PDA

View Full Version : paracord slings and stuff

Blammer
02-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Ok, what's the 'fascination' with paracord slings, and bracelets and stuff.

To me they are bumpy, rough, don't work well as a rifle sling and generally look bad.

Why do people buy them?

is it for the 'oh in case I need a long string I'll have one with me, I'll just take apart my sling and make a tent...'

anyway, what do you think?

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 06:35 PM
I think it is just the look an the fact its hand made. A lot of people will buy worthless stuff just because its hand made.

CastingFool
02-20-2014, 06:40 PM
I just made one for my .22rf rifle. I made it because I have a lot of paracord on hand, and I didn't have to spend money on it. I would have used leather, but don't have any.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 06:41 PM
I honestly wanna make one for my 454 Puma rifle.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-20-2014, 06:44 PM
we called it Macramé back in the 70's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macram%C3%A9

Hickok
02-20-2014, 06:56 PM
One strand or segment gets cut and the whole things unravels!

shooter93
02-20-2014, 07:04 PM
It's so you always have a rope handy to hang yourself with when shtf....lol.

starmac
02-20-2014, 07:16 PM
I would actually like to have one for every rifle I own. I have spent several unplanned nights in the hills or on a river bank, where parachord would be handy, and it would be one less thing in the daypack.

Pb2au
02-20-2014, 07:35 PM
My wife makes the bracelets and slings. It cracked her up when she figure out how to do it. Macramé, she exclaimed. She saw a sling at a gun show and had it figured out in about an hour when she got home. She enjoys making them and giving them to friends as gifts.
It is simply a handy way to store a lot of line. Cordage is simply very very useful in many applications.

CastingFool
02-20-2014, 07:39 PM
You can look up how to videos on Youtube.

MrWolf
02-20-2014, 07:44 PM
I made the bracelets for my family. Easy and did it while watching tv. Just an easy way to carry cordage. Guy at work made a really nice one for his watch - someday I will make a sling out of paracord.

swamp
02-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Before the hippies discovered it and called it macrema, the sailors(wind power) called it square knotting. Ashleys book of knots is a great referance book if interested in knotting.
swamp

L Ross
02-20-2014, 09:38 PM
I like paracord lanyards for waterfowl calls and to hang a hemostat and clippers on for ice fishing. I do believe they should last for decades.

Duke

Love Life
02-20-2014, 09:42 PM
It's an easy way to carry a lot of cordage. Cordage is nice. I personally don't use the slings, but always have 550 cord in my pack.

btroj
02-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Beats pink camo....

John Allen
02-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Love life, same here I keep 50 feet in my packs and end up using it all the time

MTtimberline
02-20-2014, 09:51 PM
is it for the 'oh in case I need a long string I'll have one with me, I'll just take apart my sling and make a tent...'

^^^ This
And plus it's "Taticool" and that's what's in style at the moment.

btroj
02-20-2014, 10:09 PM
But it must be black to be tacticool...

I don't get it either but I suppose others aren't looking for my approval.......

If I need some cord I carry some cord, if I need a sling I use a sling

MtGun44
02-20-2014, 10:12 PM
The claim is that you unravel it in a "survival situation" and have a piece of rope. Yawn.

Bill

btroj
02-20-2014, 10:16 PM
If I have a potential to get I to a survival situation I better have more than a piece of cord. Going into the backwoods means taking a pack.

Sounds like mall ninja talk to me.

Love Life
02-20-2014, 10:18 PM
People who have been in situations where they wish they had some cord, usually always carry cord along with the rest of their OS kit.

The slings do have their use and real life practical application, but as I said above, I always have cordage so I use different slings.

As for the bracelets, they aren't a bad idea. People like them and they can be useful if needed.

To each their own.

Love Life
02-20-2014, 10:18 PM
If I have a potential to get I to a survival situation I better have more than a piece of cord. Going into the backwoods means taking a pack.

Sounds like mall ninja talk to me.

You say that, but you never know.

starmac
02-20-2014, 10:31 PM
Lots of uses for cordage. If I think I am going to get in a survival situation I just don't go. If I go afield I always have a small daypack, but a sling would be just that much less to carry. I don't figure I will ever win a fashion contest in town, much less when I am in the bush by myself, so what my sling looks like doesn't bother me at all.

Baron von Trollwhack
02-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Many are at the zenith of their personal skill levels with paracord weaveing. I've seen that some Chinese cord weaving is done by exploitation factory six year olds.

Of course many more non-weaving people progress to much higher mechanical skills.

It is like turning 9" Old Hickory butcher knives into repurposed 6" potato peeling knives.

Believe it or not a 50' hank of paracord weighs no more than an equivalent length nicely woven......and it deploys much easier, while leaving your real sling operable.

BvT

Blammer
02-20-2014, 10:41 PM
yea I was thinking, If I needed a small length of cord, I'd have to take apart my sling, now it's worthless, use the cord then have to hand carry my rifle all the time afterwards. oh joy...

Beagle333
02-20-2014, 10:42 PM
I want a tent made out of woven paracord..... that way if times get hard while out in the wild, I can cut pieces off of it to have some rope.... and I'll still have enough left to make a tent!:-D

Blammer
02-20-2014, 10:43 PM
I seem to have struck a cord...

blaser.306
02-20-2014, 10:44 PM
When I was a youg'n I was into flying model rockets! This was the start of my story. Bought a kit with no parachute? Happened along on 1/2 of a polyester cargo chute!!! All I needed was a 36" diameter round chute. Everyone ended up with chute material . My grandmother dissapeared with all of the chute lines? When we finalised her estate years later, there was a bag folded up in a cedar chest with my name on it? Inside was a Croche'd (sp) table cloth that she made from the individual strands of the fine nylon cordage! This will be treasured for all time!!! Not to mention it is tough as nails.

dragon813gt
02-20-2014, 10:47 PM
I don't wear the bracelets but have made them for people. I do use them for slings because I have the cord and they hold up. Not saying that leather doesn't. But I have to buy one of them. The main thing I use it for is dog collars and leashes. It's damn near indestructible for these purposes. I make my dog a new collar every six months or so because the old one stinks. Takes fifteen minutes to make one and he's good to go. If a GSP running through thickets hasn't destroyed his collar I'm not worried about my slings coming apart. I don't carry these items for survival or tacticool reasons.

Blammer
02-20-2014, 10:50 PM
throw the dog collar in the wash, it may stop stinking... or wash the dog more often.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Beats pink camo....

Anything is better then pink camo.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 10:54 PM
People who have been in situations where they wish they had some cord, usually always carry cord along with the rest of their OS kit.

The slings do have their use and real life practical application, but as I said above, I always have cordage so I use different slings.

As for the bracelets, they aren't a bad idea. People like them and they can be useful if needed.

To each their own.

I always have a full roll of para cord in my truck, and usually about 20' of it in my back pocket. Used it to tie up a bad guy at walmart a few years ago after I broke his arm.

btroj
02-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Anything is better then pink camo.

Unless you are hunting flamingoes.....

Love Life
02-20-2014, 11:03 PM
I always have a full roll of para cord in my truck, and usually about 20' of it in my back pocket. Used it to tie up a bad guy at walmart a few years ago after I broke his arm.

It's good stuff to have around. Very good stuff. Whenever I leave my truck, no matter for how long, to wander around the desert I have some sort of pack and paracord is in all of them.

I can see the utility of having it on a bracelet. Not so much a sling since Blammer brings up a good point. However; hand carrying your rifle is a small price to pay for the many uses of survival cord in a true survival situation.

Or, now follow along here, when you unbraid your sling. Take a single strand of Paracord to use as a sling and use the rest for whatever you need. A simple solution...really.

The real solution is to just keep some paracord on you.

Love Life
02-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Unless you are hunting flamingoes.....

Aren't you building a rifle with a rainbow stock?

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:07 PM
It's good stuff to have around. Very good stuff. Whenever I leave my truck, no matter for how long, to wander around the desert I have some sort of pack and paracord is in all of them.

I can see the utility of having it on a bracelet. Not so much a sling since Blammer brings up a good point. However; hand carrying your rifle is a small price to pay for the many uses of survival cord in a true survival situation.

Or, now follow along here, when you unbraid your sling. Take a single strand of Paracord to use as a sling and use the rest for whatever you need. A simple solution...really.

The real solution is to just keep some paracord on you.

That single strand was my idea. I kinda like the way the para cord slings look. Im probably gonna make one, but I wanna weave the tusk from the first big boar hog i get into it for my 454 puma rifle.

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Aren't you building a rifle with a rainbow stock?

Why yes I am. And a big, shiny barrel. All 30 inches of it.

Do I detect some jealousy?

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:09 PM

Its needs a pink camo para cord sling

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:12 PM
No sling swivels on this one. It will be purely a bench queen. It also won't ever see a jacketed bullet fired thru it.

Artful
02-20-2014, 11:14 PM

I thought it was going to be a shotgun
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/066/f/b/aa_12_shotgun___rainbow_dash_edition_by_thebadpand a2-d4rzs9z.jpg

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:14 PM
Now im curious. What are you building?

Love Life
02-20-2014, 11:16 PM
That single strand was my idea.

What do you mean? I didn't see you post it in this thread.

People are freaking out about "My whole dang sling is gone!!!" when the common sense solution is to just use part of the sling as a new sling and still having cord to use for other stuff.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:16 PM
What do you mean? I didn't see you post it in this thread.

People are freaking out about "My whole dang sling is gone!!!" when the common sense solution is to just use part of the sling as a new sling and still having cord to use for other stuff.

I should have worded that differantly. It was my thought proccessing. Hows that?

Love Life
02-20-2014, 11:17 PM

My rifle is more ninjatastic than yours. Neener!!!

Love Life
02-20-2014, 11:17 PM
I should have worded that differantly. It was my thought proccessing. Hows that?

Now I'm tracking. Sometimes I need things spelled out in big block letters.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:18 PM
Now I'm tracking. Sometimes I need things spelled out in big block letters.

I have a horrible habit of placing words together in the wrong patterns.

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:19 PM
This stock style but no vents.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/image_zps4518827d.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/image_zps4518827d.jpg.html)

This laminate color

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/image_zps3bc12def.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/image_zps3bc12def.jpg.html)

Easy to see why Tim calls it a rainbow 4x4

It will be the gayest rifle on the line......

Love Life
02-20-2014, 11:21 PM
If you put a suppressor on it, you can shoot with a lisp!!!

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:23 PM
This stock style but no vents.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/image_zps4518827d.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/image_zps4518827d.jpg.html)

This laminate color

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/image_zps3bc12def.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/image_zps3bc12def.jpg.html)

Easy to see why Tim calls it a rainbow 4x4

It will be the gayest rifle on the line......

What are you building? What action barrel and caliber?

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:25 PM
No suppressor, it needs to have a loud, booming voice.

Daniel, it will be a 30 XCB, a 30-06 run in short. Look in the special projects section for Gears thread on the cartridge.

Won't be traditional, won't really be pretty, but it will be accurate. It also will be darn hard to not notice on the line.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:26 PM
No suppressor, it needs to have a loud, booming voice.

Daniel, it will be a 30 XCB, a 30-06 run in short. Look in the special projects section for Gears thread on the cartridge.

Won't be traditional, won't really be pretty, but it will be accurate. It also will be darn hard to not notice on the line.

It will be very pretty, in the same way some guys are very pretty. Depends on who is viewing it.

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:28 PM
Dude, did you just call me pretty?

In all fairness it will be attractive in its own way. I decided that if I was going somewhat gaudy them by gawd I was going gaudy. My wife and daughter chose the stock color.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:31 PM

In all fairness it will be attractive in its own way. I decided that if I was going somewhat gaudy them by gawd I was going gaudy. My wife and daughter chose the stock color.

Did I mention your name? Lol. I think it will be a....interestion looking rifle. Like one of those chicks thats fun to look at but you wouldnt take home.

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:33 PM
Pretty much.

Tim is going to make sure it stands out. I figure it will be pretty once it starts making small groups on paper.

Would any of us keep a beautiful rifle if it shot poorly? Doubt it. No safe queens in my house.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:34 PM
Pretty much.

Tim is going to make sure it stands out. I figure it will be pretty once it starts making small groups on paper.

Who is tim? Ive been away fr this forum for too long to still know everyone by name. When this forum was 600 people i knew everyones first names...

AlaskanGuy
02-20-2014, 11:34 PM
Ok, this thread has been :hijack::hijack:

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:35 PM
Who is tim? Ive been away fr this forum for too long to still know everyone by name. When this forum was 600 people i knew everyones first names...

Goodsteel, the guy building the rifle.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Goodsteel, the guy building the rifle.

Ok, now i know who you are talking about lol.

Blammer
I wanna see the one strand paracord sling and someone using it for a 2 mile hike. My bet is the arm will be cut off.... :)

Beagle333
What about a paracord belt and a paracord sling.... that way you can use your sling for ropes and a tent and you still have your belt for a single strand sling* and a pair of suspenders! :wink:

*credit to LL for the original single strand sling idea.

Love Life

Are you going to do any coating to the barrel and action?

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:37 PM

Neon purple duracoat

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:38 PM
I wanna see the one strand paracord sling and someone using it for a 2 mile hike. My bet is the arm will be cut off.... :)

Wouldnt be comfortable. But doable.

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:38 PM

Did I do that?

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Did I do that?

I believe I did.

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:40 PM

Barrel will be polished stainless. Action is currently blued, I have a feeling Tim will polish and reblue it. He isn't gonna let it leave the shop til it meets his standards.

Love Life
02-20-2014, 11:40 PM

Cross body sling it and you'll be fine.

Love Life
02-20-2014, 11:41 PM
Barrel will be polished stainless. Action is currently blued, I have a feeling Tim will polish and reblue it. He isn't gonna let it leave the shop til it meets his standards.

You should see my rifle now. She has quite a few marks from bouncing around the desert. Tim said I wouldn't hike it around and up a mountain, but I have...a couple times.

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:43 PM
You should see my rifle now. She has quite a few marks from bouncing around the desert. Tim said I wouldn't hike it around and up a mountain, but I have...a couple times.

Honest wear is good. Those aren't scratches, those are memories.

CastingFool
02-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Wouldnt be comfortable. But doable.

that's another reason why I made my paracord sling. took about 64 ft. I told you earlier I have lots of it. It's not the kind of paracord you normally see. It came off a worn out 60' diameter cargo chute.

starmac
02-20-2014, 11:54 PM

I generally carry mine 99% of the time anyway, so unless I had to use the sling to make splints for both of my arms, it would be no big deal. lol