PDA

View Full Version : thompson center patriot 45 cal

Bardo
02-18-2014, 04:59 PM
What are your guys thoughts on these guns? I just picked this up and it appears unfired. Came with all the accessories and the original box and a holster. Looks to be a older one because it dosent have the brass cap.

Bardo

02-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Most accurate ML pistol I've ever shot. Good find.

rking22
02-18-2014, 09:22 PM
You will LOVE it , I have enjoyed a .36 cal version since the early 80s. It keeps my .36 Senaca company.

smoked turkey
02-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Those are nice, and yours is especially nice. I shot my .45 muzzy today. I do like the 45 calibers. I wish I had one almost like yours. I say almost because it would be wrong to covet yours. I could wish I had yours and you had a better one and it would be ok.

bubba.50
02-18-2014, 11:20 PM
very nice outfit! I would recommend to NOT use a loadin' stand with it as that's how a lot the stocks on these guns get cracked or even completely broken. luck & have a good'en, bubba.

Bardo
02-18-2014, 11:25 PM
I have read they are prone to cracking but that there are things to do to avoid it. Anybody have a pet load? I was going to try goex 3f 15-30 gr.

Bardo

John Allen
02-18-2014, 11:27 PM
I have wanted one of these for a while now.

Bardo
02-22-2014, 01:12 PM
So I might sale this as a complete package if the price is right. What do you guys think is a fair price for this?

Bardo

Double click on image to enlarge

smoked turkey
02-22-2014, 11:55 PM
I honestly have no idea what a fair price is for this nice set up. I would think it would be at the top end of the scale for one of these considering the condition and the accessory pack with it. I personally would be interested in it but I have all the accessories already since I shoot 45 muzzleloader. However you should not break up the set. I would like to know what you value it at. Give it a go and I am sure you will have several interested in it.

C. Latch
02-23-2014, 12:01 AM
Wow. That's nice. I'm more than a little bit jealous.

rking22
02-23-2014, 12:23 AM
you'll be sooorrrrryy if you sell it :)

stu206
03-05-2014, 02:44 PM
As they don't make that one any more, Factory burned down, the price on yours would be in the range of $ 400. or so, the last one that I bought was for $ 149, around 15 years ago. I picked up a LePage for $ 450. around 10 years ago, still have both of them, Have a TC Patriot Pistol 45 Cal, 45 Cal Senca, 50 cal Hawken, all by TC. Other rifles are 40 cal squirrel rifle and a 45 cal Long rifle in cap lock. The 40 cal can either be a rock or a cap rifle.
My advice to you on the TC Patriot is keep it, it will only go up in value.

blackpowder man
03-06-2014, 11:52 PM
I have one that my dad won a lot of matches with. T/C replaced the stock once when it cracked and broke years ago. The one thing to watch out for is the reverse set triggers. That rear trigger will make you look and feel special if you aren't paying attention. That is why I got my patiot from dad. He is getting older and feels like the backwards triggers might be dangerous for him anymore.

TCLouis
03-07-2014, 12:44 AM
I have had one for years. Inconsistent ignition and it became a safe queen.

I just needs to have the hammer bent slightly so the hammer strikes flat on the cap/nipple.

Too many other project pique my interest more.

Bardo
03-09-2014, 02:23 AM
I think I am going to keep it and shot it. Looks like such a fun gun. Anybody know who made the barrels on these early pistols? It looks like there is half a maltese cross or a star on the bottom of the barrel. and I have read some earlier barrels were marked with a maltese cross and were douglas barrels.

Bardo

robertmcw
03-10-2014, 09:04 PM
I bought two NIB guns way back and I have not shot either. As soon I got the first one, I used a stand with 30 grains and it broke the stock the first shot. I sent it to the vendor and they gave a new gun but now I use a Trapper with 40 grains and a sabot and it shoots just fine. I would use 10 - 15 grains only and stay away from a stand and use a patched ball. That is a target gun, not a hunting a gun. Clean it well and you can give to your kids.

Bardo
03-10-2014, 11:29 PM
I went and shot it today. I used a .433 ball with .015 pillow ticking and 22gr 3f goex. It was fine but I will mess with different charges. I didn't get it to hunt, maybe a few cottontails.

Bardo

gifford
03-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Congrats, nice find. That's a first model Patriot, no brass nose. Mine is the same, nice shooter. Give it a try and you won't be disappointed. I use a .440 ball, pillow ticking and 20 grains. Kept 'em all in the black once I sighted it in. I gave 200 for mine and I woun't take 400 for it. I like the reverse set triggers. Fits my hand well. I mad and use a loading stand, made for this pistol, support the stock with a pad and you'll be okay, at least mine is till uncracked. Good shooting.

dmize
03-15-2014, 11:40 PM
I have 2 of them. Won several BP matches with the first one. Second one was not taken very good care of before I got it,had it re barreled with a DeHaus .40 shoots AWESOME.
I always heard some of the early ones were fitted with Seneca barrels and didn't shoot very good because of the rifle twist.

Bardo
03-15-2014, 11:48 PM
What is considered accurate. What load do you use? I think mine is a 1 in 48 twist.

Bardo

I have 2 of them. Won several BP matches with the first one. Second one was not taken very good care of before I got it,had it re barreled with a DeHaus .40 shoots AWESOME.
I always heard some of the early ones were fitted with Seneca barrels and didn't shoot very good because of the rifle twist.

JTeale
09-20-2014, 01:09 PM
An accident looking for a place to happen. The triggers are the reverse of EVERY other firearm made.

LynxRA
09-20-2014, 06:07 PM
They will not fire until you use the set trigger first.

beroen
09-20-2014, 09:43 PM
An accident looking for a place to happen. The triggers are the reverse of EVERY other firearm made.
Actually there is not.. before anyone touches "any" trigger the fire arm should be aimed down range approximately at the target.

Trigger placement aside these are the most popular black powder replica pistols ever made.

They will not fire until you use the set trigger first.
I have not had one for 15 years so I can not remember.. but all other set trigger type muzzleloader will fire without being set its just a 15+ pound pull.

JTeale
09-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Actually there is not.. before anyone touches "any" trigger the fire arm should be aimed down range approximately at the target.

Trigger placement aside these are the most popular black powder replica pistols ever made.

I have not had one for 15 years so I can not remember.. but all other set trigger type muzzleloader will fire without being set its just a 15+ pound pull.

Agreed about target alignment, but only the ignorant or foolish take unnecessary risks. The problem is not with shooting the Patriot, but when you first switch from it to another weapon with conventional set triggers.

I've never seen a quality rifle with a standard trigger pull of 15+ pounds. In any case, the standard trigger pull on other set triggers is less than the effort of setting the trigger on the Patriot.

Yodogsandman
09-30-2014, 09:58 PM
I used 20gr FFFG under a round ball in mine, years ago....very accurate. Wish they sold a holster for it!