PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Springfield Repro Range Report

THBailey
02-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Shot my new to me 1861 Springfield repro, it's one of the Colt replica series which is, as I understand, Italian made parts that were imported by then assembled by Colt. With the help of some sage advice from some forum members I was able to cast some fairly consistent Minie balls and shot that style for the first time. After three fouling shots I did three groups of 5 shots using 60 gr of powder, FFG, FG, and Pyrodex RS (measured). The target was at 50 yards. I used RWS musket caps and experienced no failure to fires. The black powder loads all went of with enthusiasm but al five pyrodex shots had a slight hang to them, you could just hear the cap go off as the main charge went, kind of "ka-boom". Also the Pyrodex seemed to have a little less brisance, but nonetheless target print and grouping were equivalent to the other two. I did not clean or swab the barrel, just kept putting in the Minie's and touching off. It sure does load easy compared to my other muzzle loaders. While nothing to write home about I am happy with the results for a first effort. Thanks again to the members for casting advice. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?229460-Casting-58cal-Minie-Question

Hanshi
02-19-2014, 03:06 PM
As such things often go, Some guns will like certain styles of minie over others. Some even prefer prb. Try 3F and see what happens.

THBailey
02-19-2014, 03:25 PM
I'll give the 3F a try. I'm also thinking I will play with the charge amount also. Maybe start at, say, 50 gr and go up 5 gr increments to a max of 80 or so.

Fly
02-19-2014, 03:48 PM
That's a good idea, starting with light loads & working up.That has worked for me in getting there
much faster.Thats the fun with these muzzleloaders.Playing with loads & so on till you get them
there.

Have fun Fly

fouronesix
02-19-2014, 03:54 PM
That slight delay of ignition with Pyrodex is very common and always has been. Good idea to start down around 50 gr of BP and work up in 5 gr increments but 80 gr is a little high and gains little.

The 58 rifled muskets seem to do their best with 50-60 gr of BP. Cumulative fouling may bias serious accuracy load test results comparing first of string with last of string progressing though several different loads of 5 shots each.

59sharps
02-19-2014, 05:25 PM
I'll give the 3F a try. I'm also thinking I will play with the charge amount also. Maybe start at, say, 50 gr and go up 5 gr increments to a max of 80 or so.

start w 38 of 3fffg./ 42 and 46 / 48 some where in there will give you the best target load. groups will open and close. or close and open. mine and my sons like the 42 best w/ hodgens minnie.

BPShooter
02-19-2014, 06:43 PM
59sharps is correct, 38 to 48 grains 3f goex will work the best for target. I've used 40 to 44 grains for years with great success. 30 years to be exact.

72nd NYVI
N-SSA

TommyT
02-19-2014, 07:12 PM
I have the artillery model Colt '61 special. I used it for many years in N-SSA competition. My load was the 400 grain Hodgdon target minie over 40 grains of 3F Goex. It will shoot one hole groups off the bench at 50 yards and opens to maybe 2 inches at 100. Here is a pic of a target shot offhand at 50 yards. Shot at a skirmish in Richmond, MI. Scored as a 50-1x.

John Allen
02-19-2014, 07:16 PM
The 1861 Colt Signature series are really nice rifles. I got one off a member here and its fit and finish is great.

THBailey
02-19-2014, 07:32 PM
I have the artillery model Colt '61 special. I used it for many years in N-SSA competition. My load was the 400 grain Hodgdon target minie over 40 grains of 3F Goex. It will shoot one hole groups off the bench at 50 yards and opens to maybe 2 inches at 100. Here is a pic of a target shot offhand at 50 yards. Shot at a skirmish in Richmond, MI. Scored as a 50-1x.

Ya know, I was kinda happy with mine and you had to go and show me this. Offhand??? Awesome group. When you are target shooting, what is your procedure for bore cleaning? Between each shot? Every two or three? One wet patch followed by one dry? I had understood the minie's were somewhat self cleaning and, indeed, I would never get 18 shots out of one of my other guns with swabbing the bore.

THBailey
02-19-2014, 07:40 PM
I've only had mine for a couple weeks, but it is a pretty gun. I got it off Gunbroker and it looked like it had been fired very little if at all. It certainly drew a crowd at the rifle range.

fouronesix
02-19-2014, 08:25 PM
When you are target shooting, what is your procedure for bore cleaning? Between each shot? Every two or three? One wet patch followed by one dry? I had understood the minie's were somewhat self cleaning and, indeed, I would never get 18 shots out of one of my other guns with swabbing the bore.

It depends on design and size of Minié, type of powder, amount of powder, humidity and lube. These rifled muskets along with the Minié design were meant to be shot for a long series of shots without cleaning. For best target accuracy, you'll just have to see what works best.

I shoot quite a few different types of Minié shooters. Most of the time with midrange loads of BP and a Crisco-lubed Minié, I shoot one or two fouling shots then start the string without noticing much bullet impact change or widening of group size for maybe 5-10 shots. At some point fouling will start to build near the breech end that can be felt when seating the ball on the powder. At that point I'll swab with moose milk on a jagged patch, maybe use a breech plug scraper, dry with two clean patches and start over.

I've fired 20-25 shots in a string without cleaning and have noticed little shift or group size change. Other times with other rifles or loads, it seems I have to clean and start over after about 5 or 6 shots.

fouronesix
02-20-2014, 12:57 PM
THBailey,

I looked through your Minié casting thread. Did you solve the "void" in the base issue? It is common in the casting of Miniés. No matter what I do, with certain molds and on certain days, I get a few with that void and just pitch them back in the melt. I use a ladle and try to maintain a pace of casting and temperature range that produce the most consistent results.

Shooting Miniés through old rifled muskets is one of my passions in muzzleloading. Sometimes, loads and techniques that produce accurate, consistent results seem to defy any "rule book". But plopping a bunch of balls into a nice circular cluster group on target is a very unique reward. Especially true at any shooting range where the "rattle battle" guys are in audience and seem more interested in randomly spraying the berm or showing off their latest "tactical", color coordinated attire and accoutrements. :)

Try lots of things and don't be afraid to experiment. Probably the biggest thing to avoid is heavy charges. With some guns/loads, I've shot my best groups off the bench by cleaning between shots. While it might result in the tightest groups, in some way it kind of defeats the original purpose and design of the Minié. Keep posting results!

THBailey
02-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the further words. Maxing my melt temp and paying more attention to keeping the plug hot, and doing the pressure pour I have got the void issue down to a manageable number. Also, I weigh the minie's and reject any that are light. Thanks again, and I will keep the info coming.

Fly
02-20-2014, 02:21 PM
I have learned so much from these guys.We here using all these hot loads, most from hunters.
But for getting best groups with the large cal bullets it seems less is best.I know my paper cutter
.54 cal Sharps shoots best with 38 to 45 grains.

I have been shooting black power guns for more years than some here have lived.But I,m still
on a learning curve.I guess when I know it all I will quit.Don't think that will happen, (wink).

Fly

smkummer
02-20-2014, 04:29 PM
If you didn't get a modern manual with your Colt 1861 Special, it recommended .575-.577" soft conical bullets and a charge of 40-50 grains of black powder. I spoke with the person who wrote that recommendation and he stated the guns shot better. He said to save the 60 grain load for when you want to shoot buffalo. I have only started shooting mine and it shoots really high at 50 yards but I am now a member at a range that goes to 500 yards and the normal covered range is 200 yards. So I am looking forward to finally getting to clang some metal plates at 200 yards. Are you guys putting Crisco on the outer grooves of the bullet or inside the hollow base?

Odinbreaker
02-20-2014, 04:59 PM
I would try tripple 7 a try, start at 50 gr much cleaner that Pyrodex. I have had good luck with tripple 7 in my 54 cal guns

fouronesix
02-20-2014, 05:20 PM
If you didn't get a modern manual with your Colt 1861 Special, it recommended .575-.577" soft conical bullets and a charge of 40-50 grains of black powder. I spoke with the person who wrote that recommendation and he stated the guns shot better. He said to save the 60 grain load for when you want to shoot buffalo. I have only started shooting mine and it shoots really high at 50 yards but I am now a member at a range that goes to 500 yards and the normal covered range is 200 yards. So I am looking forward to finally getting to clang some metal plates at 200 yards. Are you guys putting Crisco on the outer grooves of the bullet or inside the hollow base?

About the lube. I've done it both ways- just the outside and in both the base and outside. In one gun and load, filling the base seems to help accuracy. In the others- can't tell. I know that when it's hot and dry, more quantity of lube helps keep the fouling in the barrel soft for longer shot strings without cleaning. I also don't know how many Minié shooters use Crisco. I've tried so many varieties I can't remember. Seems I always come back to Crisco. If it's really hot, I use a stiffened lube mixture of Crisco and beeswax. I remember reading somewhere one of the government arsenal recipes for Minié lube was beeswax and animal fat or tallow. Judging by the persistence of lube residue sometimes found in the metal liners of cartridge boxes from the Civil War, I can believe it.

RCB1917
04-10-2014, 08:52 PM

That certainly is a group to be proud of...