PDA

View Full Version : .310 Martini Cadet

C1PNR
03-19-2005, 01:39 AM
What moulds seem to work best in this one? And what about the "heeled" boolit thing? Is it necessary, or is there a work around? :?:

I understand the 32-20 brass needs some modification to work in this chamber, too. Is it something I can do? I'm sure it's going to take some looking to find the dies, too.

The one I have is a nice looking BSA with a real nice bore. Looking forward to shooting this alongside my older Navy Arms .22 Hornet Baby Rolling Block. :D

45 2.1
03-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Some cadets will take the 32-20 case as is and some you have to trim cases and thin rims. You'll just have to try it yourself. The RCBS heeled bullet is excellent. In the below link, several pages back, they state that lee made molds and dies for the cadet, but I have never seen them. due to the case and barrel dimensions, you would be better off using the RCBS heeled bullet.For a really good discussion of the Cadet, go here:

http://p223.ezboard.com/fbritishmilitariaforumsfrm12

C1PNR
03-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Some cadets will take the 32-20 case as is and some you have to trim cases and thin rims. You'll just have to try it yourself. The RCBS heeled bullet is excellent. In the below link, several pages back, they state that lee made molds and dies for the cadet, but I have never seen them. due to the case and barrel dimensions, you would be better off using the RCBS heeled bullet.For a really good discussion of the Cadet, go here:

http://p223.ezboard.com/fbritishmilitariaforumsfrm12

Found it! Thanks! Interesting site.

Jumptrap
03-31-2005, 11:15 PM
Let me toss a morsel your way.

My Cadet will swallow 32-20 rims as is but they have to be trimmed to proper length.

Now, I went and read some of the posts on that Brit website. The cadet action is hell for stout and will hold most any load you can cram in it, but it's extraction is VERY weak. If you load very hot loads the flimsy-ass extractor won't yank the swelled case from the chamber and then you're poking a rod down the barrel to knock it out.

I bit the bullet and ordered a CBE (Australian) mould that casts a 130 gr. FN heeled bullet. The mold is brass and is a delight to use, very, very, well made. No, they ain't cheap, cost about a C note to get it here. I also had a friend in Australia get me a set of Simplex .310 Cadet dies, they ain't cheap either. BUT, now I can load proper ammo as easy as I can for the .30-30.

2400 has proven to be the best performer for me. I read what the Brit site said and my response to the supposed 8 grain load as max with a 120 gr. bullet is ********. I didn't start getting uniformity until 10 grains (remember, my bullet is 130 grs. nominal) and I found the sweet spot at 12 grains. I won't bother to tell you how much I crammed under this bullet, but will say that beyond 12 grains, extraction becomes sticky. Your mileage may vary, but for me, I have one load....the only one I need and I am a very happy camper. 12 grs. 2400 under the 130 gr. CBE bullet (unsized) cast from air cooled WW's, in trimmed 32-20 brass and a WW pistol primer. Biggest pain in the ass is loading enough.......I always run out of ammo before the fun stops.

C1PNR
04-01-2005, 03:41 AM
Extraction kind of on the order of the Trap Door Springfield, eh.

Well, I don't know what the bore of mine measures (Brownell's order should be here Monday - with Cerrosafe), so I wont bother asking what yours casts to.

But I may be interested in where you found the CBE mould. I bid on one a while go on Ebay, but didn't win. Another issue to pursue in the near future. :wink:

Jumptrap
04-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Extraction kind of on the order of the Trap Door Springfield, eh.

Well, I don't know what the bore of mine measures (Brownell's order should be here Monday - with Cerrosafe), so I wont bother asking what yours casts to.

But I may be interested in where you found the CBE mould. I bid on one a while go on Ebay, but didn't win. Another issue to pursue in the near future. :wink:

Run a search on Cast Bullet Engineering.

I have never have used Cerrosafe. What I do is fill a case with lead, then plop a pure lead ball or short shank of a bullet in the chamber ahead of the filled case and drop a steel rod down the barrel and hammer out a throat slug. I forget what mine measured. Then I slugged the bore and sent it to a fellow in Virginia.....forget his name too....but can find it....and he is set up to measure 5 groove barrels. My barrel slugs .3178. The bullets cast right at .322 and have one exposed lube groove. I load and then hand lube with Felix. Use a good crimp.

Four Fingers of Death
04-16-2005, 07:27 AM
They are pretty common in Australia as they were issed here to Army cadets in daygone by.

Cast Bullet Engineering is a one man operation owned by Jim Allison who makes a superb product, I have about ten of his moulds. he makes some really obscure stuff.

The Cadet Dies have come down in price lately, I will have a rat through the local gun mags to see who was selling them cheap. Western Firearms in Beverly Hills in Sydney I think (not your B.Hills).

We have a side match using 310s at our militry shoots, but it desn't grab me much. Most guys seem to size at .316 here, if they size at all.

Mick

PS, you can get 310 brass here.