PDA

View Full Version : 300 gn 45's....ready to play checkers

bangerjim
02-21-2014, 08:54 PM
CHECKERS, ANYONE????????????????????????????

Shot a bunch of these 300 gn 45LC's thru my Rossi lever and Circuit Judge this last weekend. Just had to renew my stash. So now I need to reload these and get ready for some more fun. That big boolit has a good kick to it when it hits! Flies very straight, long, and accurate with 4.7g TightGroup. Nice smooth load. Was hitting the pop bottles filled with water pretty regular at 50 yards. The Judge with a 1X Red Dot was amazing!The wife even liked shooting the Judge. Hit a couple bottles 1st try.

Black is one coat ES. Red is one coat DT. Time for some grouping comparisons with same load.

More fun to come. Good thing I do not have to worry about running out of lead shooting 300gn at a time.

banger

Bullshop Junior
02-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Dang. Thats a light load. I usually shove mine over about 24 grains of H110

bangerjim
02-22-2014, 05:08 PM
...and you still have your hands and face left? ( I know you tried to shoot off your foot earlier! [smilie=1:)

OMG.

There is NO published data for H110 for any 45LC loads I can find. And I have 4 books. And a computer!

TG is #9 on the chart.........H110 is #49.

Heaviest weight for a 300gn LC slug load is for the dirty, slow, & cumbersome Unique at 4.8-6.1gn. TG is 3.7-4.7.

You better check your loads B4 letting any of those fly! You would hard stretched to even get 24gn in that 45LC case w/o compressed load.

Are you sure you are not confusing that load with one for a 454 Casull????????

Remember.......I am shooting 45 LONG COLT here. Just so someone out there is not lead astray and blows their gun up! And face. And hands.

bangerjim

Bullshop Junior
02-22-2014, 05:47 PM
My book shows 23.1 as a max load with a 300gn jacketed. I shoot the 300 in both cases with the same powder charge, just seat to differant crimp grooves.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/23/utu6ubej.jpg

And I accidently hit a 4 instead of 3. I meant 23gn.

DougGuy
02-22-2014, 05:51 PM
There is NO published data for H110 for any 45LC loads I can find. And I have 4 books. And a computer!

Remember.......I am shooting 45 LONG COLT here. Just so someone out there is not lead astray and blows their gun up! And face. And hands.

bangerjim

Huh?? H110 for .45 Colt is one of the most popular loads known to man! Check Hodgdon's site, load data abounds albeit for the RUGER ONLY loads. It would be safe to say that there are no recommended H110 loads for the original SAAMI spec of 14,000psi for an old Colt, S&W, or clone in .45 Colt caliber.

24.0gr H110 under the 300gr boolit is PUSHING IT for .45 Colt I can tell you that much without even looking it up!

I am using that same boolit seated out long and I max out at 22.5gr to be on the safe side, no pressure signs, no flattened primers, easy enough extraction of empties.

P.S. Them's some purtie boolits Jim!

Bullshop Junior
02-22-2014, 06:01 PM
28.2 starting 31.4 is the max load in the casuall, so for my gun in way within the safe range. 23 really isnt that hot of a load.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/23/pu9ahytu.jpg

bangerjim
02-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Huh?? H110 for .45 Colt is one of the most popular loads known to man! Check Hodgdon's site, load data abounds albeit for the RUGER ONLY loads. It would be safe to say that there are no recommended H110 loads for the original SAAMI spec of 14,000psi for an old Colt, S&W, or clone in .45 Colt caliber.

24.0gr H110 under the 300gr boolit is PUSHING IT for .45 Colt I can tell you that much without even looking it up!

I am using that same boolit seated out long and I max out at 22.5gr to be on the safe side, no pressure signs, no flattened primers, easy enough extraction of empties.

P.S. Them's some purtie boolits Jim!

You oaviously have not visited the Hodgon site lately. It is totally different.

And...........H110 is NOT a standard powder for 45LC.......the NORMAL 45LC. Mabe that Ruger stuff, but not the good ol' classic 45 like I load for. I would never use it......safely.

And according to the latest poll on here.......Unique is the most popular load know to man......for EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! And I dislike it also.

Their site really sucks now. Glad I printed the old pages out for the stuff I load for before they raped the site.

THX for the kuddos on the slugs! Plan to pop off a few this next weekend.

bangerjim

Beagle333
02-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Good looking boolits, Jim! I only got a Peacemaker and don't break the 14K rule, but I'd like a rifle one of these days. 8-)