PDA

View Full Version : expander for 30-30 question

deerspy
02-18-2014, 11:04 AM
I am just starting to cast my for my model 94 and have been reading on here about how and why and I think I need a M die type expander that sizes to .308 or .309 and then .311 so my .310 diameter bullet will have the right tension and be easy to get started but have not been able to find one for sale.

am I thinking right or should I get something different?

Outpost75
02-18-2014, 11:19 AM
The Lyman M Die is one option. Lee also makes a Universal cast bullet expander which flares the mouth only, but without expanding the rest of the neck interior. While that will "work," it is not the best solution, because too-tight necks can damage a soft bullet.

I use the RCBS cast bullet expander, which both flares the case mouth AND lets you expand the rest of the neck for proper fit, which should be 0.002" less than bullet diameter, the usual jacketed bullet expander coming with .30 cal. die sets being 0.306", and for most .30 cal. cast bullets you will want either a .308" or .309" plug for the RCBS die. Midway has them. You can buy extra plugs and rods to do various calibers with one die body.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/743845/rcbs-neck-expander-die-309?cm_vc=ProductFinding

deerspy
02-18-2014, 12:06 PM
thanks Outpost, I think I would like the lyman with step better but cant seam to find the size they list them a midway but don't tell the size they are.
I read on here once that some one makes parts for dies but I am not sure who or how to find them on here (Iam not to good with computers) learning more every day not sure if a old dog can learn new tricks.

gefiltephish
02-18-2014, 12:44 PM
There is a sticky around here somewhere for oem m-die plug sizes. For sizes larger than that you have to either call Lyman or have someone like Buckshot make 'em for ya. I get mine from Buckshot.

Try this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?4351-Lyman-M-Die-Measurements-Needed&highlight=lyman+die+plug+sizes

nekshot
02-18-2014, 12:48 PM
being the lazy sort I sometimes reach for a needle nose pliars and gently give a little flair to the neck. It is faster than changing dies sometimes!

geargnasher
02-18-2014, 01:04 PM
The Lyman M Die is one option. Lee also makes a Universal cast bullet expander which flares the mouth only, but without expanding the rest of the neck interior. While that will "work," it is not the best solution, because too-tight necks can damage a soft bullet.

I use the RCBS cast bullet expander, which both flares the case mouth AND lets you expand the rest of the neck for proper fit, which should be 0.002" less than bullet diameter, the usual jacketed bullet expander coming with .30 cal. die sets being 0.306", and for most .30 cal. cast bullets you will want either a .308" or .309" plug for the RCBS die. Midway has them. You can buy extra plugs and rods to do various calibers with one die body.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/743845/rcbs-neck-expander-die-309?cm_vc=ProductFinding

THIS. Midsouth Shooter's Supply sells the RCBS plugs as well and in the past few years has been more consistent in restocking them than Midway.

Gear

deerspy
02-18-2014, 01:27 PM
thanks, all
I looked at chart but think I need to have one made how do get hold of Buckshot?

grouch
02-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Why don't you size to .309, carefully bevel the inside of the case necks, and if you are using gas checked bullets they usually work, especially if you have a Lee collet die which allows you some adjustment of neck tension. Usually this will take you well past what's normally expected from a '94 winchester.
Grouch

Doc Highwall
02-18-2014, 03:58 PM
deerspy, welcome to the forum. I would suggest you size your bullets .310" to .311" diameter and use an expander that is .309" for a .001" to .002" neck tension.

deerspy
02-18-2014, 04:12 PM
it my be that all I need is the RCBS .309 expander die I all ready have RCBS dies that I was using to load jacketed with it just seams that the two step Lyman would be better. guess I will have to order a rcbs one and try it.

gefiltephish
02-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Go to your inbox and start a new pm, address it to "Buckshot".

geargnasher
02-18-2014, 04:41 PM
it my be that all I need is the RCBS .309 expander die I all ready have RCBS dies that I was using to load jacketed with it just seams that the two step Lyman would be better. guess I will have to order a rcbs one and try it.

Get the RCBS expander. The Lyman expander is pretty useless IMO except to get one caliber up and turn the spud down to a single-stepped spud of the correct diameter for your needs and leave a little belling shank in the right place.

Gear

Jeff H
02-18-2014, 04:49 PM
.......if you have a Lee collet die which allows you some adjustment of neck tension........Grouch

Saves having multiple bits and pieces and works very well. Necks on my 30-30 brass is also a couple thousandths thinner than most of my other brass and the neck seems a bit gentler on bullets. I'm not sure if it's designed that way or my brass is just thinner by chance. You still want something to slightly bell the case mouth and LEE has that covered with the universal flaring die.

TCFAN
02-19-2014, 12:23 AM
This is the M die that I use for my 30-30's. Available at midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199295/lyman-neck-expander-m-die-31-caliber-long?cm_vc=ProductFinding

fattires
02-19-2014, 01:52 PM
I purchased this one a couple weeks ago, seems to be working well, so much easier to get the bullet started nice and straight. I had it 2 days after I ordered it with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Expanding-M-Inch-Winchester-Savage/dp/B001GX8FZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392832232&sr=8-1&keywords=m+die+30

quilbilly
02-19-2014, 03:04 PM
being the lazy sort I sometimes reach for a needle nose pliars and gently give a little flair to the neck. It is faster than changing dies sometimes!
Also being a lazy sort, I often use the rounded point of an old sharpening steel bought at a garage sale to very slightly flare a case. I also use it on my 308, and 32/20 cases. Works great.

deerspy
02-19-2014, 05:59 PM
thanks all for help, I loaded box last night thinking hay it has a gas check so it should start just like a jacketed but would be tighter it worked ok but I sheared lead off on three I am going to get the .309 rcbs expander with the belling feature.