PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever ship a handgun UPS ground as "parts for repair"?

robpete
02-20-2014, 07:58 PM
I want to sent my BHP into Jim Garthwaite next month for a custom barrel and fitting, bit really don't want to get hosed on shipping. I'm not sending the original barrel, so I was thinking about partially stripping it and sending it as parts.

Westwindmike
02-20-2014, 08:15 PM
If you send the serial numbered frame, it's a firearm.

Reg
02-20-2014, 08:21 PM
My understanding is do not use UPS. Go FedX. Much less likely to be stolen.

OuchHot!
02-20-2014, 08:23 PM
ups and fedex both told me a handgun including just a serial numbered frame had to be sent second day air$$$$. It is basically a rip-off but I could find no alternative. Best of luck.

osteodoc08
02-20-2014, 08:34 PM
See what your guns store can do. I just paid $20 to send a revolver back to ruger.

Monttexan
02-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Used to work for FedEx. It may have changed, but FedEx used to require firearms be shipped overnight, NOT 2-day. Yes, it is annoying, and expensive. For what it's worth, their stated reason is that statistically, they have fewer lost packages that are sent priority compared to the 2 or 3 day shipments. Overnight freight gets dibs on being loaded into the planes so it is more likely to get where it's going on time and not get lost in a corner somewhere. They don't want to be responsible for lost firearms.

bhn22
02-20-2014, 08:43 PM
As said earlier, have your dealer Priority Mail it. It's much cheaper.

dilly
02-20-2014, 09:19 PM
Used to work for FedEx. It may have changed, but FedEx used to require firearms be shipped overnight, NOT 2-day. Yes, it is annoying, and expensive. For what it's worth, their stated reason is that statistically, they have fewer lost packages that are sent priority compared to the 2 or 3 day shipments. Overnight freight gets dibs on being loaded into the planes so it is more likely to get where it's going on time and not get lost in a corner somewhere. They don't want to be responsible for lost firearms.

Am I to translate that they have fewer STOLEN packages by staff when it's overnighted? Or is that baseless?

Anyway yes, go through a dealer and save a good bit of money.

Duckiller
02-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Dilly yes it is to prevent stolen firearms. They must be proud of their employees. Don't know how a dealer can ship cheaper since they must ship the same way.

wrench
02-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Don't know how a dealer can ship cheaper since they must ship the same way.
01FFL's can ship USPS, much cheaper.
As previously stated, the frame is the firearm, regardless of whether any other parts are present.

Ben
02-20-2014, 10:59 PM
When you have to come up with inventive schemes to keep your own employees from stealing the item....Well.......... ? ?

wlc
02-20-2014, 11:05 PM
A dealer can ship through the post office. Much better than paying fedx or ups to ship it yourself.

pal82
02-20-2014, 11:19 PM
If you ship by UPS ground instead of next day air, you'll save 10 bucks. If your package is lost or damaged in shipment, you'll have a huge problem making an insurance claim.

robpete
02-21-2014, 08:39 AM
If your package is lost or damaged in shipment, you'll have a huge problem making an insurance claim.

very true

white eagle
02-21-2014, 09:33 AM
why bother telling them the contents part's is part's

Bored1
02-21-2014, 09:38 AM
As said before ship through a local dealer. They can use the post office, and will help if something goes wrong

Trey45
02-21-2014, 09:55 AM
My FFL guy will ship pistols for a flat rate of $25. Call around to your local gunshops and gunsmiths to see what they charge.

MT Gianni
02-21-2014, 11:15 AM

Because it is Federal Law and you are never going to get reimbursed if you mis-declare contents and something happens, insured or not.

RickinTN
02-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Because it is Federal Law and you are never going to get reimbursed if you mis-declare contents and something happens, insured or not.

Not to mention the attorney's fees to defend yourself and the 5 years in Federal prison when you are convicted. I just don't see the benefit to save $15 or so.
Rick

bedbugbilly
02-21-2014, 12:31 PM
I had a friend who had his Ruger take a dump last Monday while we were shooting. He contacted Ruger - all was well on shipping it back etc. but he was told that it had to be shipped FedEx "overnight" - they sent him the shipping label etc. I'd see about shipping it through a dealer.

Trying to circumvent the system can backfire on you if for some reason the package "disappears". In my state, a firearm has to be reported stolen within a very short time period upon discovery of it being stolen (24 or 48 hrs?_). If your "circumvented" package comes up missing - well, it could end up more than being a major headache.

I have a friend who owns quite a large gun shop. He told me that they once sent out a handgun via Priority Mail (which at the time, they were allowed to do) and it came up missing during shipment. It finally got tracked down to Chicago where the postman, instead of doing his deliveries, stockpiled the mail in his apartment. They recovered the handgun but it was a major headache for them as the BATF got involved as well as Federal Postal Inspectors, etc.

Whiterabbit
02-21-2014, 12:42 PM

This should read: Because it's Federal Law. Let's remember, if something happens to anything ever to anyone at all with any package under any circumstance at any carrier, you are never going to get reimbursed, insured or not.

-S

SteveM
02-21-2014, 01:32 PM
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the fedex/ups overnight is policy. Shipping it ground via fedex/ups is not breaking the law, just their policy.

EMC45
02-21-2014, 01:47 PM
I shipped a TC Contender old frame to TC/S&W and the UPS store I went through said they did NOT consider it a firearm, I said the ATF sure does. He told me if you can't take it from the box and load it and fire it then it was not a firearm, it's parts. I was honest as I possibly could have been with the manager and the floor guy who took all my info. They both allayed my concerns and promptly shipped it to TC/S&W.

Wadestep
02-21-2014, 01:51 PM
I shipped a handgun back 2 weeks ago with fedex. It could go second day (not overnight). Also cost almost $90 with insurance. Fl to AZ. If I ever ship another one, I will go talk to the LGS instead.

fredj338
02-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Because if it is caught, you may likely get some jail time, fine, both &/or lose the gun. Hardly worth saving $20. Only FFL can ship ser# guns unless it is going for repair. Why we can't use the USPS but a FFL can.

rockrat
02-21-2014, 07:52 PM
If you do ship thru your FFL, doesn't he have to put it in his books and then you have to fill out a 4473 for a background check, when it comes back.

Just shipped a pistol thru my ffl. A whole lot cheaper than the $260 fedex wanted to ship to AK

jaysouth
02-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Go to your friendly local licensed dealer. Download a form 1508 from usps.com, fill out as much as you can, take it to your dealer with an addressed priority mail box and insurance form.

Your dealer should inspect the gun, note the SN and sign the 1508 and take your money. According to my dealer, the USPS 1508 can only be used FFL to FFL for repairs, alteration or customization, not transfers. Further, according to my dealer, when the gun is returned, he can hand it to me with no paperwork if it does not spend the night as his place, if it in in his place overnight, it has to go into his books and requires execution of a 4473 to get it back.