PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and living with allergies - need some advice

Jailer
02-17-2014, 03:04 PM
So I have this allergy problem. The problem being that I'm pretty much allergic to everything except foods. I would really like to have an indoor dog for when I'm not here. A lab or some other protective kid friendly type dog is what I'd really like.

The part I need some advice on is what do the rest of you with allergies do to cope? With anti histamines getting so difficult to acquire and the fact that I don't need the BATF busting my door in at midnight what other options are there to cope?

I've lived with indoor dogs in the past but it was a miserable experience. Not the dog but the allergy symptoms. Do I just suck it up and get a dog and deal with it?

wch
02-17-2014, 03:10 PM
Talk to your doctor, make an appointment with an allergist, consider the information on the net: Google "least hypoallergenic dogs".
From what I could see, those dogs that meet the allergy factor are generally small breeds but standard poodles and schnauzers are listed.

Jailer
02-17-2014, 03:23 PM
That's part of the problem too. I've been through a 4 year round of allergy shots and they didn't work. Not sure I want to go down that road again.

As for hypoallergenic dogs, they don't exist. My uncle has 2 Bichons and they still bother me when I go over to his place.

Powder Burn
02-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Thought I had similar problems with my two mutts but turned out my heart was causing most of my breathing problems. Long story. I bought a Oreck air filter/purifier that seems to help. They make furnace filters that will filter out just about anything, including dog dander, but you have to be careful not to strain your motor on your air handler. If you really want to have some doggies, you may have to go whole hog and have an electronic filter put into your furnace. They are pricey but efficient and from what I've read work for a lot of folks that have allergies. I have ankle biters (Dachshunds) that sound like the Hounds of the Baskerville when disturbed, but if you throw them a bone or rub their bellies they are your friends for life. Good luck.

another gsxr 1k
02-17-2014, 04:31 PM
WCH hit it spot on. I have major allergies and severe asthma, with lung damage. So I know where you're coming from. I have issues even walking by a house that has cats, if they have the windows open.
That being said, I have 2 standard poodles. They're inside dogs, and I don't have any issues. They are quite loyal and protective, and for the most part very child friendly. I had one that I grew up with that would watch my nephew sleep when he was a baby and would go get my sister when he woke up. He would also keep my nephew off the stairs by lying on the bottom step.
He was a monster of a poodle, 32.5" at the shoulder and 95lbs. I haven't seen one that big since.
The two I have now are about average size, Anna weighs about 50lbs, and Zeus weighs in at about 80lbs. They're also quite intelligent.

Finster101
02-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Take a look at Boxers. I have a friend that is allergic to every breed except them. There is something different about their fur.

Jailer
02-17-2014, 04:40 PM
WCH hit it spot on. I have major allergies and severe asthma, with lung damage. So I know where you're coming from. I have issues even walking by a house that has cats, if they have the windows open.
That being said, I have 2 standard poodles. They're inside dogs, and I don't have any issues. They are quite loyal and protective, and for the most part very child friendly. I had one that I grew up with that would watch my nephew sleep when he was a baby and would go get my sister when he woke up. He would also keep my nephew off the stairs by lying on the bottom step.
He was a monster of a poodle, 32.5" at the shoulder and 95lbs. I haven't seen one that big since.
The two I have now are about average size, Anna weighs about 50lbs, and Zeus weighs in at about 80lbs. They're also quite intelligent.

How much work does it take to keep them groomed? How well do they do in colder climates. It will be an inside dog but the winters can be long and cold here in MI.

Take a look at Boxers. I have a friend that is allergic to every breed except them. There is something different about their fur.

I will check into this, thanks.

Bad Water Bill
02-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Sausage hounds = 1 dog tall 2 dogs long ++ 4 dogs LOUD.

Several types of fir are available.

Freightman
02-17-2014, 05:12 PM

got one long hair, had a short hair great dogs and nothing moves they don't hear.

Jailer
02-17-2014, 05:16 PM

Are you talking a Dachshund?

I should have mentioned no ankle biters. I want something that will provide a little protection if I'm not around.

Duckiller
02-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Jailer poodles are supposed to be minimual allergy dogs. They are going to need regular hair cuts. don't get a lion cut it looks stupid. A uniform hair cut protects them and is easy to maintain. If You hunt the poodles are supposed to be good retrievers. With a reasonable hair cut poodle should not have a problem with MI winters.

Jailer
02-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Anybody have any experience with a border terrier?

shooter2
02-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Standard Poodle. No shedding and very friendly to allergy sufferers. Also one of the smartest (#3 I think) and family friendly. Great dogs!

longhorn
02-17-2014, 08:48 PM
The drugs that can be used as meth precursors are DECONGESTANTS, such as pseudoephedrine; the drugs you take to control allergies are ANTIHISTAMINES, such as cetirizine or diphenhydramine, and the DEA doesn't care at all about those. The problem with antihistamines is that you must switch drugs every 6 weeks or so to maintain efficacy.
From your friendly non-local pharmacist-

Bad Water Bill
02-17-2014, 08:48 PM

I should have mentioned no ankle biters. I want something that will provide a little protection if I'm not around.

Yes I was but I am only familiar with German papered proven and bred dogs.

The word FEAR was bred out of them centuries ago.

I do not want to return home to find a cold bloody body laying on the floor because there was no one there to tell the dog to stop.

bhn22
02-17-2014, 09:12 PM
If I may make a suggestion, talk with a vet, and tell him what you want, and what you're up against. I'll bet he can make a few suggestions.

runfiverun
02-18-2014, 02:03 AM
it's generally the dogs dander that you are allergic to.
you need a short haired dog that doesn't shed too much and keep them clean.
this will keep the allergic reactions to a minimum.

mpbarry1
02-18-2014, 02:40 AM
Poodles are a hypoallergenic breed that you might like. very smart and great pets. trim it with a mohawk and put a spiked collar on it, then you can tell your friends it is an Irish viper Snake Dog!

lavenatti
02-18-2014, 05:04 AM
Check out labradoodles as well.

PB234
02-18-2014, 08:32 AM
If your allergies come on really quick then visit breeders of the breed of dog you are considering. Spend an hour or so in their home and playing with their dogs. If you don't get sick there is a good chance the breed is OK for you. Border Terriers are very small dogs. Probably will bark when someone comes to the door (watch dog) but offers no guard dog ability as they are too small.

Terriers are a tough group of dogs - smart and lots of drive. Within the group there are may breeds that could offer a companion and a guard. Figure out the breeds that interest you and visit breeders. Find breeders at a AKC dog show. The quality of the breeder is a good sign of he puppy you will get. The cost is not much different between a pet quality dog from a great breeder and a puppy mill. When picking a friend for a long time the little bit of extra effort is well worth it. Often the difference between getting a great dog and a not so great dog is just the work of finding it rather than the cost.

Jailer
02-18-2014, 04:21 PM
The drugs that can be used as meth precursors are DECONGESTANTS, such as pseudoephedrine; the drugs you take to control allergies are ANTIHISTAMINES, such as cetirizine or diphenhydramine, and the DEA doesn't care at all about those. The problem with antihistamines is that you must switch drugs every 6 weeks or so to maintain efficacy.
From your friendly non-local pharmacist-

I know this but all of our retailers put them all behind the counter and enter your name in the database to purchase. It's a state law and I'm not having any part of it. I used to get my allergy meds by prescription but my med insurance doesn't cover them any more because most have an over the counter alternative available which brings me right back around to my original problem.

I like the idea of visiting a breeder of one I'm interested in, never thought of that. I'll have to try that out and see how it goes.

crazy mark
02-18-2014, 07:42 PM

I have 4 ankle biters. 1 doesn't like anybody new and will bite if we don't put his electronic collar on him. One other one will bite but not as mean as we can tell him to cool it. The other 2 doxies are mellow but bark.

longhorn
02-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Just checked Michigan law--combos such as Claritin-D (with pseudoephedrine) require record keeping; straight antihistamines do not (plain Claritin or Zyrtec). Besides, you're posting on a firearms board and worrying about a state drug database monitored by DEA mandated algorithms?

winelover
02-19-2014, 08:08 AM
Talk to your Dr. about flonase nasal spray or generic equivalent. I did the whole allergy thing. Wasn't till I was prescribed those steroid nasal sprays did I find any relief.

Winelover

another gsxr 1k
02-19-2014, 04:52 PM
How much work does it take to keep them groomed? How well do they do in colder climates. It will be an inside dog but the winters can be long and cold here in MI.

I will check into this, thanks.

Jailer, Depending on how you style their hair, its not that bad. Mine are in what would be called a modified puppy cut, their hair is essentially about a 1/2" long all over except for the end of the tail and top of the head. They do just fine in cold climates, Just leave the hair a little longer, an inch or inch and a half long is good. I had two other poodles when we lived in Maine. They did just fine with snow.

Lloyd Smale
02-20-2014, 07:29 AM
getting a dog tested for allergys can be expensive. try some over the counter for human benedryl (spelling) My dog had allergys real bad for about a year. Had rashes all over his body. Benedryl was recomended by my vet to stop the itching and worked well other then he slept alot more. After about a year the problem just disapeared

Chakta
02-20-2014, 05:26 PM
I will first suggest to you sir, that you get on line and purchase one of those Air Filters like I did. Now there are a ton of them out there but only 2 that filter way down to .003 mircons. The cost was $800 dollars and worth every penny. My wife took shots for 2 years, she coughed a lot but this machine has cut that down 70%. She also sleeps with it in her room.

Now for dogs, you need a short haired type of dog. There are many breeds to choose from, take your time and look into each one as to what you want. I raise German Shorthair Pointers, they need 45 minutes of hard exercise per day. So if you are not into taking such a dog out, then don't NOT choose any hunting breeds OK>