PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Cast Load Data

jschweg
02-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Hi folks. I think at some point I would like to get into casting my own stuff, but I think I'm going to start with reloading some commercial cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Company and others. I purchased the new Lyman Cast Bullet manual, which contains data for lots of different molds and weights. The question that I have is that I assume I can just just use the load data for the molds generically? Meaning if I purchase 158 grain cast commercial bullets for example, that I just need to match the weight to one of the examples in the Lyman of the same bullet weight?

I've been reloading jacketed stuff for a while, but this is my first attempt into the cast bullet world. Thanks!

bhn22
02-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Without reservation, I can give you a definite, unequivocal, "probably". Watch for major differences in bullet designs, start with the starting loads, and just do your normal load development and you should be fine.

deerspy
02-19-2014, 11:19 PM
I would say if you get a 158gr round nose sized to fit the cylinder throat it will work ok, the problem I had was I got some that were .357 dia and they leaded bad
as far as powder just about any 158gr load in the book will work any 158gr you buy as always start out low and work up to find what works best in that gun.

MtGun44
02-20-2014, 12:08 AM
Yes, the only thing to watch for is massively different seating depth. You do not want a large percentage
reduction in the combustion chamber volume (base of boolit down) compared to the published data, altho
much of the Lyman cast data is not max pressure stuff, just their idea of what the speed should be based
on . . . . . .who knows??

Bill

jschweg
02-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Cool thanks guys. All of the jacketed stuff by all the major brands is pretty much black and white, but a lot of the various cast commercial suppliers don't publish load data (probably for liability reasons), so it seems like it's a guestimation against whats in the Lyman or other general cast reloading sources.

jschweg
02-24-2014, 10:15 PM
So since Missouri bullet doesn't publish official load data, how would I really know if the seating depth on the mold load data in the book is any different than the bullets that I buy?

I've never really had to think about this before since all of my reloading components have been documented down to the exact components that I am using.

Cmm_3940
02-24-2014, 10:37 PM
More info required. Seating depth depends on what specific boolit you are loading for what gun. Cast boolits come with a wide variety of different profiles, which require different seating depths to properly place the boolit with respect to the lands of the rifling.

jonp
02-24-2014, 10:39 PM
I have a couple of boxes of Missouri's and they work well.
Ditto what mtgun44 said. Similar profile, similar data. If not exact then reduce 10% and go fr there imo

newmexicocrawler
02-25-2014, 12:25 PM
/\ /\ /\ this one....I do this