PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions of Ruger Scope Rings?

Alan in Vermont
02-22-2014, 04:28 PM
I have a bit of an issue with the scope positioning on my Ruger 77/22 Hornet. Scope is a Leupold Vari-X II, 3-9x40, rings are whatever Ruger shipped with it, I believe them to be Ruger # 4KTG. There isn't identifying mark 1 on them so I can't be sure of much of anything. As near as I can measure the distance from top of the base, which is part of the receiver, to bottom of the scope tube is 9/16".

Problem I'm having is that the objective bell is against the front ring and I have to crawl the stock to get the full view through the scope. That also means I am having to look through the very top of my glasses where the lenses are losing their clarity. The whole position just isn't conducive to really good shooting.

In an ideal world I would go a little higher and an offset front ring to move the scope up and back. Would be easy with a one piece Weaver style base but I would just as soon not go that route.

I have tried researching Ruger bases but everything I come up with is just their part numbers with no dimensions. My google-fu isn't worth beans which doesn't help. Does anyone know where the dimensions of the Ruger rings can be found. I know Ruger has at least one height of offset ring available but I am not sure if it offsets to the front or rear. That matters because the Ruger rings are keyed into the machined bases and only fit one way.

Worst case is I end up at the LGS and pay long $ the right pieces and I would like to avoid that if I can.

rockshooter
02-22-2014, 10:57 PM
I measured the 5K bases and they are about 9/16" as you mentioned for the 4ktg you have. Overall height is 1.063. I found the following at the Ruger shop ruger site for your rifle:
Scope Rings & Scope Adapters

Use the search below to find the right scope rings or scope base adapter for your firearm.

Step 1: Select your search options.
Scope Rings

Submit
Ruger Scope Rings are packaged and sold individually. All available scope ring sizes for this firearm are shown in the table below, all shown in a finish designed to match this firearm. Once you select a ring size, you will have the opportunity to choose another finish if you desire. Please review the table carefully to ensure you are ordering the correct size ring.
Step 2: Select the Scope Ring Size.
Scope Tube Diameter Scope Objective Diameter Scope Height Front Scope Ring Rear Scope Ring
1 inch 42MM Medium 4B 4B
1 inch 52MM High 5B 5B
1 inch 62MM X-High 6B 6B
30MM 42MM 30MM Medium 4B30 4B30
30MM 52MM 30MM High 5B30 5B30
30MM 62MM 30MM X-High 6B30 6B30
Key: 3-Low Ring, 4-Medium Ring, 5-High Ring, 6-Extra High Ring View Engineering Drawing
Red Type: Indicates Rings shipped with firearm at original purchase.
* Indicates Offset Rings which feature one or two rings (single, double) that are offset to the rear by 1/2" to allow rearward positioning of the scope.

If you have questions about scope rings for your rifle or revolver, contact the New Hampshire Customer Service Department at 603-865-2442. For questions about pistol or PC carbine rifle scope rings, contact the Arizona Customer Service Department at 928-778-6555. You can also click here to download the Ruger Scope Ring Charts which may help answer your questions as well.

I would call the 928-778-6555 number and ask them
Loren

BK7saum
02-23-2014, 12:05 AM
Currently Ruger 77/22 hornet ships with #5 rings. I can measure mine tomorrow. #5 are high rings.

BK7saum
02-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Ruger ring chart at Midway which is the info above. But they don't have the measurement of ring heights.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CD4QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.midwayusa.com%2Fpdf%2Frefer ence%2Fruger_ring_chart.pdf&ei=WHQJU8S1HOXu0AGV6oHACw&usg=AFQjCNHxA3o-8dD9ejJlxz4cLyvJBMbycA

BK7saum
02-23-2014, 01:08 AM
My #5 rings measure 0.569" from bottom of ring saddle to top of receiver.

Alan in Vermont
02-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Fantastic, thank you very much! That gives me a starting point no that I know what I have. I have what appears(going by the chart at Midway and the measurement BK7 has on his) to be 5B rings(blued alloy) rather than the 5KTG (stainless target gray) called out in the chart. The big problem now is that Ruger does not offer an offset 5 height ring. There are adapters out there for the rifle that will adapt the Ruger bases to a Weaver/Picatinny pattern mount. Leupold has rings that fit the Weaver bases and have an offset but I'm not sure on the height, time to research Leupold for that information.

Thanks again.

pietro
02-24-2014, 10:13 PM

Ruger has an apps chart for every ring size, with various scope tube & Obj lens sizes, for every Ruger rifle:

http://shopruger.com/PDF/ScopeRingChart.pdf