PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Large Rifle Magnum primers

Ray1946
02-17-2014, 10:52 PM
A few years ago I purchased a carton of Wolf Large Rifle Magnum primers. At the time, I was anticipating working with black powder rifle cartridges and thought this might be the way to go. Since then, I have lost interest in the black and am planning on getting back into the old militaries. Are the wolf magnum primers any good for cast boolits in the many different .30 calibers out there? I am thinking the Swiss and possibly the .303.

Years ago, no one seemed interested in magnum primers for cast projectiles. I think I have read in different places that the Russian primers are pretty good, or is this just the standard variety? Thanks..............

UBER7MM
02-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Ray,

My experience is that with large magnum primers seem to work well with bottle neck cast loads. I haven't had any experience with the Wolf brand, however.

I hope it helps,

Socal147
02-17-2014, 11:33 PM
I have used magnum large rifle primers in my 45/70 pushing lead over light loads.
I could not tell the difference between large rifle primers and magnum large rifle primers.
These were not wolf primers.

HTH

AlaskanGuy
02-18-2014, 12:18 AM
I sure could tell the difference in my 375... Lots of delay fires with lr primers... Never been an issue with magnum primers... I WONT use LR primers in the big's anymore....

AG

armorer59
02-20-2014, 08:41 PM
I've been using Wolf primers for a while now and have had great results with them. When I run out of Federal LR mag primers for my BP cartridge loads, I'll switch over to Wolf.

starnbar
02-20-2014, 09:04 PM
I got a bunch of em lr/sr lp/sp and haven't had an issue with any at all the magnum primers are as hot as the cci I used to use.