PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reloading advice for boolite rounds!

tayous1
02-17-2014, 02:51 AM
So I'm not looking for load data or anything else like that I'm looking for advice my HP boolits are casting with one HP pin 214 gr to 219 gr the other is casting at 223 gr to 225 gr! So I'm just wanting to know should I use the 200 gr load data or go with the 230 gr load data? I have been told there is some 225 gr load data out there also. But just looking for advice on what I should do I been told 45ACP can handle a lot more then what is told in the books to be safe and maybe I will toy with +P rounds or +P+ advice on this would be nice but right now just looking to get the most out of my HP cast rounds!

Thanks!!

Love Life
02-17-2014, 02:54 AM
With those weights I would use the 230 gr data and work up.

btroj
02-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Go with 230 gr data and stick with the books.

runfiverun
02-17-2014, 12:12 PM
why would the 45 be able to handle more than what is in the books?
haven't they been testing it for about 100 years now? you'd think information like that would have leaked out by now.

btroj
02-17-2014, 07:15 PM
why would the 45 be able to handle more than what is in the books?
haven't they been testing it for about 100 years now? you'd think information like that would have leaked out by now.

It has, just online. You know, internet rumors, heard a round the water cooler. All the best places to get reliable load info.

The manuals are all layered up. Browning probably was too. The original was loaded way hotter, we just aren't in the know.

Try some heavier loads, just be sure to spread put a tarp to collect pieces as they fly off your handgun. Be sure to wear a full face shield and gloves too.

Oops, forgot the sarcasm purple. My bad.

garym1a2
02-17-2014, 07:22 PM
When you have these type of question you do not have the experance leval to toy with +p and ++Pp loads.
I have been loading for about 5 years and would not even think of +P loads.

fcvan
02-17-2014, 07:46 PM
I would suggest doing some research on the 45 Super first introduced as a concept by Dean Grennel back in 1988. Basically, he trimmed 45 mag brass to ACP length which provided a thicker head which removed the chance of the thin case wall being exposed over the feed ramp. He then made some minor alterations to the setup of a standard 1911 to fire the 45 Super. Those modifications included a 22 lb recoil spring and a stiffer spring for the firing pin.

Dean loaded up 225 grain bullets to 1250 fps at around 36,000 CUP IIRC. He also loaded the 185 to about 1425 fps. Dean described the recoil as being a straight back push with little muzzle flip. Texas Department of Public Safety ended up ordering about 300 guns for issue to agents near the border. The pistols were made up by a Texas gunsmith and engraved 45 Super on the side. When set up for Super the gun would still fire standard 45 ACP ammo, but the recoil spring needed to be reduced for use with softball Gold Cup loads.

Standard brass is susceptible blowing out the case wall over the feed ramp. Starline periodically does a run of 45 Super brass. If you want to push the 45 use the right components. Back in 88, I built my 1911 up to take the 45 Super round but never made up or bought brass. The standard loads I generally shoot work fine in the 1911 with the heavier springs. One day I might just have to buy the brass.

williamwaco
02-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Do Not.

Do Not . .

Do Not . . .

Exceed published loads for the .45 ACP.

If you see recommendations on the web for loads in excess of those published by the powder and bullet manufacturers,

- - - - -> DO NOT USE THEM.

If the .45 ACP can't knock it down, it has four legs.

Get one of these:

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-Desert-Eagle-44-Magnum-Black.asp