PDA

View Full Version : What is PID

Bullshop Junior
02-22-2014, 01:44 PM
I keep seeing this and I havr no idea what it is. Can someone please explain?

btroj
02-22-2014, 01:47 PM
In short it is an electronic controller that allows the use of a temp probe to maintain a very consistent temp. Keeps a lead pot at a very closely controlled, and preset, temperature. Useful on a lube heater too.

I don't have one. Have considered it but not yet.

jmort
02-22-2014, 01:51 PM
A fairly simple electronic "thing" that will keep you melting pot at around +/- 2 degrees. Many/ most made their own, I bought mine and it works real good. You can live without for sure, but it really makes things easier. If you want to see one, go to Vendor Forum and check out ButternutZ. That is the one I have. Very happy with it.

ipijohn
02-22-2014, 01:57 PM
I bought one from Frozone (on this forum) for my lead pot , liked it so well that I made one for my grill and another for my crock pot and another for my convection oven that I cook PCed boolits in. The one from Frozone was more expensive and has more/better features than the ones I made with $30 kits off of fleebay but they all work very well.

lwknight
02-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Officially:
" A proportional-integral-derivative controller is a generic control loop feedback mechanism widely used in industrial control systems."

It uses fuzzy logic which is a learning mode that can calculate your heating requirements and shut off or turn on the heater before the temperature is overshot. A simple thermostat might let your temp swing because of lag time in the element.

btroj
02-22-2014, 02:26 PM
I sure hope you aren't asking about pelvic inflammatory disease.

GlocksareGood
02-22-2014, 03:26 PM
Buy one. You will sware by it. They are wonderful on pots and heat treating ovens just to name two.

Hardcast416taylor
02-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Okay. I`ll ask the "old man type stoopid question". How would it be hooked in to work on an RCBS 22 lb. pot?Robert

jmort
02-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Plug the electrical cord into the PID and put probe in pot

snuffy
02-22-2014, 07:21 PM
PID means;PID stands for Proportional, Integral, Derivative. Controllers are designed to eliminate the need for continuous operator attention.

They are a tiny microprocessor, that is a fancy thermostat.

[QUOT]Okay. I`ll ask the "old man type stoopid question". How would it be hooked in to work on an RCBS 22 lb. pot?Robert [/QUOTE]

A thermocouple has to be immersed in the lead to read it's temp.

Here's how mine is held suspended in the alloy.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/mattswedding/websize/TC%20mount%20001.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/mattswedding/websize/TC%20mount%20004.jpg

leadman
02-22-2014, 11:08 PM
I rethreaded a t-nut to 6mm and brazed it to the bottom of my RCBS pot and drilled a hole in the outside case so the thermocouple (without long probe) is contacting the outside of the bottom of the pot. Just easier than trying to flux around the probe in the pot.
I did make one for another member here and made a bracket that was held on with the 1/4" bolt on top of the pot. I built one today for a Lee 4-20 pot and mounted the probe with a bracket held on by one of the little screws on the top rim.
I found in using the pid that the cast weight of the boolits is much closer than when using the thermostat alone.

I have been leaving the pots original thermostat alone so it will act as a safety device if for some reason the pid goes bad. Someone said that the SSR (solid state relay) goes wide open if it fails. Don't know of this is true or not.

I have also run into 2 different controllers on E-bay. One has the output for a relay, the other for an SSR. The relay controller will not operate an SSR as it has no dc voltage to power the switch so another device would have to be in the loop somewhere or a different relay used.

geargnasher
02-22-2014, 11:33 PM
I sure hope you aren't asking about pelvic inflammatory disease.

In my field "PID" is the acronym for Parameter IDentification and is generically used to mean any single, live data value.

Gear

btroj
02-23-2014, 12:32 AM
A PID is often attached to the pot by an L shaped bracket. These are not easy to make quickly. They are usually made by long periods of just playing around with scraps of metal. Yes, this is what is meant by PID-L ing around......

geargnasher
02-23-2014, 01:05 AM
One can always judge a "flatlander" around here because they don't know not to PID'l up-hill. :)

Gear

leftiye
02-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Where can I get one that is good for our purposes that doesn't cost more than an old Lyman pot?

btroj
02-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Where can I get one that is good for our purposes that doesn't cost more than an old Lyman pot?

I don't know of one of hose exists. If you find one, let me know, I want one too.

I just haven't decided I need a 175 dollar heat controller on my pot. Sure don't want one on my sizer.

RedHawk357Mag
02-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Although 99% sure you aren't talking the military version of PID here on a cast forum, but the military and I assume LE also refers to it as "POSITIVE ID" a requirement for us in a Shoot/NO Shoot situation.

w5pv
02-23-2014, 09:57 AM
If you come across a VariAct buy it.It is a devise that will keep a constant votage on an electrical devise and can use it on many other electrial devises.I use mine for bring up things that haven't been ran in a while on low voltage to high voltage plus on my melter works fine.

wch
02-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Taking a hint from a previous post, a PID is apparently a thingumabob with a doohickey.

Screwbolts
02-23-2014, 10:34 AM

If you are "handy" at assembling electrical devises, the PID, SSR and Thermocoplers can be bought on Amazon quite reasonable.

I have both the TET612 and the JDL612 models working multiple devices by using plugs on the thermocouples. to attach them to different toys, Star, Shotmaster and casting pots.

For project boxs I simply recycled "old" RC car battery, metal charger box's (Arista-Craft) that were on the shelf for years. Now I know why these boxs/cases were saved and why they were given to me years ago. I just realized I might have another over in that box there. :-)

Ken
Ken

dondiego
02-23-2014, 11:11 AM
PID = Performance Indication Device. Used to determine when your water filter has exceeded it's life expectancy. If the red light comes on, change out your filter. If you use it on your lead pot and the light comes on, you need to get new alloy.

BattleRife
02-23-2014, 12:01 PM
I will use this thread to air my opinion that the term PID is misused around here. The thing we are talking about is a PLC, Programmable Logic Controller. Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) is essentially an adjective to describe what specific type of PLC people are using to aid their casting.

bangerjim
02-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Buy one. You will sware by it. They are wonderful on pots and heat treating ovens just to name two.

Buy one......you will swear AT it! All those wires and cords hanging off your pot and casting table. Not worth the danger and mess.

And tuning a PID controller CORRECTLY (!!!!!) is not that easy. I sell them..............and do not use one! Don't even use a pot thermometer. Just good old school of hard knocks knowledge and observation.

banger

bangerjim
02-23-2014, 12:32 PM
I will use this thread to air my opinion that the term PID is misused around here. The thing we are talking about is a PLC, Programmable Logic Controller. Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) is essentially an adjective to describe what specific type of PLC people are using to aid their casting.

A PLC has programmable starts & stops, ramps and soaks and uses ladder logic. And rarely has any type of integral digital process display. They are generally rack-mounted and tie into a back-plane buss that talks to a main mother module and separate 24vdc power supply.

That little cheap thing most people on here are using is a simple cheap toy.......AND it is a prop-int-dir CONTROLLER, not a PLC. You need a computer to program a PLC. And the software to do it!

bangerjim

bangerjim
02-23-2014, 12:37 PM
PID = Performance Indication Device. Used to determine when your water filter has exceeded it's life expectancy. If the red light comes on, change out your filter. If you use it on your lead pot and the light comes on, you need to get new alloy.

Wrong industry! We are talking temperature control here not water quality!

PID to us is proportional-integral-deravitive, the mathematical functions and gain/feedback factors used to tune and run a control loop, in this case temperature. They can be used to control pressure, temp, flow, level, just about anything in modern industry.

But not what you described. That is a unique product designed and built for the water industry and works on back pressure and conductivity.

banger

bangerjim
02-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Plug the electrical cord into the PID and put probe in pot

A little more involved. You have to have a box to put the controller in, all the wiring and know how to hook it up, a plug on the box wired to the correct PID terminals (it ONLY has screw terminals in the back!) to plug your pot into, iso-thermic plug for the t/c wire to plug in, t/c wire/mounting for your pot, and a t/c. And then figure out how to tune the thing properly to control accurately. And then have wires running here & there on your casting bench connecting all that stuff up.

If you are an engineer, or have significant experience in building, wiring and configuring electronic gadgets, you will be just fine.

There are expensive but pre-built products on here somewhere that are "plug-n-play". But someone else has spent the time and money building it for you.

I do not use a controller and get perfect boolits. Never have.....never will. And I sell these things...basically free to me...including all the bells & whistles.

I certainly do not want to discourage stout-hearted people out there to do this, but I am a graduate process engineer, know all the in's and out's of process control and wiring, and still do not have/want one! Best bet is to buy a pre-configured set-up.......if you want to spend the money.

banger

lwknight
02-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Jim , you make it sound almost scary trying to set up a pid controller.
Its not that hard to build one. I mounted everything to the back splash on my work bench. No box. I could put a cover around it if I cared that much for aesthetics I guess.
I spent about $70.00 bucks and 30-40 minutes wiring it up and good to go.
I used a 24v transformer and contactor.
The controller passes 24v to the contactor and the contactor passes 110 to the pot.

Hardcast416taylor
02-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Gentlemen all. I wish to thank all of you for answering this old mans query about this device. Seeing as how I have been casting for over 50 years without such a device I have come to the conclusion that I`ll stay casting the same way I always have, without this "thing".Robert

Pakprotector
02-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Proportional-Integral-Derivative

Correction signal is proportional to difference between set point and measured value. Integral...control signal is based on a time integration of the diff between set point and measured value. Derivative...control signal is based on rate of change between measured value and set point.

Now since this beastie only turns the mot from ON to OFF I am having issues believing it is truly PID...but I have no idea just how it decides to turn it on and off and how often it does that.
cheers,
Douglas

felix
02-23-2014, 03:39 PM
You answered your own question in your first paragraph. That is why setting the parameters during the desired time interval is called calibrate. ALL auto-control devices, PID inclusive or not, need to have a personal interaction set-up. Go figure the complication involved in setting parameters for a car's engine, considering the different drivers and how often calibration takes place. Not to mention wear and tear on the hardware sensors and drivers. ... felix

lwknight
02-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Now since this beastie only turns the mot from ON to OFF I am having issues believing it is truly PID...but I have no idea just how it decides to turn it on and off and how often it does that.
cheers,
Douglas
Its smart. It learns. It predicts.

bangerjim
02-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Proportional-Integral-Derivative

Correction signal is proportional to difference between set point and measured value. Integral...control signal is based on a time integration of the diff between set point and measured value. Derivative...control signal is based on rate of change between measured value and set point.

cheers,
Douglas

You are right. PID is normally used in analog PROPORTIOAL control loops where a 4-20 madc process variable (or t/c or RTD) supplies an input signal. The gain/reset/and rate (other names for P-I-D) are adjusted to provide a smooth ramp up/ramp down to and around a specific set point determined by the setting on the front of the box. The output then varies proportionally to the deviation from the set point. That output is an analog signal, normally 1-5VDC or 4-20 madc to control various industrial equipment. You can "dial in" integral and derivative into on-off control algorhythms, but they are not normally used.

What these little things used with the pots are doing is "proportional on-off" control by switching a solid-state relay on and off to the power to the pot. Not REALLY PID control, but you can mess with the three parameters try and tune it. I used to teach classes that lasted a week showing new engineers and field techs how to properly tune P+I+D on control loops for pressure, temp, flow, and level, among other industrial techniques.

What those little 1/16 DIN controllers are doing is rudimentary to real control, but that is all that is needed....simple on-off (like a solid state thermostat someone said above) control of the heating element.

I could go on for a long time on how to tune controllers! But I will not bore y'all~! I have done it or over 38 years. Started with pneumatic controllers in power plants and have moved to solid state stuff today, including PLC's.

banger

'74 sharps
02-23-2014, 07:13 PM
I'll pass on another piece of equipment to have for casting, and the mold temp will still be a variable with or without one.

felix
02-23-2014, 09:44 PM
Don't forget pressure regulation of the pot's drop into the mold. Must include density of the lead giving best precision. ... felix

popper
02-23-2014, 10:02 PM
PID is a device to get you lead melted as fast as possible without temp overshoot. It will also keep the temp accurately. It is not necessary but works well.

lwknight
02-23-2014, 11:59 PM
I guess I could elaborate a little more on 1 detail often overlooked.
The common controller actually has 2 switch circuits. One of which is a low or high alarm that can couble as a contactor controller. It would be possible to set up parameters to include using the secondary (alarm) switch to operate 2 separate elements. We don't really need that though.

With a little engineering, you could have a heater that would kick in auxiliary heat when the temperature dropped off too much. eg: assaulting the pot with a large cold ingot.

I even contemplated using a dual heater setup for smelting. It would involve using 3 separate gas regulators and 2 solenoids to the burner.
Regulator #1 would burn a low maintenance flame.
#2 would be set with the solenoid with high pressure gas on the low alarm circuit.
#3 would be set medium pressure with the solenoid on the regular temp control circuit.

MaryB
02-24-2014, 01:35 AM
PID's are also handy for turning chest freezers into a super high efficiency refrigerator. I run one for my solar setup.

dondiego
02-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Wrong industry! We are talking temperature control here not water quality!

PID to us is proportional-integral-deravitive, the mathematical functions and gain/feedback factors used to tune and run a control loop, in this case temperature. They can be used to control pressure, temp, flow, level, just about anything in modern industry.

But not what you described. That is a unique product designed and built for the water industry and works on back pressure and conductivity.

banger

banger - It was a joke! .........

bangerjim
02-24-2014, 12:21 PM
banger - It was a joke! .........

I know! :drinks: But there are ACTUALLY control/monitoring devices that monitor the DP and conductivity across water filters (commercial/industrial, not home junk) that do exactly that!

banger