PDA

View Full Version : Remington moving to Huntsville, AL?

02-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Is this true?

02-15-2014, 01:10 PM
http://yellowhammernews.com/nationalpolitics/remington-arms-moving-1200-jobs-ny-alabama/

Love Life
02-15-2014, 01:14 PM
That would be so awesome.

02-15-2014, 01:17 PM
That's the local buzz this am

Doc Highwall
02-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Love it!!!

leeggen
02-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Yeah take that you Newyork lawmakers and antigun activist.
CD

zidave
02-15-2014, 01:54 PM
That is awesome!

w5pv
02-15-2014, 01:56 PM
I think Remington took commode at his word when he said that no place in nooooyork for anti *****,pro lifers,pro guns and right wing conxervatives.Good for them,wish they were moving to Texas but AL is a lot better than nooooyork by a long sight.

dragon813gt
02-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Glad to hear it. The problem is that no one in power in NY is going to care.

jmort
02-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Some great news on firearms manufacturers lately. Liberals don't deserve firearms.

Hardcast416taylor
02-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Glad to hear it. The problem is that no one in power in NY is going to care.

The all mighty tax dollar will make a few people take notice, especially if Remington totally closes their NOOO YAWK operations.Robert

Hickory
02-15-2014, 02:20 PM
The South may win the war yet.

rodman68
02-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Seeing adds out here in washington state for companies to move to New York and the first ten years are tax free.

runfiverun
02-15-2014, 02:25 PM
great first they send marlin there and screw it up.
now we get some "bubba" building remingtons..:lol:

02-15-2014, 02:29 PM
Huntsville is full of smart bubbas...lol

captaint
02-15-2014, 02:30 PM
So good for Alabama. Funny, when Bloomberg get it shoved up his pitutotty, he gets a little pissy, eh ?? Mike

02-15-2014, 02:31 PM
I don't think this is actually official yet, but I sure hope it turns out to be true!

whelenshooter
02-15-2014, 02:39 PM

And so is Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile, et al. Believe it or not I lived up 'north' for a time and there are smart bubbas in Fort Wayne as well. :lol:

John Allen
02-15-2014, 02:54 PM
I would love to see them move. The more things like this that happen maybe the liberal news will not be able to ignore all of it.

w5pv
02-15-2014, 02:54 PM
I will not post a flame
I will not post a flame
I will not post a flame
Ok I am over it.

jmort
02-15-2014, 02:57 PM
I'll take "Bubba" building my gun over some "***" from New York.

phaessler
02-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Exactly.
I hope they do it quickly. And get everything straight soon.

Pete

02-15-2014, 03:44 PM
i'm excited about what this would do for the economy/jobs in North Alabama, but a change such as this says so much! this country needs to hear and see these types of bold statements. i also hope that Remington does a good job of taking care of their employees that hold these jobs now. they likely have employees that have been there for decades

snuffy
02-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Thar, that ill larne 'em! But libTARDS ain't all that smart----are they!

whelenshooter
02-15-2014, 05:12 PM
i'm excited about what this would do for the economy/jobs in North Alabama, but a change such as this says so much! this country needs to hear and see these types of bold statements. i also hope that Remington does a good job of taking care of their employees that hold these jobs now. they likely have employees that have been there for decades

Good point. It's unfortunate that government many times causes these kinds of moves. But of course to great degree (not totally though) the government we have in any location is the government we as a 'collective' for that locale have put there, for better or worse.

David

Hang Fire
02-15-2014, 09:33 PM

Smile when you say that Yankee, and who are you to insult southerners ?

btroj
02-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Smile when you say that Yankee, and who are you to insult southerners ? Especially with you living in the HOOSIER state.

Hoosier state? Run is in Idaho. I don't think he is technically a Yankee.

While I am happy to see Remington leave NY I also know this will lead to much tooth gnashing over the changes to come. We are gonna see Marlin all over again.

Who wants to be first to complain about the poor fit and finish on the new Alabamingtons? Then we can hash out the issues with the Alabamartins.

02-15-2014, 09:51 PM
ramalin? southern remlin? bamaremlin? LOL. yeah i hope it's a good product in the end. could take a while for sure. does anyone know if Remington is currently a union? it's doubtful that they would be in Alabama

357maximum
02-15-2014, 09:56 PM
The bad thing is that the whole state of New York is gonna pay dearly for an ideal/agenda that a few in NYC area have. The same thing can be said about crook county/chicago for Illinois ...the same thing is happening in Michigan too ....Detroilett/Lansing/KZOO/Benton Harlem and the other cesspools are killing the rest of the state. Urban V.S Rural is the issue at hand here and it will be the one that starts the fight.....luckily I have alot of faith in who will win that fight, but the costs will be high unfortunately.

btroj
02-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Yep, urban vs rural it is.

dtknowles
02-15-2014, 10:43 PM

Yeah, fine, go ahead and oversimplify it if it makes you feel better.

Tim

jaysouth
02-15-2014, 10:52 PM

Them bubbas down in Huntsville dun be buildin' rockets and spacecraft, mebbe they kin figger out summthin as simple as shootin' irons.

I am sorry for the folks in NY who will lose their jobs, but time and change march on.

357maximum
02-15-2014, 11:45 PM
Yeah, fine, go ahead and oversimplify it if it makes you feel better.

Tim

Tim.....If that is not the root of the issue the politico's are exploiting to divide and conquer...............please type away so that a simpleton like myself can understand your rant.

Elkins45
02-15-2014, 11:58 PM

It's not that simple. I know some VERY rural Appalachians who dearly love their nanny state handouts and are heavily armed. They love to complain about that (insert favorite racist slur here) in the White House who wants to take their guns away, but are happy to cash that welfare or "disability" check and use EBT cards to buy food.

It's more complicated than just gun rights. But to address the original point of the thread: moving is good but what would be even better would be if the gun makers would refuse to sel their products to NY state government or police agencies. People who hate guns shouldn't be allowed to buy them.

Love Life
02-16-2014, 12:00 AM
Remington recently auctioned off a BOATLOAD of old Marlin machinery. They are coming into a new era in my opinion. You should see the new actions from Brownells made with CNC. I have one sitting right in front of me that is superb (except for the whole soldered on bolt handle thingy).

Now if they'd pull their heads from their buttocks and get better barrels...

WILDEBILL308
02-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Just a note about the country city thing. I was in New York State this summer. Not the city. I drove east to west and 80+% of the yards had sine’s in them calling for the repeal of the latest anti gun legislation.
I hope Remington gets it done.
Bill

Love Life
02-16-2014, 12:01 AM
It's not that simple. I know some VERY rural Appalachians who dearly love their nanny state handouts and are heavily armed. They love to complain about that (insert favorite racist slur here) in the White House who wants to take their guns away, but are happy to cash that welfare or "disability" check and use EBT cards to buy food.

It's more complicated than just gun rights. But to address the original point of the thread: moving is good but what would be even better would be if the gun makers would refuse to sel their products to NY state government or police agencies. People who hate guns shouldn't be allowed to buy them.

They also buy Mountain Dew by the case...

35 shooter
02-16-2014, 01:04 AM
Dont know how the gun making will go but they sure make a good boolit lube in Alabama....it's called Ben's Red!:wink: Same guy knows how to handle a rifle real well too. I would imagine a Reminton will still be a Remington wherever they move too. Besides they probably just heard about the great whitetail hunting there.:grin:

Lefty Red
02-16-2014, 01:08 AM
Don't care where Remington moves too as long as they start making better weapons!

uscra112
02-16-2014, 01:19 AM
Yeah take that you Newyork lawmakers and antigun activist.
CD

Take that to the union, too.

And Ilion is the quintessential failed rust belt town. Uncomfortable for decent folks to live in, at best.

The Virginian
02-16-2014, 01:24 AM
Suck it up Yankee union lovers, these companies have had enough and will move to the South where they will not have to deal with the BS in places like New York, Connecticut, IL etc. I would not blame Colt for totally moving their operations to Florida completely too. We Southerners care more per capita about our Second Amendment rights and our gun industry than the Northeast by miles.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-16-2014, 01:40 AM
This is a good start. It is past due time that libtards learned that rhetoric has consequences...

Rich
David Allan Coe for President

The Virginian
02-16-2014, 01:57 AM
The more companies they chase to the South or the non commie West, the better, the worse off they are and they deserve it.

Love Life
02-16-2014, 01:58 AM
If Colt moves to Florida, expect SAA stamped in CT to go full retard on prices.

Hang Fire
02-16-2014, 04:48 AM
Remington recently auctioned off a BOATLOAD of old Marlin machinery. They are coming into a new era in my opinion. You should see the new actions from Brownells made with CNC. I have one sitting right in front of me that is superb (except for the whole soldered on bolt handle thingy).

Now if they'd pull their heads from their buttocks and get better barrels...

Think of the Pietta C&B pistols that Cabela's sells and were made possible by Pietta investing in state of the art CNC machine tools to produce them. I have two of the Pietta 1858 Remingtons that are finished very, very, well indeed and are extremely accurate, paid just over $200.00 each.

Family and I got tour of the Ruger plant in Prescott, AZ, and automation of the machine tools was something to behold.

wch
02-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Remington's reaction to New York's "SAFE" act: let's see how Cuomo spins this!

Teddy (punchie)
02-16-2014, 07:23 AM

Amen !!! To that what is good for the goose is good for the gander!!

s1120
02-16-2014, 07:35 AM
Remington's reaction to New York's "SAFE" act: let's see how Cuomo spins this!

He already is. Saying they are not loosing jobs.. what is true.. for now the plant is still there, running, as always... BUT... we missed out on all those NEW jobs, that are moving somewere else. Sadly its not 90% of upstate that is causing this. The state is so waterd down by the people in NYC that we are stuck getting dragged in the mud by them.

Teddy (punchie)
02-16-2014, 07:42 AM
They all need to move from NY , any one that has anything to do with making the ammo and firearms.

Then charge a huge sir charge to move it back in, also charge the government there sir charge for insurance charge for under insured law enforcement even if it is a line of bull. Look they are use to it the Oil Company have been doing it for past 10 years or more, Oil at 98.00 and 3.50-3.75 for gasoline, should be like 2.25 !!

Make them pay it was there Idea. Remington is doing these I support them as Much as I can. Would like to see same if not more happen in Conn.

Make them PAID !!! All that smart make them PAID WITH MONEY , use it to help move the employes to new plant.

garym1a2
02-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Typically the reasons these companies are really moving to the south has NOTHING to do with gun laws. Mostly they move due states with low tax rates and non-unions!

Teddy (punchie)
02-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Move the old Numeric Arms (sp) // Gun Parts Inc. not sure of name now, move them to.

Maybe better yet, make NY NY and area around them a new State, let the other 98% of land owners have the rights back !! They love there big city so Much. They had some heavy gun laws there for year has it changed?? I have no good reason to go there, have a Niece there, unless she in need of help. I never go there and waste time or money.

I don't care to even watch News or the Markets There. Have to all start one cent a time standing are ground. Remington should change there stock out of NY Stock Exchange to a different one, so should any other company in firearms.

Start doing changes like this and they all will say why, they have shown they only care about today and now, have no idea what made us the country that is and can be. They all like the control go back to Europe, Why did every ones families all leave to start with. TOO MUCH CONTROL, FREEDOM

dragon813gt
02-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Typically the reasons these companies are really moving to the south has NOTHING to do with gun laws. Mostly they move due states with low tax rates and non-unions!

And we have a winner. 10 years tax free is awfully appealing to stock holders. Remember that Remington is part of a large corporate umbrella. I'm sure that the anti gun laws have some play in it. But like most things in life, follow the money.

And as far as rural goes? Have you guys been to upstate NY where Remington is located? It's extremely rural. We have a saying in PA. You have Philly on the east, Pittsburgh on the west and Alabama in the middle. There are Bubbas all over the US.

largom
02-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Beretta is also moving to the South. Moving to middle Tenn. about 25 miles from my home. They are moving from Maryland, my old home state. The news station said the move was for "expansion" however word on the street is that they will close the operation in Maryland due to anti-gun laws there.

Larry

02-16-2014, 09:57 AM
I was about to send them my H&R receiver to get it fitted with a .357 barrel. In fact, I already have my order # and confirmation email about it. They are just waiting on it to show up, but I might just hold off. I know it could be years but it sure would be cool to see "Huntsville,AL" stamped on the barrel. I could also run up there in about 45min on an afternoon :)

myg30
02-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Im sad for the folks upstate to loose their jobs. Its hard finding work up there. Maybe they will get an offer they cant refuse to re locate to Ala. Its beautiful country there, lots of farm land. Lots of city folk go up there to retire and live well.
With Beretta moving and Hopeful Remington moving, there are lots of other firearm related company's that should follow too.

What ever happen to Magpul moving out of Dope smoking Colorado ? God Bless all of them for going south either for tax breaks or gun laws or just to tick off the anti gun libral Como's, Bloomberg's in the north.

Ya just got ta love it ! Mike

WILDEBILL308
02-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Don't care where Remington moves too as long as they start making better weapons!
Lefty that would put dozens of gun righters out of work. You would be taking one of there staple subjects away. "How to make your Remington shoot better." Next you will want to take away comparing the 38 spl to the 9mm.
Bill

jmort
02-16-2014, 11:43 AM
The Beretta family said the specific reason they were moving was the idiotic gun laws. That is why Magpul is moving, idiotic liberal gun laws

Recluse
02-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Suck it up Yankee union lovers, these companies have had enough and will move to the South where they will not have to deal with the BS in places like New York, Connecticut, IL etc. I would not blame Colt for totally moving their operations to Florida completely too. We Southerners care more per capita about our Second Amendment rights and our gun industry than the Northeast by miles.

Damn straight.

I keep writing letters to Mossberg, Colt and Smith & Wesson informing that so long as they remain rooted in enemy territory, neither myself nor anyone in my family will ever purchase a new product from them.

When Beretta gets set up and operational in Tennessee, I'll be buying my wife and both grown daughters Beretta firearms just to make a point and support the move.

Likewise, I'll buy some Magpul magazines when they get cleared out of Colorado--and I don't even own an AR-15 and have no intention of ever doing so. But I'll buy a few magazines and give them out as birthday and Christmas presents just to show support.

:coffee:

Recluse
02-16-2014, 01:13 PM
And as far as rural goes? Have you guys been to upstate NY where Remington is located? It's extremely rural. We have a saying in PA. You have Philly on the east, Pittsburgh on the west and Alabama in the middle. There are Bubbas all over the US.

This is a perfect example of why we despise you damned yankees down here in the South. You think if it ain't NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, et al, then it must be Bubba-land.

I think I'll stop now, take a break and give Frank some some more company.

dragon813gt
02-16-2014, 01:51 PM
This is a perfect example of why we despise you damned yankees down here in the South. You think if it ain't NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, et al, then it must be Bubba-land.
You realize it's not meant as a slam against the south, right? And we do live in the same country. I don't hate people from the south while you seem to hate everyone from the north. I judge a man based in his character, not where he is from.

montana_charlie
02-16-2014, 01:56 PM
So good for Alabama. Funny, when Bloomberg get it shoved up his pitutotty, he gets a little pissy, eh ?? Mike
Just because you typed his name ...
I'll mention that Bloomberg's club of Mayors Against Illegal Guns has seen so many desertions recently, it may not even exist, anymore.

So sad ...

sundog
02-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Yes, there is a pervasive attitude from some areas of the country that folks who live in 'fly over country' are uneducated, unsophisticated dolts. That simply is not true. That northeast and left coast elitist sentiment does not wash well with conservative Americans. We see through it. Global warming, green environment, common core, gay marriage, and some such are nothing more that veiled attempts at controlling the masses, when in fact what should be happening is encouragement toward individual independence. We might live in the same country, but there are a lot of people who do not think American, like the Founders intended. Antiquated and quaint? Hardly.

btroj
02-16-2014, 02:18 PM
There are many in "fly over" country who prefer to be thought of that way. It helps keep the masses from the east and west coast from moving here and screwing things up.

dragon813gt
02-16-2014, 02:20 PM
Here's a little tidbit of information. Most people in the NE don't have the attitudes you think we do. Most of the area is rural w/ the same conservative sensibilities the people in "fly over country" have. There just happens to be numerous large urban areas here and we know what they suffer from. And urban areas in other parts of the country have the same problems and lean liberal just like here.

btroj
02-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Sadly you are at the whims of the big cities, the cesspools that they are.

Our biggest city isn't but 400 K and we think it is too big!

Cag40Navy
02-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Damn straight.

I keep writing letters to Mossberg, Colt and Smith & Wesson informing that so long as they remain rooted in enemy territory, neither myself nor anyone in my family will ever purchase a new product from them.

When Beretta gets set up and operational in Tennessee, I'll be buying my wife and both grown daughters Beretta firearms just to make a point and support the move.

Likewise, I'll buy some Magpul magazines when they get cleared out of Colorado--and I don't even own an AR-15 and have no intention of ever doing so. But I'll buy a few magazines and give them out as birthday and Christmas presents just to show support.

While Google has not always been my friend, it would be your best friend. They have moved out of my state of residences to build in Wyoming & lead their company in Texas.

While I understand all this is happening, sometimes I have to ask.... When do we stand and fight? This liberalism, anti-2A sentiment will only keep spreading. Look at what happened in Colorado and other surprising places. It will only be a matter of time before they start hitting other states. We can either keep running only to help in the spread of this disease or we can stand and fight. The choice is ours.
(Had to get that out of my system.)

Lefty Red
02-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Wow, that escalated quickly, from Remington moving to gay marriage and the Founding Fathers. All in four pages.

Hickok
02-16-2014, 02:39 PM
The South may win the war yet.Yankees 1, Confederates 0, Half-time.

Uncle R.
02-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Yankees 1, Confederates 0, Half-time.

:bigsmyl2:

Lefty Red
02-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Lefty that would put dozens of gun righters out of work. You would be taking one of there staple subjects away. "How to make your Remington shoot better." Next you will want to take away comparing the 38 spl to the 9mm.
Bill

What was I thinking! :)
Thanks for setting me straight Bill! :)

Lefty Red
02-16-2014, 02:51 PM

Not too worried. All the inbreds have to get together and figure out which religion to follow first.

Recluse
02-16-2014, 02:57 PM
While I understand all this is happening, sometimes I have to ask.... When do we stand and fight? This liberalism, anti-2A sentiment will only keep spreading. Look at what happened in Colorado and other surprising places. It will only be a matter of time before they start hitting other states. We can either keep running only to help in the spread of this disease or we can stand and fight. The choice is ours.

My wife and our family has been standing and fighting since the red/blue map of the 2000 presidential election came out. After the 2008 election red/blue map that was published in 2009, we made it a point--and still do--to not travel to blue states. When we fly, blue states are "fly-over" states--we will not land and refuel or stay there or otherwise spend one red cent in them.

Whenever at all possible, we try to make sure that money spent does not find its way back into those states. It is not always possible, but you'd be surprised at how much "Google IS my friend" and how we use to to research where our money goes.

Our mortgage is held by our local credit union. I negotiated an extra .75% rate point to ensure that it did NOT get sold to a bank or holding company or mortgage broker anywhere, let alone outside of a Texas-owned financial institution.

The next truck we buy will probably be a Toyota--made, for the most part, in San Antonio by Texans. We look for foods in our grocery stores that come from red-state owned businesses. We make financial contributions during elections to Tea Party candidates in red states.

We also never miss an opportunity here at home to invite a blue-state transplant to get the hell out and go back home when they gripe out us ignorant "bubbas" here in Texas and the South.

I salute Remington for fleeing the Empire State. I wish the good Second-Amendment supporting folks in New York could all come with them and replace the damned transplants who think Birmingham should be more like Boston and Dallas more like Detroit and so on.

As far as Remington quality? I've never had a problem with them. My 870 Wingmaster has been the most rock solid reliable shotgun I've ever owned, the 700 .308 is a tack-driver and I might just buy that Remington 1911 model when they get set up and going down in Huntsville.

Recluse
02-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Not too worried. All the inbreds have to get together and figure out which religion to follow first.

Say hi to Frank.

Lefty Red
02-16-2014, 03:04 PM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1616148071/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2WJ5WYMMTMZHO&coliid=I1G0JFTLGKCQRF

Wish i could afford to send some folks this book.

Lefty Red
02-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Say hi to Frank.

Hi Frank

Old Dawg
02-16-2014, 03:35 PM
42 gallons in a barrel of oil. $98 a barrel equals $2.333 a gallon for crude. That is before delivery costs, before business taxes, before refining costs, before distribution costs to dealers, before dealer's mark up, before federal and state fuel taxes (40.7 cents a gallon in PA, one of the highest) and some people believe gas should be selling for $2.25. How can they not be embarrassed? I am. It is ignorant absurd comments like those that have convinced much of the world that we Americans are a lot of ignorant fools, bubbas to the max.

The facts are that in constant dollars the price of gasoline has not increased in 80 years. All the increase is due to general inflation and devaluation of the dollar.

dudel
02-16-2014, 03:36 PM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1616148071/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2WJ5WYMMTMZHO&coliid=I1G0JFTLGKCQRF

Wish i could afford to send some folks this book.

Funny that you should need a book to tell you how to think!

Old Dawg
02-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Why would New York City want to be a separate state? They have the best of both worlds now as politically they control the entire state and its resources. Why would the master want to set his serfs free?

rockrat
02-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Kind of like Denver/Boulder area and the rest of the state. Yup, Magpul is moving to Cheyenne, WY and Texas. Hopefully, this next election, we can get rid of a few more Dems in the house/senate, here in CO and maybe change a few things

jmort
02-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Same thing here in California most of the counties are red, but outnumbered by densely populated blue counties.

Leadmelter
02-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Remington and several other companies are owned by Cerebrus Holding Company. If they are moving from upstate New York, it has to do with taxes, unions and profits. This is the same group that nearly ruined Chrysler. Chrysler is now owned by the Italian Fiat. Others have taken notice of the profits from the shooting community and have bought in.
It is going to be a bumpy ride for a while.
Leadmelter
MI

02-16-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm sure that taxes and unions do play a part in all of this but so do the gun laws

02-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Just like the civil war, one group says it was about slavery, and the other group said it was about taxes

Rustyleee
02-16-2014, 05:19 PM
If you look at the right side of one of the new Remington model 51s it says "Charlotte,NC"

dverna
02-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Does a hillbilly from Michigan qualify as a "bubba"?

Before I became a hillbilly, I was an "evil" corporate exec. So I may be able to shed some light.

First, most companies move because they get a better deal on taxes/energy/grants etc etc.
Second, the line and office workers at the old place are screwed. Manufacturing is not rocket surgery. Plus the grants are tied to employing locals - not transplants. The key design engineers, manufacturing engineers, plant manager, sales/marketing people will be offered a move.

Now, for an opinion. When the SHTF, you can bet it will be rural vs cities. The cities are cesspools of humanity that have little in the way of a self-sufficiency mindset, and 100's of thousands of people in large cities dependent on the government for nearly every aspect of their safety and sustenance. Cities will become "killing fields". Which may be a good thing. A "thinning of the herd" will address many issues.

And the exodus from the cities will not be welcomed in bubba-land.

Just me $.02.

Don Verna

garym1a2
02-16-2014, 05:37 PM
It always about the dollar and control!

Just like the civil war, one group says it was about slavery, and the other group said it was about taxes

02-16-2014, 05:57 PM

Before I became a hillbilly, I was an "evil" corporate exec. So I may be able to shed some light.

First, most companies move because they get a better deal on taxes/energy/grants etc etc.
Second, the line and office workers at the old place are screwed. Manufacturing is not rocket surgery. Plus the grants are tied to employing locals - not transplants. The key design engineers, manufacturing engineers, plant manager, sales/marketing people will be offered a move.

Now, for an opinion. When the SHTF, you can bet it will be rural vs cities. The cities are cesspools of humanity that have little in the way of a self-sufficiency mindset, and 100's of thousands of people in large cities dependent on the government for nearly every aspect of their safety and sustenance. Cities will become "killing fields". Which may be a good thing. A "thinning of the herd" will address many issues.

Just me $.02.

Don Verna

Damn! I kinda like this guy...LOL

uscra112
02-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Remington and several other companies are owned by Cerebrus Holding Company. If they are moving from upstate New York, it has to do with taxes, unions and profits. This is the same group that nearly ruined Chrysler. Chrysler is now owned by the Italian Fiat. Others have taken notice of the profits from the shooting community and have bought in.
It is going to be a bumpy ride for a while.
Leadmelter
MI

It was Daimler Benz that ruined Chrysler. I know, because I was there.

mainiac
02-16-2014, 06:38 PM
Wow, that escalated quickly, from Remington moving to gay marriage and the Founding Fathers. All in four pages.
dont forget the union bashing,,that always comes up as well.

dtknowles
02-16-2014, 06:53 PM

We are fighting but we are not winning. Are you proposing a new tactic (it is fashionable to be tactical). We voice our opinion to lawmakers, we vote, we support gun rights groups, we make public displays of firearms, we teach kids to shoot safely. Is there someplace we need to stand that we are not, some type of fight we are not fighting. I don't shooting someone would make things better.

Tim

dtknowles
02-16-2014, 07:29 PM

Just me $.02.

Don Verna

I was a Hillbilly (Woodchuck for those familiar with that nickname) before I became a corporate exec. I grew up in the hills in Maine, worked on three different farms. I think your portrayal of cities a cesspools is inaccurate. There aren't many rural hospitals that can treat serious illness or injury (cancer, severed limbs, etc.) or rural airports that can provide international travel, millions of freedom loving conservatives live in cities.

How big a spread do I need to have outside the city so I can be welcome in "bubba land", you think? Too late for me, will I get the same cold shoulder (southern hospitality) I got when I moved south. Nice enough to your face but I would not call it welcoming. I have move around a lot and lost my accent so they don't know better anymore.

I find some people still have prejudice against people from New England and against people who have lived in cities. I was born in Springfield, Mass. and I have to put that on that form you fill out when you buy a gun from an FFL. Almost always get a remark down here. I live in Slidell, most country folk would call it a city but it really is just a big town. None of the big cities problems of say New Orleans where I used to work.

I know that a lot of you would say you would be happy without the big cities, and maybe that would be true for those of you on this forum but rural America for the most part would not be happy without the cities they hate. We are not all dependent on the government and a lot of us are as self-sufficient as your typical rural resident.

Just about everyone in Rural America is on the dole, it just isn't as well known. Crop subsidies, federal crop insurance, rural electrification subsidies, subsidies for rural internet, federal education subsidies, alcohol requirements for gasoline. Rural America lives on the backs of the cities, you could not make a living growing crops or cutting lumber for yourselves you need the consumers in the cities to buy your goods so you can make a living.

Tim

Teddy (punchie)
02-16-2014, 07:34 PM
42 gallons in a barrel of oil. $98 a barrel equals $2.333 a gallon for crude. That is before delivery costs, before business taxes, before refining costs, before distribution costs to dealers, before dealer's mark up, before federal and state fuel taxes (40.7 cents a gallon in PA, one of the highest) and some people believe gas should be selling for $2.25. How can they not be embarrassed? I am. It is ignorant absurd comments like those that have convinced much of the world that we Americans are a lot of ignorant fools, bubbas to the max.

The facts are that in constant dollars the price of gasoline has not increased in 80 years. All the increase is due to general inflation and devaluation of the dollar.

Do you think they pay $98.00 ?

Like cattle always always lower at auction.

I never heard of one person I talk to in oil. Person selling the natural gas or oil. For even close to market. Normal was 20-30 % less.

If numbers are right when oil was 143-147 , gas should have been around $4.75.

Not too long ago the market did post gasoline per gallon. Have not seen it for some months, they stopped showing it. Last time I checked there was around .75 added to price of gasoline for tax, shipping and handling. If your right where is the 3.05 gasoline.

2.25 maybe not but 2.58 . Still about $1.00 too high.

How did all the oil company's make record profits not too many years ago ??

When I look at total value of , BP, OXY , EXO, CVX, COP, SUN. None of them were worth more than 30-40 billion. To have EXO return a profit of 26 billion in one quarter , where did that come from? Your and my and everyone else's pockets. Don't fall for all there line of bull. They are the ones that did a huge amount of profit. Did not pass it on to even there stock holders, past around the upper management??

02-17-2014, 04:56 PM
http://yellowhammernews.com/nationalpolitics/remington-arms-moving-1200-jobs-ny-alabama/

02-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Oops...wrong link

02-17-2014, 05:02 PM
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/02/remington_arms_expansion_in_alabama_not_good_for_i lion_plant_union_official.html

uaskme
02-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Ever heard of NASA. Red Stone Arsenal is at Huntsville. About a 1 1/2 hours north of Birmingham. Not much further than that from Nashville and Chattanooga. Remington already has a stuff in NC. Welcome to the South.

tomme boy
02-17-2014, 08:37 PM
There is a article on 6mmbr and it says that they are still going to stay in NY. The ammo plant is staying in Arkansas. Some of the gun production is going to the new plant.

tomme boy
02-17-2014, 08:39 PM
I drove by the plant in Arkansas about 2 years ago. There was about 10 cars at the plant. This was on a Wed. You would think that they would have more people there than that.

phaessler
02-17-2014, 08:52 PM
They didn't win, trust me... They just think "Denial" is a river in Egypt........

MTtimberline
02-17-2014, 09:12 PM
I thought this thread had something to do with Remington.

Teddy (punchie)
02-17-2014, 09:40 PM
lol we all got side tracked and re-tracked

woodbutcher
02-17-2014, 10:20 PM
IIRC:When Cali banned .50 cal weapons,Barret said that they will no longer service even the LE Barret M82`s.Do IIRC about this?Also,They refused to return the rifles that Cali LE agencies
had sent in for service.They had to send a member of the agency to personaly pick it up.Someone please correct me if I`m wrong.Just remember.A firearm only has two enemies.Politicians and rust.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

dudel
02-18-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm sure that taxes and unions do play a part in all of this but so do the gun laws

And the snow. Lousy weather would make me want to move.

dondiego
02-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Snow does not necessarily mean bad weather. A 90 degree day is bad weather to me.

02-18-2014, 10:33 AM
I'd take 90 degrees over snow anyday! I did spend my childhood in FL tho

02-26-2014, 01:40 AM
about 2 weeks ago on one of the conservative news sites there was a story on it the gov and some new York polt made some rotten remarks about they did not need rem. or there 1800 jobs and rem said fine thed take them else where the said they would take any employees with them and pay there moving expences. the gov tried to back track said it was a mistake and tried to back track. but rem said the only mistake was the govs. goolgle it it's still on the net