PDA

View Full Version : Burr on base of bullet?

abcollector
12-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Are these burrs anything to wrong about as far as accuracy is concerned? I purchased these from a custom bullet caster and was a little concerned about them. Would you pay for bullets like these? It appears to me it was caused by the punch on a sizer machine so are these preventable?

Thanks

DLCTEX
12-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Looks as if the punch was undesized, or the boolit was way oversized. Also the sprues show tearout that is off centered, which could cause the boolit to be off balance. No, I wouldn't buy them. Dale

Bigjohn
12-17-2007, 01:29 AM
Any deformation of the base of a boolit will affect accuracy but the effect will vary depending upon how bad the deformation is.

From what I can see in the picture; the effect should be minor IMHO. From the picture, it is difficult to know how these were formed originally. They could have started out as minor base flashing from a loose sprue plate and been pushed back as the were lubesized nose first (as you stated in your post).

The best option is to try and shoot some at the distances you plan to use them over but try them against a known sample.

I do not know who you bought them from, or what their quality control is like but most companies I know of would not sell product that showed such a problem. You might get one or two in a box and class that as acceptable. You did not stated if the entire batch you purchased was the same or just a few.

Any issue you have about quality is set by your standards and should be discussed with your supplier/caster. They may appreciate being informed about a problem their QCO has missed and make good their mistake. If not then there are other casting comp. out there>

Best of luck,
John.

hammerhead357
12-17-2007, 01:54 AM
The ring of lead around the base of the bullet is caused from a sprue plate that is to loose in my experience. I don't know if this will affect accuracy or not... I would be concerned about leading from this....The sprue being torn is a result of casting method and can be detremental to good round groups in my opinion, it can leave holes in the base of the bullet which will result in out of balance bullets...Wes

Buckshot
12-17-2007, 01:54 AM
...............Bottom photo, boolit in the middle appears as if it was sized above the LG, but the others do not? The proof will be in the shooting. If you bought these for plinking, casual target work or hunting at iron sight ranges they'll probably be okay. Since the base is the steering end of the boolit it's the place to look at first. As you did.

...............Buckshot

Lloyd Smale
12-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Ive loaded and shot many bullets like that and at least at 50 yards out of a handgun it meant little. If you size 4570 bullets down for 45 colt use it will allways show. If your conserned take a pocket knife and trim them. I doubt if it will affect accuracy. that been said i wouldnt be pleased if i got a batch that were like that that i actually paid for though.

45 2.1
12-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Boolits were sized in a push-thru, probably a Star while still too soft. Short range won't hurt, but I wouldn't buy from him again.

abcollector
12-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Thank you to all that had responsed.
The entire box of bullets were that way, I didn't pick-n-choose the worst. I didn't think the spruce tearout might affect accuracy or that it was a concern but I can now understand the importance of it even that little amount. I am fairly new to actually loading cast bullets and haven't cast them myself yet so I don't want to criticize someone elses work. I have tried contacting the company but no reply yet. Bottom line is, I wouldn't have bought them either if I had seen them first. Good thing it was just one box!

Thanks again

Marshal Kane
12-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Bullets spin as they exit the barrel so any defects further away from the axis of the bullet will cause more accuracy problems than a defect closer to the axis. Doubt if these would make good 50 yard bullets but for close in work (less than 25 yards) they should shoot better. If these are the best your supplier can do, would look for another source if accuracy is high on your list of priorities.

Racer X
12-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Who did you buy those bullets from?