PDA

View Full Version : Start small grasshopper

meece
02-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Ok so we managed to work out the molding boolits issues and now are turning out about 70 out of 100 useable boolits, decided to start small and load up some subsonic "test" rounds and managed to get out last evening and try them out in the SKS and my sons (sidfail on this forum) JW103,

My SKS chambered most of the rounds except 4 that seemed to have too much of a lip on them from not setting up the case flairing properly. fired off 20 or so rounds at a 50 yrd target all within 2 inches of each other ... at this point in time more than happy with that sort of accuracy as we predominantly hunt MOG (minute of Goat)

ran a few though the crony and all where @ the 950 fps mark with 6 grains of trailboss powder. looking at maybe punching it up to 1000fps. we are utilising reloaded berdan steel cases with modified boxer primers and as the pressure is a lot less that a full load there is no sign of pressure issues.

the only issue we had was a number of FTF (failure to fire) in Sidfails JW103, the firing pin would dent the primer but not detonate. I tried one after a few miniutes to make sure it wasnt going to go off in the SKS, the SKS fired it no problem so im wondering if the Winchester Primers are a fraction "hard" for the JW103's firing pin, which is a little strange since the JW has less than 100 rounds though it. maybe try some different primers. Edit Not the "modified" primer in the steel cases either, did it on a number of boxer primed brass we have as well.

No signs of leading in the SKS, the Subs wont cycle but thats not an issue, I just cycle the bolt manually, no big deal.

the 168 grains travelling at 950 fps give me something like 390 ft/lb energy, Ive done some research and cant find anything on how much ft/lb enery is needed on goats however farmers have been culling goats here for years with .22LR's, will need to do some penatration tests before testing it on a live target though.

The SKS is a dream to shoot with the 7.62x39 subs, quiet, no louder than a 22lr and with about as much recoil, cycling the bolt means I can catch all the cases for another reload, with full power loads my SKS ejects the cases into a parallel universe

All in all I would have to call our first attempt at boolit reloading a success, just need to sort the FTF issues with the winchester primers but things are looking good for a subsonic close range Goat culling round

runfiverun
02-15-2014, 08:01 PM
he might have some gunk holding up the pin.
if you find nothing some federal primers could fix the situation.
if those fail to go off, I'd look at the headspace-case relationship [might start there anyway it costs nothing] in that rifle.

gon2shoot
02-16-2014, 08:49 AM
You might also check to be sure the primers are fully seated when installed. Sometimes a primer will be set a little light, be fully seated with the first strike and fired with the second one.

Chihuahua Floyd
02-16-2014, 11:41 AM
With the steel cases I would think along the lines of what gon2shoot says. The SKS probably has a sufficient spring to set and fire anything not quit seated while the JW103 may have a weaker spring that will seat or fire but not both.
Did your son try hitting any of the FTF round again in the JW103? That could be the telling item.
CF

meece
02-16-2014, 02:19 PM
With the steel cases I would think along the lines of what gon2shoot says. The SKS probably has a sufficient spring to set and fire anything not quit seated while the JW103 may have a weaker spring that will seat or fire but not both.
Did your son try hitting any of the FTF round again in the JW103? That could be the telling item.
CF

Hi and thanks for the response, Yes he did, up to 5 times then waited 5 mins and ejected them, primers looked well seated in the brass cases (highland brass) and when comparing with the SKS the dent was not as deep, my money is on a firing pin issue more than our reloading however I have since found out that winchester and cci primers are classed as "hard" primers which is good in the SKS. Federal do large "soft" primers so will whip up a batch for the JW103 and see if that makes a difference.

cheers Meece