PDA

View Full Version : Cork vs Nitro cards

84B20
02-14-2014, 11:48 PM
I'm getting back into shotgun reloading after about a 25 year hiatus. Back then one could use just about any hull, wad, primer, powder combination safely. Not anymore, however. I was watching a YouTube video where the fellow used cork instead of a Nitro fiber card. I have a number of hole punches, one of which fits a 20 ga. exactly and a bunch of 1/8" and 1/4" cork sheets. Can these be used instead of a Nitro card and will they be as effective? I should clarify, the card will be used as a spacer between a slug or shot inside the wad to raise the slug/shot height for a better crimp.

snuffy
02-15-2014, 01:04 PM
When I read this yesterday, I thought you were trying to use a cork wad for an over-powder wad. The answer to your question is yes inside a plastic shot cup, they work great as an adjuster of load height.

However your statement that you could use any combination of powder or primers with the old card wads, is completely wrong. Load recipes were specific then as they are now. There's a lot of blown up shotguns that were a result of a dummy thinking, "if a little powder is good, more will be better"!

Get a lyman shotshell handbook,(the bible for loading shotshells), there's specific load data for just about everything.

If you need components, then go here;

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

You'll see they have pre-cut cork wads in 12 and 20 gauge just like what you're proposing.

BTW welcome to the CB forum!:grin:

84B20
02-15-2014, 02:34 PM
When I read this yesterday, I thought you were trying to use a cork wad for an over-powder wad. The answer to your question is yes inside a plastic shot cup, they work great as an adjuster of load height.

However your statement that you could use any combination of powder or primers with the old card wads, is completely wrong. Load recipes were specific then as they are now. There's a lot of blown up shotguns that were a result of a dummy thinking, "if a little powder is good, more will be better"!

Get a lyman shotshell handbook,(the bible for loading shotshells), there's specific load data for just about everything.

If you need components, then go here;

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

You'll see they have pre-cut cork wads in 12 and 20 gauge just like what you're proposing.

BTW welcome to the CB forum!:grin:

I may have been exaggerating when I said I could use a combination of just about anything back then. I do have a Lyman's 2nd addition manual so I did follow the recipes. I was only loading #8 at that time. I now have their current version and follow the recipes exactly.

runfiverun
02-15-2014, 02:42 PM
using the cork to raise the slug will work just fine.
I have used both paper and felt to do this same thing and have seen no real difference from either one, except the felt bent in the bottom of a rounded shot-cup and quite often stayed in place.

woody1
02-15-2014, 03:54 PM
If I understand your question correctly, no the cork will not be as effective at sealing if used over the powder. Used as a filler in a plastic wad/cup combo, yes it will work fine. Used as a filler above a nitro card(s), yes it will work fine. Regards, Woody

84B20
02-15-2014, 04:13 PM
If I understand your question correctly, no the cork will not be as effective at sealing if used over the powder. Used as a filler in a plastic wad/cup combo, yes it will work fine. Used as a filler above a nitro card(s), yes it will work fine. Regards, Woody

Yes, you understand me correctly. I would only use the cork as a replacement for the Nitro card inside the wad as a spacer. I find, however, I do need to slice the Nitro card occasionally because it is sometimes too thick for the load I am using. I'm not sure a thinner cork disk would be stiff enough to hold its shape like the card would though.

snuffy
02-15-2014, 06:26 PM
From your other post here, IF you're going to be casting the lee key type slug, the key is there to "bite" into the base of the shot cup to spin a lee slug inside the wad. But only if used in a rifled barrel. Use of any type of separate wad inside the shotcup would interfere with that rotation being imparted to the slug. In a smooth bore, no problemo!

84B20
02-15-2014, 09:32 PM
From your other post here, IF you're going to be casting the lee key type slug, the key is there to "bite" into the base of the shot cup to spin a lee slug inside the wad. But only if used in a rifled barrel. Use of any type of separate wad inside the shotcup would interfere with that rotation being imparted to the slug. In a smooth bore, no problemo!

I have several smooth bore barrels of different lengths for trap and skeet. I also have a 20" that I will be taking to a gunsmith to add a rifled choke tube some time soon. I found that with 7/8 oz. slugs from Ballistic Products or the ones I cast myself I need a 1/32" spacer in the wad to get a good crimp. It is difficult to find a card that thin . I have some overshot cards on order and if they are 1/32" in thickness they should work. This is only for a Foicchi hull, Driver #24 wad, Clay powder combo.

woody1
02-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Try going here --> Casting for Shotguns and post your question. Regards, Woody

84B20
02-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Try going here --> Casting for Shotguns and post your question. Regards, Woody

Since I'm in no hurry to load more slugs and since I have the overshot cards due to be delivered on Tuesday I'll just wait to measure them myself. If they are too thick I'll pursue other options, like using a different hull, powder (when available) and wad combo. I have pleanty of AA, Federal Gold and Remington Nitro hulls and the wads to go with them. All I need the correct powder.[smilie=b: