PDA

View Full Version : Do Arthritis or Repetitive Stress injuries Affect Your Casting or Reloading?

Jeff R
02-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Back in the high power days, I could grind through a coffee can of 600 .223 cases in one weekend. Now, my wrists are "cartilage challenged," and I try to do things in batches of 50 or 100. Getting older isn't for sissies, but it beats the alternative.

Have you had to alter your routines?
Jeff

btroj
02-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Yep. I listen to my hands and when they say to quit, I quit.

I can't cast more than a single pot with some moulds, 2 is max with any mould. I just get tired and shakes set it.

Dale53
02-16-2014, 08:49 PM
"Back in the day" I once (note the "once") cast 13,000 .45 ACP SWC's in one weekend. My two sons were putting ingots in a 20 lb Saeco pot to feed the 11 lb. Lyman bottom pour I was casting with. They also did the sizing/lubing and boxing while I was casting.

Now, I commonly do one RCBS bottom pour pot (20#'s of finished bullets) at a time. Sometimes I will do two but not often. It's mostly one pot at a time. Then a couple of days later I'll do another pot. In between I work in the sizing/lubing. I'm no longer trying to shoot 15,000 rounds per year and helping my boys to shoot another 7500 rounds per year[smilie=1:. I am down to about 5000-7500 .45's a year plus half again as many of .38's and .32's. Just a piddling amount, these days.

FWIW
Dale53

Silvercreek Farmer
02-16-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm not old but I don't cast or reload for more than 2 hours or so at a time. It's supposed to be fun, and if it quits being fun there's no reason for me to do it.

randyrat
02-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Casting just about kills me if it is more than a pot. My hands go completely numb due to CTS...I'm scheduling a surgery to fix one hand at a time soon. The Carpal tunnel bull has kicked my butt and it may have been helped along by a visitor named ARTHER ITIS so says the doctor.

I've got a long list of boolits that I need but some days I can't stand the pain shooting up my arm about half way through a casting session. I have tried everything short of surgery and a witch doctor.
I have AR in just about every joint, but I rarely take anything except Mangosteen in a pill form. Mangosteen seems to help with inflammation and that keeps the arthritis pain away. You want to get rich, richer than anybody in the whole world, figure out how to stop Arthritis in the early stages. Wow I feel good, I got the WINNING out of the way.

jmort
02-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Did you work with a computer or as a mechanic? The surgery should/will help, but if you don't take it easy/easier post surgery you will be back in the same boat.

runfiverun
02-16-2014, 09:45 PM
I have one of my presses set up left handed so I swap out the motions alternately.
I can also cast left or right handed so I set up my pots in the middle of the bench so I can switch motions and avoid repetition [took some learning to do this and I forget which side I'm on sometimes which can be pretty comedic to someone watching.]
it works out pretty well though as I just switch molds and go to the other side of the pot.
I learned how to switch left and right because of so many hand/wrist injuries when I was younger.

tazman
02-16-2014, 09:47 PM
At 62 I can't keep anything going as long as I used to. Now I cast until I get tired or start to hurt somewhere(not always the same place). Same for sizing and reloading. With my casting setup and a six banger mold I can usually get about 500 boolits out before I need to quit.
Sizing and reloading is another story. All those handle pulls eventually make my hands go to sleep and I have to stop for a while. Since I am now retired, I can spread the job out over as much time as needed.
I cast on a 30+ year old Lee 10 pound bottom pour pot. I recently got a Lee classic turret and love it, even though I use it in single stage mode.

lwknight
02-16-2014, 09:56 PM
You might look into different presses. My old Rockchuker was hard on my hands so I got a Lee Challenger
It has a nice round ball handle and fully adjustable position. There are several options out there.

I'm mostly using the Lee 6 banger molds. I set up a rack to support the mold for filling and have a little table next to my chair to rest the mold on for dumping. Very little hand motion required and don't have to hold the weight so much. Like an idiot , I have used my hands where I really needed a hammer for years and now I'm paying for it too.

geargnasher
02-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Oh yes. One reason I switched over to the Lee turret and progressive presses is because I don't have to handle each case so many times as in batch loading. I even do "blitzkrieg" decapping in one of my Lee progressives because the collator works so well, just crank them through and they all end up in my catch tray ready to clean. Casting is getting to be more of a challenge, in fact I started buying aluminum moulds instead of brass for volume work. BTDT with CTS and it sucks rocks. I avoided surgery, but I have turned wrenches 45-50 hours a week for fifteen years and the damage from that will never be undone.

The best thing I did for casting and reloading though, was to redo everything so I can do it sitting down with both feet flat on the floor and sitting upright. I have a lot of shoulder and upper back issues and hunching over is a show-stopper. Lower back problems and knee problems from running too many miles are going to catch up with me one day and I'm glad I switched to sitting now, at least my hobby won't make those problems worse.

A mould oven with a thermometer in the top is a great tool for letting you take breaks to stretch or relax when casting. It eliminates the worry from getting in the "zone" and not wanting to stop until the pot is empty, especially with moulds that seem to take forever to get hot just by casting. I keep the mould oven going and just park the mould in there when I need to break for a minute or ten. I also switch hands periodically.

Gear

dragon813gt
02-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Sizing has been killing my elbow lately. It tends to come and go which kind of worries me. It didn't bother me last weekend when I sized close to 1k bullets. And I know it's my body position that's causing it. My bench is to low for standing and I can't find a comfortable chair.

leadman
02-16-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm 62 also and started work at 17 at Cummins Diesel. Had 30+ surgeries with 8 on the hands alone plus arthritis and degenerative disk desease in my neck.
What gets me the most is installing gas checks and crimping them on. I use the Hi-Tek coating now so the sizing is easier with the Lee push thru dies. Before I switched from wax based lube I had added an air cylinder to my RCBS luber/sizer to assist in getting the boolit in and out of the die.
I can tell it is about time to get the nerves in my neck microwaved again as looking down causes pain and headaches.
To all the young guys that aren't damaged physically yet stop and think about what you are doing and do not abuse your body!!

geargnasher
02-16-2014, 10:20 PM
To all the young guys that aren't damaged physically yet stop and think about what you are doing and do not abuse your body!!

The problem is the young guys who don't yet hurt all the time won't really believe this will happen to them until it's too late.

Excellent advice, though.

Gear

dragon813gt
02-16-2014, 10:30 PM
I'm young and I know it will happen to me. It's just a matter of when it will happen. This is the first year that shoveling snow has bothered me. So it looks like it has already started.

btroj
02-16-2014, 10:31 PM
How many old guys do you roofing houses or laying carpet? Not many around here.

I went to school for lots of years to not abuse my body for a living. Instead I abuse my mind! Now if only I had a sit down job.

country gent
02-16-2014, 10:39 PM
HAving MS has opened my eyes to what I want to do, can do and should do. Being "numb" in hands legs feet and arms from this has crwated some issues I have to deal with on a daily basis. Casting I sit and work at a comfortable hieght at a slightly slower pace than before. I also invite a friend to cast with me so some one is there just in case. I cast larger rifle bullets normally and use single caviyty molds. I have been considering a set of locking mold handles ( or converting a set of welders vise grips) to see if they help any. I ussually cast around 300-400 in a setting. Spend a day or so sorting and sizing lubing. I also will sit the mold on the edge of the pot and take a quick short break occasionaly. My major issue is more in my legs and feet from sitting or standing for long periods. I have blistered a finger with out knowing it till I removed the gloves. I really have to pay attention to what Im doing.

MaryB
02-16-2014, 10:51 PM
I have a height adjustable stool that I use for reloading and casting. With massive back problems, carpal tunnel surgery once, rotator cuff twice on the right arm I stop as soon as my hand/shoulder says to. But I setup for casting with a brace for the mold, only use a 2 cavity to keep weight down and have my bullet drop zone right in front of the pot and myself. I have a smaller shelf the pot is raised up on so I can see the bottom pour and the drop is right in front/under it. Been struggling a bit more since the accident with the right hand/wrist. I bent the shifter in the car forward an inch with that hand. Tore something, still swells 4 months after the accident. Will be getting a CT scan on it in a week or so to see what I messed up.

novalty
02-16-2014, 10:57 PM
I've had rheumatoid arthritis since age 7, and found that the day after a casting session, I am sore as heck. My wrists, forearms, back, shoulders will ache for a couple days afterwards.

Recluse
02-17-2014, 02:25 AM
I went to school for lots of years to not abuse my body for a living. Instead I abuse my mind! Now if only I had a sit down job.

I abused my body in the military so I could get a GI Bill and go to school so as not to have to take more abuse.

Too late. The damage was done then and has been manifesting itself for the past fifteen-plus years.

It's not just casting and/or reloading that has been affected. It's been my entire life.

:coffee:

dromia
02-17-2014, 04:19 AM
Ageing is your youth catching up with you.

I have arthritis in my spins shoulders and hands, the most debilitating as regards doing things is my hands they swell up, get hurtful and loose tactility quickly. This especially effected case prep, my most hated reloading task, as the twisting and turning of the tolls soon put my hands out of action. To over come this I went the powdered route first investing in a Lyman power trimmer and various drill mounted prep tools, more recently I've added a Lyman case prep Xpress unit and now case prep is at least bearable.

When it comes to casting about an hour is the most I can do at a sitting without storing up pain for the following day, for most medium calibre boolits I've found that four cavity aluminium mould give me the best combination of lightness and production.

When it comes to smelting a few of us casting cripples get together to share the load and speed the task.

I'm OK at the handloading bench, get my self comfortable with the right height and I can spend all day there with breaks. I use turrets, manual and auto-indexing as well as progressives to help with the repetitive tasks and reduce number of motions my hands make.

The worst thing about the arthiritis is that it has put an end to my prone shooting, I can get down and I can get up fine but I know all about it the next few days.

I've now taken to shooting "prone" sitting from the bench with just my chest and elbows resting. Not as steady as actual prone but it is just another technique to learn and master.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Getting old is sh!te and definitely not for sissys but as long as you are above ground then the rest is up to your self.

wch
02-17-2014, 05:37 AM
I'm not old but I don't cast or reload for more than 2 hours or so at a time. It's supposed to be fun, and if it quits being fun there's no reason for me to do it.

Exactly.

farmerjim
02-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Wow, I thought I was in bad shape. Double knee replacement, 3 spinal surgery’s, too many to count steroid injections into joints all over the body, have to ask for an extra sheet of paper to list all the surgeries when I visit a new doctor, have to go on a diet to be able to take all my pills. I think I might start training to run a marathon. God bless all you old fart$. I hope I will be there one day. Well back out into the fields to abuse this god given body some more.

Jailer
02-17-2014, 09:30 AM
How many old guys do you roofing houses or laying carpet? Not many around here.

I worked for a roofer for 3 summers part time along with my full time gig. I swear those 3 summers aged my body 10 years.

Tendonitis in my left elbow limits how long I can cast. With an aluminum 2 cavity I can still go a while. With a 4 cavity brass about half a pot and I'm done for about 3 days due to the pain.

Cherokee
02-17-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm 73, I shoot more now than I ever did because I have the time. That means more casting, but I only do one 20# pot full at a time. I like the Lee 6Cv molds because they are easy to work with and light. My Lyman 4Cv molds really get heavy half way through a pot - old Art gets to me. I haven't had the injuries some of you have had but I have had to make accomodations to avoid pain or stress.

44man
02-17-2014, 10:12 AM
I am the luckiest SOB on earth. I worked hard all my life, mechanic up to semi's. 42 years fueling airplanes and loading freight, mail and bags. Poured basement walls, plumbing, construction, roofing, you name it from cutting and splitting firewood by the tons.
I am over 76 with no pains, never any surgery but poor eyesight and shaking has taken hold. I do not feel any different then when I was 20. Ugly with a beer belly of course. Can't run anymore.
But to hear all of you I can do nothing but pray and feel sorry for all of you.
Carol has pains and a bum knee, can't understand why I have none. Maybe it is because of my dogs?
I also never go to a doctor unless I need anti biotics, rare as hell, once in 20 years or more. I take no pills at all and will never let any doctor prescribe any, yes, they tried when I had to have a physical for work. Stick those pills where the sun doesn't shine, they will kill you.
I have been retired a long time and have not even had a cold since.
I am going to tell you about all my friends that take 20 or more pills a day, they are getting worse.
I eat anything, tons and tons of cheese. I can eat half a container of sour cream, only real butter, beef and pork fat. I love hot peppers. Smoked meats and fish. I love good whiskey or cheap stuff.
Doctors will do you more harm then beating your head against concrete.

Shuz
02-17-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm 73, and peripheral neuropathy has set in my feet. I try to do as much of my casting and reloading as I can from the sitting position. My hands are starting to get affected now as well. I still manage to shoot a lot of .44 mags from light revolvers, but it ain't as much fun as it used to be. Still, I'm thankful to God that I can do what I can, and that I've lived so well for so long.

bobthenailer
02-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Back in the day i could cast for 3 or 4 hours at a time with hardly a break ! fast forward to today im 65 and only cast for no more than 1 1/2 hours actual casting time not including a few short breaks in between . but i also L/S after casting as i water drop from the mould for 99% of my boolets after another short break, i l/s on my two stars so i kill about 4 hours in all including breaks . and thats enough until the next casting session in a day or two.

Walter Laich
02-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Like others have said, "Do it till it's no longer fun."
time varies based on many things but there still fun 'in them hills.'

tygar
02-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Back in the high power days, I could grind through a coffee can of 600 .223 cases in one weekend. Now, my wrists are "cartilage challenged," and I try to do things in batches of 50 or 100. Getting older isn't for sissies, but it beats the alternative.

Have you had to alter your routines?
Jeff

Can't go for more than 2-3 hrs. Whether that's 50 or 500 I'm done. 2 spinal operations, 8 herniated or ruptured discs, DJD of everything except knees & ankles, numerous skeletal & muscular back injuries + more, means sit in easy chair & pop pain pills for the rest of the day!

Been rode hard & put away wet way too much.

But it's still fun.

Leadmelter
02-17-2014, 10:22 PM
I am with you guys. I can no longer crank the rounds on the 550B I used to. Bad wrist and ehat flared over recent yrs from fx as a kid. I take two Aleve and time myself when I am on the Dillon. Because of COPD, 2-3 hrs casting is the max, so I make sure all my ducks are lined up to row and go like crazy.
Just turned 60 but I plan on doing this hobby until whenever.
As a MRI tech for the last 25+ yrs, research any surgery option with an open mind. Not all surgeons are created equally.
Leadmelter
MI

popper
02-17-2014, 11:48 PM
Sit whenever possible reloading or casting. So far just the shoulder giving me trouble. Retired so the pot isn't going any place, just take my time and a break when I feel like it. I suppose one of the fancy progressives would help.

dverna
02-18-2014, 12:35 AM
My hands, left elbow, neck and shoulders are so bad I have moved more and more to equipment solutions. I can no longer carry a 25 lb of shot in my left hand.

I use 4 progressives for pistol ammo and both shotgun presses are motorized. I still load rifle on a single stage but I am looking at moving my "plinking" rifle ammo to the progressives as well.

I am now looking at the purchase of a Magma Master Caster for pistol bullets. I remember using a 10 cavity H&G and casting 4-5000 bullets at a sitting. But that was 40 years ago.

No matter how bad things get, I am thankful. I have friends who will never shoot again.

Don Verna

Slow Elk 45/70
02-18-2014, 01:14 AM
I feel your pain my friends, after a hard life of hard work, I'm lucky to be able to cast a few and shoot a few, this is better that the alternative !!

dudel
02-18-2014, 09:22 AM
I've got the beginnings of CTS (and don't care to see it go any further - thank you very much).

I find that when I'm getting ready to do things that put my wrist in stressful positions, it works out best if I put on a wrist brace. The difference between driving long distances, casting heavy boolits, long keyboard sessions, etc with and without the brace are night and day. So, I wear the brace while doing these high stress activities. I'd rather wear the brace than get surgery. A simple wrist brace from the local drugstore does the trick.

osteodoc08
02-18-2014, 11:59 AM
I'm still young and try to take steps to prevent carpal tunnel and other repetitive injury issues.

This is the main reason I gave up the >45 colt game. I loved my 454 cannon, but I could feel it in my wrists if I shot any appreciable amount.

You can call me a sissy a pansy or whatever. I need to take care of my body, especially my hands and wrists.

hickfu
02-18-2014, 12:26 PM
I have had agonizing pain in both legs since I was 14, when I was 19 they said it was because of bad veins so they stripped the veins in my legs. It didnt help, a few years later they stripped more because they said they missed some and it should stop the pain.... NOPE! Now I have the pain and poor circulation. I also now have 10 bulging disks in my back and neck all pinching on nerves, its not really fun when they all do it together!!! I had a head ache for almost 4 years that wouldnt go away because of a nerve in my neck. Now I have fibromyalgia... YEA!!! Its hard to do anything now, I hurt if I dont move and I hurt if I move....

I used to cast 2 to 3 thousands boolits per casting session for my 45-70, now I can hardly cast and havent in almost a year :( I just got a 35 Rem that I would love to cast for and I will get the mold but still I dont know how I will be able to unless they come up with some medication that will cut down on the pain.... Lyrica is next!

I have 1100lbs of lead alloy that I want to make into 1100lbs of cast boolits, at this rate it will take a long time....

Doc

Hawkeye45
02-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Btroj, I know exactly how you feel, I went the same route. Standing on your feet for an 8 to 12 hour shift can kill you in more ways than one. Not to mention the stress. I only cast and load until it stops being fun. Then stop for awhile. I have had to adjust to sitting down for most of my bench time now.
Keep on keeping on

Mr. Ed

wallenba
02-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Yes, they do. The arthritis in my shoulder has forced me to chase one priming system after another. Looking for the one that requires the least amount of back and forth. Going from bench height to the top of my RCBS APS system and back was killing me. What I settled with was my old original, 35 year old RCBS bench mounted priming system. Should have known better.
Long sessions of pulling press rams was giving me pains in my ribs at the sternum. Doctor said it was costochondritis, and inflammation of the tissue where the ribs join the sternum. I still get it from time to time. Aspirin and fingertip pressure at the site help.

Shiloh
02-18-2014, 07:12 PM
My replacement knee gives me trouble from time to time standing in one place for a long time.

Shiloh

MaryB
02-19-2014, 01:19 AM
I think the fibro can be more crippling than the bad joints. When I have a fibro flare it can lay me out in bed.

I have had agonizing pain in both legs since I was 14, when I was 19 they said it was because of bad veins so they stripped the veins in my legs. It didnt help, a few years later they stripped more because they said they missed some and it should stop the pain.... NOPE! Now I have the pain and poor circulation. I also now have 10 bulging disks in my back and neck all pinching on nerves, its not really fun when they all do it together!!! I had a head ache for almost 4 years that wouldnt go away because of a nerve in my neck. Now I have fibromyalgia... YEA!!! Its hard to do anything now, I hurt if I dont move and I hurt if I move....

I used to cast 2 to 3 thousands boolits per casting session for my 45-70, now I can hardly cast and havent in almost a year :( I just got a 35 Rem that I would love to cast for and I will get the mold but still I dont know how I will be able to unless they come up with some medication that will cut down on the pain.... Lyrica is next!

I have 1100lbs of lead alloy that I want to make into 1100lbs of cast boolits, at this rate it will take a long time....

Doc