PDA

View Full Version : slug and buckshot

TheDoctor
02-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Was bored this weekend. Dangerous situation to be in with me. Decided to try to coat some 00 buck, just to see if it could be done, or how well. Did a few Lee Key Drive slugs while I was at it. Slugs turned out nice, ES method. Buck, well, not so much. Tried ES with one, but no way to get complete coverage. Hand tumbled those afterward to try to cover up the bald spots. Worked, so so. Not satisfied at all. Tried a different batch, totally hand tumbled. Took 4 coats to get what I would call coverage. Guess those little pellets are on the light side for tumbling. Maybe if I had put about 1/2 pound in there, it would have worked better, versus just a few pellets. No real need to do this with either one that I can see, just killing time.

Maybe the buckshot would do better with 1., more shot 2., less powder 3., much longer tumble time. Since there is such a small area of the puppy touching anything at one time, will probably take considerably longer to get a good coating than with regular boolits. Maybe using piglets or rangefinders methods will be easier if someone just HAD to coat buckshot...

First pic is the slugs, of course. Second is ES buckshot, with a tumble follow up. Third is totally hand tumbled. Hard to see the bald spots, lots of glare on these pics. ES buck has quite a few... All coating done using HF Red.

AlaskanGuy
02-16-2014, 03:39 PM
LOL.... I wonder if LongBow has seen this??? Might fix a couple problems he has been having....

Intel6
02-18-2014, 01:10 PM
I had some left over Hi Tek coating and coated a bunch of buck shot from a Lee mould just because.

Don't think it will do much but it looks neat.

CastingFool
02-18-2014, 01:38 PM
If you can get a dimpled surface on them, like a golf ball, they probably fly farther. lol