PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mag 20 Refurbished

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-16-2014, 08:46 PM
For the last several days I've been refurbising a Lyman Mag 20 pot that worked well but was cosmeticly in preety bad shape.
I picked this up for $60 and spent $17 on new paint and stainless hardware.

I used a longer bolt with double nuts on the top right so I could put my PID probe on.

I need to find the Lyman Mag 20 sticker for the front of it.
If anyone has one sitting around i sure could use it.

There are still some good deals on craigs list so keep your eyes open.

Steve

labradigger1
02-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Ooh, pretty. Me likey
Lab

50/50
02-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Steve, As far as a decal goes, a very good way is to take a picture or download a picture of one. Then take it to a graphic arts shop...the ones that make decals for police cars, ambulances, boats, etc. Give the picture to them and tell them how wide and high you want it to be made. They will download the picture on their machine and print one out for you. They'll even put it on for you so there won't be any bubbles in it. Those shops are all over the place. I did this with my boat when I had it repainted. They took a picture of the decal on the side of the boat before I had a paint shop repaint the boat. Once it was done, I brought the boat back to them. They put a new decal on both sides of the boat. That baby looked like it just came out of the showroom. Guys who collect old toys, tractors, tools...any kind of restoration use people like that all the time. Price is very reasonable for most of their work. ---Unless you can get one from Lyman. One other question...I'm thinking about a different lead furnace. How much clearance do you have from the main unit to the base? 4" maybe 6"?

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-16-2014, 11:59 PM
One other question...I'm thinking about a different lead furnace. How much clearance do you have from the main unit to the base? 4" maybe 6"?

Linedoc,

The clearance from the spout to the base is 3 and 7/8"

Thanks for the advise on haveing one made, I know just the guy for it

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Got an Email from Lyman today and there sending me a new decal for free :bigsmyl2:

Iowa Fox
02-18-2014, 11:56 PM
That really turned out nice for you. What did you use for paint? I hope you post a follow up pic after you put the decal on.

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-19-2014, 12:50 AM
That really turned out nice for you. What did you use for paint? I hope you post a follow up pic after you put the decal on.

Krylon High temp

I'm moveing in a couple of weeks to Oregon and sure do hope it gets here before that, Will post a new pic as soon as i can,

Steve

50/50
02-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Glad to see you got the decal, Steve. I never would have thought they would have bothered. That lead furnace is now discontinued, and the new models won't be available till late summer. Hope they're not made in China.

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Pic of the finished pot up in a new thread, Dont know whats going on with the atachments so i started a new thread and they went right in :roll:

Steve