and my backup asked if I wanted to wipe the hard drive, I clicked yes and it did the whole thing. I have a boot disc for the backup. What is SATA and how do I know if my system supports it? My computer is from about 2002-2003.

SATA is Serial ATA. In simple terms it's the type of data cable connection the hard drive uses to connect to the motherboard. Tell us what brand and model of computer is it and we can tell you what you need.

popper
02-22-2014, 09:03 PM
WD 80 will not be SATA. Clone now if you can. I'd stay with the ATA drive for now.

fecmech
02-22-2014, 09:19 PM
Computer is a Gateway Model MFATXPNTMDW500SP4H. SN. 0031461721 MFG. 6/2003

motherboard model is Intel d865glc bios Gatewa 20030425

Cmm_3940
02-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Many computers from this era had both PATA and SATA interfaces. Post the model number of your computer and we should be able to figure it out. Better yet, take the cover off and get the manufacturer + model off of the motherboard.

Garyshome
02-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Best deal will be from Newegg. Try to get free shipping also. Most likely be an ata drive and not a sata. You need to look and see what type of connection it has before you buy one. Just google ata and then sata.

fecmech
02-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Many computers from this era had both PATA and SATA interfaces. Post the model number of your computer and we should be able to figure it out. Better yet, take the cover off and get the manufacturer + model off of the motherboard.
motherboard model is Intel d865glc bios Gatewa 20030425

Mal Paso
02-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Desktop?

You need an IDE or EIDE Hard Drive. Saw just now a WD 250 for $44. It has 2 Plugs. 1 power 1 data ribbon cable. Plug the new drive into the second plug on original hard drive cable and any available power plug. Transfer files then move the last plug on the ribbon cable to the new drive. The drives used to have jumpers to change drive positions but I doubt you'll run in to one now. Mostly plug and play.

Cmm_3940
02-22-2014, 09:51 PM
OK that model looks like it has both PATA and SATA interfaces. See Page 39 of this doc under IDE support:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15206/eng/D865GBF_D865GLC_TechProdSpec.pdf

From what I see at this link, your computer probably came with a PATA type hard drive.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-500s-p4-2/4507-3118_7-7228069.html

These are less common now, but you can still get them. Most home computer hard drives now use the SATA interface. According to the doc, you have two of those interfaces, so you should still be OK if you choose to get an SATA disk. Just be aware that the data cable and power connector are going to look different on the new drive. Use the .pdf to determine where to connect SATA drives and make any necessary change to the BIOS boot sequence.

Most new hard disks are huge compared to what you have now. a new 2Tb disk is about 25 times bigger than the 80Gb disk you have now. I do not recommend getting one of these big disks, due to any possible limitations your current BIOS may have. I'd say to avoid problems, get a couple to a few hundred Gb and be happy with the nice upgrade.

As has been mentioned, Newegg is probably your best bet for buying computer parts.

fecmech
02-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I went to Newegg and found this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1740111
It looks like it's the same as what I have so unless I'm on the wrong page I'll get it. I have no need for any more space as I've only used less than half of the 80 gig I have now.

Cmm_3940
02-22-2014, 11:01 PM
That will certainly work, just be aware that you are paying a premium price to get an unusually small drive.

uscra112
02-22-2014, 11:50 PM
XP doesn't support the dataspace of these gigunzo new drives anyway, so just get something like what you've already got.

fecmech
02-23-2014, 12:07 AM
I just found the same drive at Amazon for $42, exact same as what I have. Thanks to all.

legend 550
02-23-2014, 12:29 AM
Be careful on your drive capacity a 1 TB drive may be considered a high capacity assault drive and a felony to posses in the state of NY. :wink:

Jailer
02-23-2014, 12:36 AM
XP doesn't support the dataspace of these gigunzo new drives anyway, so just get something like what you've already got.

Yes it does. The BIOS is the limiting factor on large hard drive support not the operating system.

fecmech be advised that the drive you selected does not come with any clonig software. As long as your current backup drive will clone a new drive you're ok but if not you'll need cloning software.

454PB
02-23-2014, 12:39 AM
I used this yesterday to backup and restore an XP system, worked like a charm and FREE.

http://redobackup.org/

lylejb
02-23-2014, 03:00 AM
Thanks to all who replied. I went to Newegg and found this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1740111
It looks like it's the same as what I have so unless I'm on the wrong page I'll get it. I have no need for any more space as I've only used less than half of the 80 gig I have now.

or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G15X2315

Twice the capacity, same price.

shaper
02-23-2014, 12:58 PM
I contacted Microsoft when I had a problem with my computer. I was told that as of Jan. of this year Microsoft will no longer support windows XP. I guess they have something new they want to sell to everyone.

StratsMan
02-23-2014, 02:53 PM
I contacted Microsoft when I had a problem with my computer. I was told that as of Jan. of this year Microsoft will no longer support windows XP. I guess they have something new they want to sell to everyone.

I assume you're kidding us, and haven't been living under a rock... M'soft has released 2 new desktop operating systems since the last release of XP....

Dale in Louisiana
02-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Put me down for SSD (solid-state drives). The smaller ones are cheap, so replacing the hard drive on a laptop with an equivalent sized SSD isn't too much bucks, but the difference in the speed can be significant, especially on on start-up.

dale in Louisiana

454PB
02-23-2014, 04:03 PM
I assume you're kidding us, and haven't been living under a rock... M'soft has released 2 new desktop operating systems since the last release of XP....

Let's see.......XP, Vista, Win. 7, Win 8, Win.8.1.

And XP support mends this April.

Fishman
02-23-2014, 10:31 PM
So to get this straight, one could replace the hard drive in a 7-8 year old laptop with a ssd?

scb
02-23-2014, 10:51 PM
Put me down for SSD (solid-state drives). The smaller ones are cheap, so replacing the hard drive on a laptop with an equivalent sized SSD isn't too much bucks, but the difference in the speed can be significant, especially on on start-up.

dale in Louisiana

+1 Fast and no moving parts