PDA

View Full Version : Low(er) recoil 12 ga slug load and sight recommendations needed

eseemann
02-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Good Morning All,

for the last 2 years I have hunted with my Maverick 88 12 Gauge All-Purpose Pump-Action Shotgun with the 28" barrel and I got to tell you it has been very useful. 1 deer this and 1 deer last year crossed my path when I had the 88 with me and both of these deer are no longer with us so I got to say I really like it. One thing I was wondering about is trying a lower recoil load slug than the 2 3/4 fed true ball slugs that I have been using. I only use the shotgun for short range work, under 40 yards, and I would not mind trading some power for more a controllable shot recovery. I can use the Mossberg ported slug barrrel for about as much as I paid for the shotgun but I wondered if there might be a better way. I can load 12 gauge hulls so I wondered if anyone had messed around with a lower powered load.
Also the VERY cheap nylon front bead sight fell off my gun (I did not check my shotgun, that is on me) and when a buck happened to wonder by my shoot house at 20 yards I missed the first shot and was able to hit with a mix of the elevation equivalent of Kentucky windage and blind luck.

I wonder if anyone had used a reflex sight on a 12 gauge and had one to recommend.

Thanks all,

Ernest

jmort
02-16-2014, 12:09 PM
I would use reduced recoil Flitecontrol Fereral 00 buckshot with a Red dot like the one from Primary Arms for around $80.00. You will not get a decent reflex site for $80.00. Out to 40 yards you will be good.

longbow
02-16-2014, 12:27 PM
If you want to handload slugs, you can use equivalent weight to birdshot load recipes for lower velocity/recoil so 1 oz. slug replaces 1 oz. birdshot or 1 1/8 oz. slug replaces 1 1/8 oz. birdshot... with wad column adjustment to suit crimp.

Also, here is some load data from Slugs-r-Us which include one low recoil load:

http://slugsrus.com/store/product28.html

This is for their slug but could be used for equivalent weight slug as well.

Longbow

eseemann
02-16-2014, 09:40 PM
jmortimer,
thanks for the info on buckshot and sights. I figured something like a reflex sight might be costly. Alabama has this thing about buckshot for deer season. Slugs only. I still do not understand the why of that other than (like with most waterfowl rules) it may relate back to market hunting.
Excess650,
Thanks I will take a look
Longbow,
I will give that a go.

jmort
02-16-2014, 09:57 PM
There are two one ounce rifled slugs that are reduced recoil that would work for you, the Fiocchi and the Brenneke. Will shoot a little lower but will easily do the job. Too bad you can't use the buckshot.

Bigslug
02-16-2014, 11:48 PM
If I remember correctly, there is a low recoil version of the Federal Truball. I've shot a metric buttload of the Winchester L.R. Rangers out of smoothbore 870's and found them perfectly adequate for anything inside of 75Y.

You might consider going to the either the ghost ring sights that Mossberg has issued for years with the 590's, or their newer approach of the LPA sights (brazed to the front, Picatinny rail hookup atop the receiver)

nannyhammer
02-17-2014, 08:54 AM
+1 on the Federal Reduced Recoil slugs. I shoot them in a scoped Rem 1100 with a rifled screw in choke and get 2.0" or less three shot groups at 50yds. Although I haven't had the opportunity to use them on a deer, at the advertised 1300fps should be more than adequate for close range deer.

eseemann
02-17-2014, 10:09 AM
All,
Since the truball standard have been such an effective load I think I might should try the LR slug.
As to the sights I have thought about a ghost ring but never tried one. I had tried something called a beard buster deadringerhunting.com/product/beard-buster/‎ but the front sight kept coming loose and I did not have the success I thought I should have had. I will look in to the Mossberg sights next.

thanks