PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Unbuntu Linix OS?

seagiant
02-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Hi,
Looking at moving from Windows to Unbuntu on an older laptop. Opinions???

Bohica793
02-15-2014, 01:11 PM
It's easy to install, fairly user friendly but it ain't Windows. That's not saying it is better or worse, only different. You will have to relearn some things.

Cmm_3940
02-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Laptops, especially older ones, can be problematical finding linux device drivers. Do your homework. If you can make it work, it will run faster than it did with windows. But different, like bohica793 said. Don't forget to consider other Linux distros as well to find the one that's best for your hardware. Best advice, make a complete backup of the windows install and give it a try. Heck, as cheap as HDDs are getting, you might consider swapping the disk out completely.

pworley1
02-15-2014, 01:49 PM
If your main use is going to be internet, then Ubuntu is a good choice for adding new life to an old laptop. It comes with most common tools and you can add most anything you need from their download area. You can also take a test drive from a cd without making any permanent changes to your current system.

popper
02-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Actually it is Ubuntu. I'd try the thumb drive version first, getting the proper drivers installed. Write down the version #s of drivers that work. You will need a partition on the HDD, the install will make it. Co-PendriveLinux or UsbMint-x. It's all free stuff so don't pay for a distro unless you want a fancy installer. Gnome desktop is neat, KDE works and is smaller. Haven't used it in several years so I don't know the latest versions. You MUST learn the permissions stuff and write down passwords. Forget and you get to do it all over again.

seagiant
02-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Hi,
Thanks fellas, I've got an older laptop and over the years it has slowly but surely picked up malware along the way! I even use anti malware programs and it is still picking up stuff. I hate to see a program appear all of a sudden on the computer that I know nothing of?

I feel I am computer savvy enough to go to a better more advanced style of OS and stay more in control! There are people out there that hate Bill Gates and Windows, to make it rough!

Would you use 13.10 or 12.04???

bhl2506
02-15-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm using Ubuntu Linux on my Dell vostro 1000. Only problem I had in 3 years was right after I installed it. A quick question on the forum and was told what to do and have not looked back. Only draw back is there is not as many programs as there are for windows but I have never found that to be problem. I use mine for cad and cam programs and am very satified with it.

Jailer
02-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Running 12.04 dual boot on the laptop and the desktop. Takes a few tweaks to get everything honed in but works great once it's all set up.

andrew375
02-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Yes it works great. The only problem I've found on older machines is that the video hardware cannot support the advanced display features, which you will find implemented in windoze two years later. But don't sweat it as the installer will simply either install a lower version switch off the problematic options. If you are using a machine that is really challenged then install lilubuntu instead; this is the same as current ubuntu but with most of the fat trimmed off. An easy way to get started is to run the os off the installation cd and see how you get on.

SciFiJim
02-15-2014, 08:33 PM
With Microsoft dropping support for XP this spring, it will be necessary to switch to something else. My desktop is too old to run Win7 or Win8. My brain has been running around in circles trying to figure out a solution. Linux will be it, but which flavor and version? One of the things I would recommend to anyone switching to Linux is to have another computer with internet access handy while you do. That way, until you can get online with Linux, you have a way of researching what you need.

You may be able to figuring it out by booting Linux from a CD and then rebooting with Windows when you have to do research. As slow as my computer reboots, that way would take MUCH longer.

seagiant
02-16-2014, 02:49 AM
Hi,
Well, I'm reading that there is a Linix program called "Wine" that will allow Ubuntu to use Windows programs? I like to break down movies,grab the main movie file then convert it and compress to 1 GB! All of this is done with Window programs,but as was said have to learn what is available on the Linux side of things!

Cmm_3940
02-16-2014, 03:01 AM
Based on what I've read, you are far better off using tools that run native under Linux to achieve your goals than trying to run Windows apps under an emulator like wine. It doesn't always work 100% like it should, and is very CPU and memory intensive. There is plenty of stuff that will run under Linux that can do the same things, once you figure out how to use the new tools.

seagiant
02-16-2014, 04:32 AM
Hi,
Thanks! That is good news and I'm ready to put in the time to learn the Ubuntu system! I think once the learning curve is over, I will be better off!

Jailer
02-16-2014, 09:45 AM
It is a bit of a learning curve, but nothing that a quick google search can't solve. With the popularity of Ubuntu you'd be hard pressed to find a problem that someone hasn't already solved.

w5pv
02-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Hi,
Looking at moving from Windows to Unbuntu on an older laptop. Opinions???
Try Linux Mint it is designed for Lap tops.I run it on my desktop.

MtGun44
02-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Device drivers can ruin the whole deal, IME. I really hate it when some
guy says - "Well, why don't you just write a device driver?" I have absolutely
no doubt that a COULD learn to write Linux device drivers, but I also know that
I have ZERO interest in spending that time. I'd much rather run Windows
and Microsoft Security Essentials and not sweat it. Have not had a single
problem with any kind of malware since I started running MSE for free. I
tried Norton (full setup, company paid) and several others, always had
failures. The basic apps that I need to use that are "free and available" and
work "just like Word" or whatever - DON'T work well and crash all the time.

We spent several years at work with Linux machines supported by a pro IT
staff (2500 people, large aerospace mfg division) and it was a PITA and we
finally switched back. Weird failures all the time on basic apps. Stuff like
the equivalent of Windows Explorer to just look at your files - had to try
three of these things before we found one that was "OK". Now, I admit
that we ran a serious shop - lots of high end applications - but they were
NOT the problem, it was all the little stuff, the ordinary day-to-day things
that you want your PC to do that either didn't work at all or were doing
strange stuff.

No doubt some folks, especially doing REALLY ordinary stuff, like running
a browser, have had great success. But don't fall for the idea that it is
all sweetness and light, there are holes you could drive a truck thru
and NOBODY that is in charge of fixing them. If some dope-smoking
teen in Amsterdam or Bangladesh isn't interested in writing a device driver
or particular app that you need - for free and with ZERO quality assurance,
then you won't get it unless you write it yourself.

A lot of times free stuff is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Bill

perotter
02-16-2014, 11:50 AM
How old is the laptop and what do you plan to use it for?

I've used both Linux and Windows for years. My $0.02 is, based on my years as a system software engineer, first a person has to decide what they are going to do with the PC and what their expectations are. All the simple/normal PC things one does LINUX works great.

For example, on older laptops that all I want is to access the Inet, email, or a little word processing I run Puppy Linux. If I want to run the pressure testing software or CNC software that was written for Windows, I run Windows.

In my experience hardware device drivers are more likely to be available for LINUX than for Windows. Like others have said, try the CD or USB method first. You also might want to try a couple of different LINUX before deciding.

I'd never pay what Microsoft wants for an of their software. Windows is a crappy operating system. The only thing that it has

seagiant
02-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Hi,
The laptop is a 7 year old HP and I just use it to store pics and movies and run on the Internet. I have even got malware from a couple of gun sites I frequent? I guess from anti gunners? Just seems like over the years it has collected some **** and has slowed down a bit. I think I will try a dual Ubuntu/Windows 7, type set up just to try it out. I have heard about Mint but Ubuntu has more support?

Thanks for all the info so far and opinions from everyone!!!

Dale in Louisiana
02-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Laptops, especially older ones, can be problematical finding linux device drivers. Do your homework. If you can make it work, it will run faster than it did with windows. But different, like bohica793 said. Don't forget to consider other Linux distros as well to find the one that's best for your hardware. Best advice, make a complete backup of the windows install and give it a try. Heck, as cheap as HDDs are getting, you might consider swapping the disk out completely.

Look into versions of Linux that will run off a CD or DVD or USB Stick. They're all over the place. Using one of those, you can experiment with Linux and see if it's what you want to do.

Cmm is right, too: A replacement hard drive is dirt cheap these days. Replacement is easy on many laptops, a five minute job. And since you're installing Linux, you put the new drive in, boot off the DVD or USB, and load the new system from scratch.

dale in Louisiana
(working on a MacBook Pro, but who USED to do that stuff a lot)

perotter
02-16-2014, 07:45 PM
One thing to consider, if you have the original Windows install CD, is to back up you're pictures and bookmarks. Then format the hard drive and reinstall Windows. I know a few people who do that about every 30 days. Also, a few that do it once a year or bi-annually. I don't do it because of the software I'd have to reinstall.

seagiant
02-17-2014, 03:54 AM
One thing to consider, if you have the original Windows install CD, is to back up you're pictures and bookmarks. Then format the hard drive and reinstall Windows. I know a few people who do that about every 30 days. Also, a few that do it once a year or bi-annually. I don't do it because of the software I'd have to reinstall.

Hi,
Yes that's my point! You pick up so much junk that's probably what you need to do! I'm going to see if I can bear the learning curve and just be done with Mr. Gates! I don't use that many programs anyway. Thanks for the info!

popper
02-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Linux is a clone of unix. Most IT people don't know how to run a linux network and many users want admin privileges. Admittedly, linux biggest problem is the video system - windoze video is integrated into the OS. Linux is free software that distros bundle with an installer/chooser (lilo). Drivers & apps are written & modified by hackers, and some hacks interfere with others. Always use Linux approved (released/tested/proven stable) SW. Linus will allow you to install junk. The DVD/USB method is very difficult to hack the OS, malware will be in ram or HD and can be scrubbed easily (non-persistant).

Cmm_3940
02-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Always use Linux approved (released/tested/proven stable) SW. Linus will allow you to install junk...

The default installation download of every Linux distro I've ever installed has been clearly marked as 'stable'. Yes, the unstable and experimental packages are available if you should so choose, but they aren't going to just sneak into your new installation somehow. There is no central authority who determines just what 'stable' means. It's all relative. Since we are discussing Ubuntu in particular, the stable Ubuntu distro is comprised of the 'experimental' (newest) versions of the Debian distro. According to Ubuntu advocates, this is because the Debian crowd is a bunch of paranoid sissies. According to Debian fans, those Ubuntu kids need to learn a thing or two about what stable means.

what is really best boils down to a Smith vs. Ruger, Ford vs. Chevy, Lyman vs. RCBS, X vs. Y type argument.

As to Linux allowing you to install junk... Linux is based on the assumption that you know what you are doing. For good or bad, it will not question nor hesitate to do exactly what you tell it to. You will never see an "Are you sure? Y/[N]" dialog.

SciFiJim
02-18-2014, 02:39 AM
I am currently working on installing Linux Mint on my desktop. Things are going slowly, but then, an installation of Windows is slow as well. After installing from the DVD, it is updating all of the files. I will report any major difficulties. The desktop originally ran WinXP with 4GB of ram.

seagiant
02-18-2014, 05:01 AM
I am currently working on installing Linux Mint on my desktop. Things are going slowly, but then, an installation of Windows is slow as well. After installing from the DVD, it is updating all of the files. I will report any major difficulties. The desktop originally ran WinXP with 4GB of ram.

Hi Jim,
Thanks! I will be looking for updates on this,and your opinion as you start running it! I can't try Ubuntu till I get home as the service I have here at work (aboard ship) is to slow to download it correctly. I will probably just wipe out Windows as I am so tired of the aggravation and just load Ubuntu 12.04 and run with it awhile!

bhl2506
02-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Hi Jim, I will probably just wipe out Windows as I am so tired of the aggravation and just load Ubuntu 12.04 and run with it awhile!

This what I did for the same reasons you mentioned. As I said in an earlier post I have not looked back. I can find just about everything I need in linux os except for voice to speech. It seems the present apps are not that good but it looks like programers are working on it.

celem
02-18-2014, 07:23 PM
I abandoned windoze about 5 years ago and never looked back. I initially used Ubuntu but after they adopted Apple-like window controls I switched to Mint-xfce, where I remain.

SciFiJim
02-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Linux Mint didn't work for me. It kept hanging up on a black screen and I would have to reboot to get it to do anything. I am currently installing Knoppix to see of that will work. The computer is about 12 years old, so I may have to use one of the versions designed to run on equipment that doesn't have the latest and greatest bells and whistles.

I've downloaded five different flavors of Linux to try. Some of the iso's will fit on a CD and some require a DVD. I'll have to see if one will work where the others didn't.

Some hardware info to go with what I am trying. I disconnected the 80GB HD that has WinXP installed on it and put the 40GB HD that came with the computer back in. I am doing a full install to that HD with each version of Linux that I am trying.

Fortunately, I also have a laptop running Win7 that I can use while my desktop computer is doing other things.

454PB
02-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Like Bill, I have used MSE for years and have been very pleased, but I recently bought a new laptop that runs Windows 8, and MSE doesn't work with it. Why would Microsoft develop a new OS that doesn't use it's own virus protection?

I've played around with various open source OS's including Ubuntu, Puppy Linux, Mint, Peppermint, etc. My old laptop (which was replaced by the one previously mentioned) is about 8 years old and operates on XP. It still functions fine, but with XP support going away in April, I'm going to install one of the Ubuntu versions to keep it alive. I have 5 OS's installed to boot from USB already, so it won't take long to pick one.

Wireless drivers can be challenging with older laptops and Linux distros.

jim147
02-19-2014, 01:21 AM
Try Lubuntu for your older XP boxes and laptops. I run it on a little netbook with an Edubuntu interface for my daughter to play and learn on. I have several versions of Linux running in VM's on my Win7 notebook and even a couple other flavors on some RPi's.

If you have really old wireless adaptors, picking up about any $10-$20 USB adaptor will get you hooked right up.

I've been running some flavor of Debian since I got my first Win95 box. It's always been a stable base to start from.

jim

seagiant
02-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Hi,
Thanks Mike, looking at Ubuntu 12.04 myself! If you try "Wine" soon let us know what you think!!!

mroliver77
02-19-2014, 11:22 AM
I have been running a dual boot system. Win7 and Ubuntu 12.03. I just upgraded to the newer Ubunt and it is working fine. The only problem I have is printing. I need to invest a bit of time one day to figure out the problem. Like bill I don't want to have to learn very much about programming as there are so many other things for me to do.

I have run a couple different Linux OS and have had good results. Some of the people involved in the project are very sharp and very dedicated to a good end product!
J

RogerDat
02-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Look for what is called a "Linux Live" version. Live version is one that can load from USB or CD/DVD that will give you a chance to find any driver issues or incompatibility problems with the basic hardware and OS before picking that version to install. There are several distros specifically for older computers and laptops that use minimum resources and lighter graphic interface. While still being up-to-date on security patches for the OS.

Booting from a live cd and then copying all your personal files to an external drive is a good way to avoid copying virus etc. to the backup if virus has infected your windows OS, then use Windows Defender Offline boot disk to scan your backup.

For email, web surfing, video watching, and digital pictures Linux can be a much better choice for older hardware. Editing digital pictures GIMP is sure not Photoshop but for most digital pictures one does not really need the weight and power of Photoshop. I find support for *nix applicatons to be somewhat on par with windows, possibly a bit more geeky as in edit this config and launch with these parameters as opposed to click this menu and this tab, then check this box.

You might also have someone with a not infected computer download the Windows Defender Offline, essentially a boot disk with anti-virus and anti-malware that runs from the boot CD. This prevents things that have infected your hard disk from using the installed windows to protect themselves. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

If you installed tool bars.... well man that can be painful. You have my sympathy, about half the time I find that ends in backup of personal data and do fresh install of Windows or another OS

seagiant
02-20-2014, 05:08 AM
Hi,
"Or another OS" yea I heard that! Thanks for the info! I'm still wanting to hear from anyone running a Linux system and their thoughts! Thanks!

Jailer
02-20-2014, 04:32 PM
I've been playing around with Linux Mint and Ubuntu 12.04 for a few weeks now. My observations from a somewhat linux newb is that Linux mint has more of the multi meida things working out of the box than Ubuntu. Ubuntu seems to be a bit easier to get things working that aren't out of the box. I also prefer the UI of Ubuntu but that of course is just a personal preference.

So far I've got everything set up so that movies play, Amazon streaming works, my networked printer works, and my shared folders on my home file server are automatically mounted at boot. I've also installed rdesktop and got it configured so I can run my file server remotely from my desktop just like in Windows. The only thing I really need windows for now is Outlook for my work email and for gaming.

seagiant
02-21-2014, 02:43 AM
Hi,
Thanks Jailer,I think I'm going with Ubuntu 12.04 to get my feet wet! There's getting to be to much drama with Windows! I guess it will work all the picture files and converted movies. Work the WEB and I'll be good!

bjklme
02-23-2014, 01:40 PM
I have 5 computers and 4 use ubuntu 12.04 exclusively. If Netflix ever allows linux my htpc will be ubuntu as well. I abandoned Windows in 2008. I got tired of the cost of Windows x number-of-machines, and tired of antivirus software consuming so much of the machine, always updating, and getting viruses anyway. Linux has dna-level immunity to these viruses. Win7 consumes ~50GB of disk space, compared to ubuntu consuming ~7GB. I consider ubuntu to be superior to Win7, I actually prefer using ubuntu, and don't enjoy having to use Win7.

I suggest you try ubuntu 12.04, which is their long term support version. Their LTS versions come out in April of even-numbered years, next should be 14.04. When the time comes you can update to 14.04 from inside 12.04, but I'd wait a couple of months after April before doing that to give them time to get the kinks out. The in-between versions are more experimental.

Two areas to check out immediately are wifi and video, this is where driver issues can impact you the most. That your laptop is old, and an HP, works to your favor. If wifi doesn't work off the live-cd or live-usb that just means the right driver is not part of the cd. But it is likely you can install a working driver. Wired ethernet is native to linux and always works. If you just can't resolve the wifi driver, then get a usb wifi as someone else here suggested... and I suggest edimax. Intel and Nvidia are very supportive of linux, and AMD is coming around. If you get wifi and graphics to work you are home free.

HP printers work well with linux. HP is very supportive of linux.

LibreOffice does practically everything Microsoft Office does.

On ubuntu 12.04 you might encounter difficulty with the unity interface, as it's graphic-processor intense. It has two great features, multiple desktops and window picker (under scale). There will be add-ons you will want to install, like compizconfig settings manager to get control over things and ClassicMenu Indicator to find things. You can also install other desktop managers into ubuntu, like lubuntu desktop if you need to go lightweight for your graphics processor. You then simply choose ubuntu-desktop or lubuntu-desktop at login.

If you hard drive is big enough and you partition it right (use gparted on the ubuntu live-cd), you can dual boot Windows and ubuntu. The ubuntu installer is not hostile toward Windows, and will see it and set it up as a boot option. The reverse is not true, if you you install Windows onto a machine that already has linux the Windows installer will disable linux. Wonderful folks at Microsoft.

I suggest you just commit to installing ubuntu into its own partition, rather than investing much time in playing with the live-cd or live-usb. Then work on getting video and wifi working. You will make incremental progress as you learn how to add things, accumulating results along the way.

Good luck. Be patient, there will be solutions to nearly all problems.

badgeredd
02-24-2014, 11:33 AM
I've used Ubuntu or a derivitive for at least 6 years and played with several distros for several years before that. I am typing this on a Kubuntu machine and have been using this machine for at least 4 years. My wife has used Ubuntu for her machine for at least 8 years. She primarily uses it for email and browsing with a bit of word processing. She will NOT use MS Windows for her machine. She has had way fewer problems with crashes and software issues since switching over to Linux.

I started with Ubuntu more or less exclusively about 6 years ago and switched over to Kubuntu maybe 3 years ago. IMHO, ......one may find the KDE desktop more appropriate for his own uses. I like it better than Gnome, but that is me. I suggest anyone wanting to try/use a Ubuntu or deriviative OS go for a LTS version to work with. Since Ubuntu and its deriviatives have become one of the foremost operating systems, I would suggest one try it first and when one gets more comfortable with Linux, then try some of the other systems out there. I have had far fewer issues with machines that are dedicated to Linux than I have had with dual boot MS Windows/ Linux machines. It seems to me the dual boot machine have problems because of the MS operating systems messing up the Linux system. There is a rather new distro that is a modified Ubuntu system called Zorin. I have it on a machine and it seems to be working very well, but I haven't used it as extensively as I have Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Give it a wirl with a secondary machine if possible...that machine may well become a primary machine quickly.

On Wine........It has gotten better, but still has issues. I have tried several time to get QuickLoad to run on it with no success. I have tried to get some Window games to run thru Wine with very limited success. YMMV.

Edd

gravel
02-24-2014, 09:43 PM
I also suggest trying some live linux CDs, to see which you like, and which works with your hardware. You might find that a live CD is all you need. Some allow customizations to be saved to a usb stick.

try puppy linux, damn small linux, and pclinuxos. and a live ubuntu CD

http://distrowatch.com

backup *everything* important before messing with the machine.

seagiant
02-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Hi,
Well,I managed to download Ubuntu 12.04 and have my computer as a dual boot but I tell you I'm liking this Linux and my wi-fi set up was a snap! I downloaded the movie plug in another easy task and all my movies play no problem. So far I am VERY impressed and having fun!

I'm thankful for all the help and will probably have more questions down the line. I admit I like using something that is free and being involved with a system where people help each other out!!! I have a feeling Mr. Gates will be history soon!

dromia
02-25-2014, 03:49 AM
I've been running Linux Maya Mint for 18 months now on my PC and it is the best thing I ever did. Its far superior to Windows, faster, cleaner, more secure, doesn't have things grinding away in the back ground. The only things I can't run on it are Quickload and my old fax machine copier which is too old for there to be Linux drivers when I get a replacement I am sure it will run just fine on Linux. I use my computer a lot as i run my business from it and Linux gives me everything I need, in fact a lot of the Linux programmes seem to be better and easier than the Microsh!te ones.

I have and old Laptop with windows 7 on it for QL and driving my copier.

I am no computer geek or fan, I have no interest in computing it is just a tool that I need and it wasn't until I moved to Linux that I got the tools that I thought I should have had for all those years.

Loading Maya from a download to disc was doddle, I even partitioned the hard drive to take it.

Best OS I've ever used.

seagiant
02-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Hi,
Never heard of Maya! I'll check it out! I'm assuming after I get familiar with Ubuntu and put most everything I want to keep on the Linix side of the computer, I can delete Windows 7 as my OS and all the malware/junk that's with it? Is this true? Would I have like a new computer malware free at that point? Just wondering? Thanks!

badgeredd
02-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Hi,
Never heard of Maya! I'll check it out! I'm assuming after I get familiar with Ubuntu and put most everything I want to keep on the Linix side of the computer, I can delete Windows 7 as my OS and all the malware/junk that's with it? Is this true? Would I have like a new computer malware free at that point? Just wondering? Thanks!

Be careful because it will depends on how your OS Loader is configured. Linux allows you freedom to do what you want but with that freedom, one can render the machine unusable without re-formatting and installing everything again. Back-up personal data that you want to keep on CDs or DVD if at all possible.

Edd

seagiant
02-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi,
Well I did a WUBI install so to get rid of everything I will just have to do a "new total" install to get rid of windows and company! When I do I will keep everything I want on a external drive! Here is a thread I found! http://askubuntu.com/questions/161335/how-do-i-remove-windows-after-installing-ubuntu-12-04-via-wubi

a.squibload
03-19-2014, 03:24 AM
Between this and the other thread you guys got me to install Ubuntu 12.04
on a desktop, no distro, dual-boot with XP, working fine! Found the network right away,
downloaded pics from my phone, etc.
Tried it first on a laptop, it didn't see the XP so I didn't install. Ran it from the DVD and it worked,
will try Mint or Puppy, maybe Lubuntu on that one.

Only problem I foresee is finding a replacement for Microsoft Streets & Trips
to make route maps, but I can still boot up XP until it becomes unusable.

Danged if I will buy a new version of Windoze anyway.