PDA

View Full Version : Iron mold care

kooz
12-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I just ordered two RCBS 2-cavity molds, what is the best way to keep them in working oreder. Thanks

jhalcott
12-16-2007, 10:03 PM
If you send them to ME you will NEVER see them get rusty!
Sorry but I just ate some cookies and the sugar's getting to me!

lastmanout
12-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Once I have degreased them and the moulds are working well, I never oil them again- unless they are not gonna be used for a LONG time (years). Humidity and condensation are the enemies of iron moulds, so I don't leave them in unheated areas when I am done casting. If they are not to be used again in a few days, I work them over with a heat gun and wrap in paper before storing them in a GI ammo can (with rubber gasket lid). Also like to shoot a small shot of starting eyther into the can before closing the lid. Has worked out well for me the past 30 years, but I am sure there are better ways. Enjoy:castmine:

DeanoBeanCounter
12-16-2007, 10:48 PM
What's the starting ether do? :confused:
Deano

pumpguy
12-16-2007, 11:11 PM
I store the ones I don't use very often in a 50 cal. ammo can with some of those little dessicant packs. The ones I use all the time just get stored in a drawer on my casting bench. I'm lucky that I live in a really dry climate or I would probably use the ammo can for all of them.

kooz
12-16-2007, 11:17 PM
pumpguy, I am just down the road from you here in Aurora Co. So it sounds like if I just keep them in the house when not using them I'll be ok.

cuzinbruce
12-17-2007, 01:59 PM
I wrap them in anti-rust paper then a plastic bag and store in a plastic box, Plano or something like that. Complete with the handles, that way they are ready to go when needed. Works fine as long as you don't store them in a real humid place.

FISH4BUGS
12-17-2007, 08:05 PM
.........at the risk of starting a fight here, I simply spray them with WD40 when cool and wrap them in plastic. I store them all in a plastic RubberMaid tub with a snap on lid out in the shed without heat all year round and have NEVER had one rust whatsoever. They clean right up with brake cleaner and are ready to cast quickly. VERY long term storage gets them dunked in automatic transmission fluid and wrapped in plastic.
I know....I know.....WD40? What the hell are you using THAT crap for? One reason.....it works for me!

crowbeaner
12-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I coat mine with 90 weight oil and put them in a sealed sandwich baggie. When I want to use them I shoot them with Gumout carb cleaner and let dry.

Topper
12-17-2007, 10:27 PM
After they have cooled down, I use Ballistol to oil them down before storage.
It's a mineral base lubricant and water soluble.

MT Gianni
12-18-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm in SW Montana. I keep them in a drawer in my reloading room. I oil my guns for storage but have not had molds rust yet in 15+ years casting. Gianni

Marshal Kane
12-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Like many of you guys, I wrap them in rust preventative paper, pop them into plastic boxes and store them in the popular GI ammo can with dessicant which is kept in the house under my loading bench. Prior to using, I brush them well with a toothbrush and denatured alcohol.

Le Loup Solitaire
12-18-2007, 03:15 PM
After use I coat the blocks with Clenzoil using a bore patch and a Q-tip in the cavities, I then pull the retaining screws and coat them as well. Seal them in a plastic sandwich bag and store in a GI ammo can. Have never had any rust prob over the decades. Cleanup prior to casting is by soaking them for a while in a solvent..... paint or lacquer thinner, or acetone...wipe dry and then give them 5 minutes or so with a hairdryer before putting them in preheat mode. No wrinkles on the startup castings.

Buckshot
12-19-2007, 03:41 AM
...............There are a couple things I do in the weeks following the new year. One of them is on topic. I toss a couple VPI chips in the mould boxes and loading die boxes. Living in So. California may have something to do with no rust, ever. However we DO get some humidity in the summer on occassion.

...............Buckshot