PDA

View Full Version : 45 Win Mag load Q's

user55645
02-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Hello gentlemen. Finishing up a 16", 1:16, 45WM bolt rifle. I plan on putting some 220SWC, 255-260HP and 300-325SWC or FN boolits down it. The 220 and 260s would be supersonic for target/plinking and whitetail. The larger pills will be for some suppressed fun. I plan to powdercoat the lighter boolits (had luck with 44mag at super velocities).

I have Unique, Universal, TiteGroup, H110 and LilGun for the 200 and 260s. I use these for my 6.5", 44mag with great results.

Would any of you be able to recommend a dose for the heavies?

Im also going to try cutting a skirt in the tail of the heavies and see if it aids in subsonic flight stability. Just for something to try, mainly.

Any load start points would be great or ideas I could work off of.

Thanks

dondiego
02-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Sorry, don't have any experience with that caliber but I was interested in the "cutting a skirt in the tail of the heavies" mention. Could you elaborate on that plan?

Don

runfiverun
02-18-2014, 01:11 PM
if I could find nothing else I'd modify data from another cartridge.
the 45 colt or the old 450 express magnum come to mind right off.
you'd have to do a case volume comparison and then reduce based on pressure.
I'm pretty sure the rifle runs on gas volume so you'd have to stick to some of the slower powders.
if it's inertia operated you can get by with the boolits weight doing the work.

user55645
02-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Sorry, don't have any experience with that caliber but I was interested in the "cutting a skirt in the tail of the heavies" mention. Could you elaborate on that plan?

Don

I just plan to load the boolits nose first into a collet on my lathe and probably just use a ball end mill in the tailstock to bore the skirt. One of my collets already has a stop I fabbed into it from a previos project. I didnt want to shell the cash for a custom mold on a whim.