PDA

View Full Version : 25 Cal Ranch Dog/Lee that came in .225?

Pakprotector
02-19-2014, 08:27 PM
One of my buds ordered a flat nosed 25 cal Ranch Dog and received a .225 from Lee by mistake. Now this 'mistake' looks just like what I want. Anybody else get one of these?
cheers,
Douglas

runfiverun
02-19-2014, 10:00 PM
LEE makes the ranch dog molds.
they have all of michaels drawings and may or may not produce them some time in the future.

Wayne Smith
02-19-2014, 10:10 PM
But to order a .25 and get a .225?? Somebody read the order too quickly!

Mk42gunner
02-19-2014, 10:11 PM
There was a thread a month or two ago in the mold section about these molds. It looks like it would be a very good boolit for the smaller .22 centerfires.

Robert

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-19-2014, 10:20 PM
I have several Ranch Dog/Lee molds...including
TL-225-50-RF Plain Base
TL-258-80-RF Plain Base

Bullshop
02-19-2014, 10:26 PM
I have all the RD molds so if anyone wants a sample before buying a mols I have them.

Pakprotector
02-20-2014, 10:11 AM
I have several Ranch Dog/Lee molds...including
TL-225-50-RF Plain Base
TL-258-80-RF Plain Base

Ahhh...but the 'mistake' mold that would up in .225 drops a 40 gr boolit. It should also be a good mold for the 14" twist Hornet Liner from TJ for the Pneumatics...it is very like the 225353 but slightly lighter. needless to say, I would sure like to find one...:)
cheers,
Douglas

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-20-2014, 10:42 AM
I was gonna post the following in comment #5 but I held my breath. "Lee's molds are a krap-shoot."

I thought they had overcome most of their issues when they switched to the new 2 cavity design and the CNC machining of ALL their molds. But if your friend got a 225 mold dropping at 40 gr. in the Ranch Dog RF design, then they are still a Krap-shoot.

That's one thing I loved about Mike (Owner of Ranch Dog), he'd QC and test molds from every single run from Lee and would reject anything out of spec...So when you ordered a Lee cut Ranch Dog mold, it was always to Mike's Specs.

My TL-225-50-RF Plain Base mold is very near 50gr (±2.0gr) If you are looking for a 40gr. mold from Lee...Good Luck, unless you can finesse the one out of your 'buds' hands ;) Or call Lee and see if they cut any more molds when they ran your 'buds' flat nosed 25 cal Ranch Dog.

Here is an example of what was typical of Lee molds before Lee switched to CNC machining of Molds.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?189534-Lee-30-cal-2-cav-molds-not-necessarily-as-advertised&highlight=

another example. The 22 Bator molds that Midsouth runs custom through Lee...I've ordered three molds at three different times...I got three different shaped molds. one drops boolits at 48gr. another at 50gr. and another at 51.5gr. the Nose size varied and the gas check shank varied in size and shape. The most recent one was closest to spec. my evidence that I thought they turned things around.

Lastly, this isn't a Lee bashing post. I love Lee's products and I love there company. I buy alot of Lee molds. I own alot of Lee equipment, more than any other brand. I just relaying my experience with their molds...and the Specs they end up at.

Jupiter7
02-20-2014, 01:00 PM
The mold in question was from the group buys Michael did mid 2013 through the lee "custom" shop. I got one of the 311-165 molds with redesigned ogive for use in other .30's. I decided to pass it on to someone in need as I already had the noe 311-165. The new owner reported the 6cavity drops perfect boolits. But I still dont like lee molds, I have one of the new style 312-155's and that's it. Lee molds are a krap shoot.

telebasher
02-20-2014, 01:08 PM
There was a thread a month or two ago in the mold section about these molds. It looks like it would be a very good boolit for the smaller .22 centerfires.

Robert
I ordered one from Ranchdog and its one of my favorite 22 moulds that I have. I size and lube with liquid alox and seat a check and relube lightly and they shoot great in my Hornets. You can cast a pile in a hurry with the six-cavity mould and they really smack when they hit flesh and bone. They do as much damage to prairie dogs as my hollowpointed Lyman 225438 and a lot easier to replenish when you need more. I like to cast up a one pound coffee can full and that lasts a long long time even when my shooting buddy found out that his rifle liked them too. Try them, you'll like them! You can go to Ranchdogoutdoors. com and see all of Micheals reloading data for any of his boolits.

Pakprotector
02-20-2014, 01:52 PM
How does one go about getting after Mike? This 'mistake' is as long as the .255 but is actually .225...maybe he knows of a stashof rejects? I believe Lee just sent the proper mold out to those who asked...
cheers,
Douglas

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-20-2014, 02:09 PM
How does one go about getting after Mike? This 'mistake' is as long as the .255 but is actually .225...maybe he knows of a stashof rejects? I believe Lee just sent the proper mold out to those who asked...
cheers,
Douglas

He is a member here
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?51718-Ranch-Dog-Molds&p=552312&viewfull=1#post552312
He stops in from time to time,but if you want to find him quickly, check out the
"rossi-rifleman" forum.

runfiverun
02-20-2014, 05:07 PM
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/
here's a direct link to his new site.

Pakprotector
02-21-2014, 06:09 PM
I made contact with Mike, and have a purchase under way...:) Thanks for the help y'all.
cheers,
Douglas