PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M die questions.

bgokk
02-14-2014, 08:00 PM
I am planning to buy some Lyman M dies. I have read somewhere on CB that the dies have 2 different body lengths. Is it possible to buy 1 of each length and then just get the size expander needed to cover other calibers that fit that length body?

I know that would require disassembly and replacing the expander with the correct one for the caliber to be loaded. That’s not a problem as I load all rifle rounds on a single stage press.

The rifle calibers that I need them for are .22hornet, .22Khornet, .223, 7.62x39, .30/30, .30/06, .45/70.

Are the M die bodies for handgun calibers the same as the ones for the rifles?

The handguns I load for are 9MM Luger, .38 Spl., .357 Mag., .41 Mag., .44 Mag., .45ACP, .45 Colt.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne S
02-14-2014, 08:13 PM
IMHO, you will better served ordering what you want from from "Buck Shot" a member here and a maker of EXCELLENT M die plugs, sizing dies, ect. Lyman , makes their rifle expander plugs to small and they don't put any bell to aid in bullet seating.
As to your pistol cases, all the dies for the cases you mention come with expander plugs.

Alan in Vermont
02-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Yes, the two die body lengths cover everything. As far as I know there is no difference in the bodies, other than length, for the handgun calibers. They are all based on the short body.

I have only two bodies but several expander plugs. In my experience the plugs are not all optimum sizes for use with cast boolits.

Wayne Smith
02-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Yes two dies. One long, one short. You have to call and order the inserts, they are not listed in the catalog or on the website at Lyman. They have inserts for both cast boolits and condom boolits for most if not all the calibers they support.

brassrat
02-14-2014, 08:48 PM
They seem to have two die body sizes but the plugs seem too short to work with pistols with either one. I am really puzzled. I had a 2nd long body and hacked an inch off. Much better, but I still use little washers to move the plug a little. Their website sucks for info.

ps I love them and like the expansion and really don't flair in the normal way anymore. I use for all type bullets.

bgokk
02-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks all! I guess it's time to jump in. That's a chilling thought even after a light rain off and on all day there is still snow on the ground and the lake is still froze over.[smilie=w:

C.F.Plinker
02-15-2014, 12:47 AM
There are also two lengths of the stem that the plugs screw into. One is 1-3/4 inches long and the other is 2-5/8 inches long. A 45 ACP M-die assembly should have the short body and a long stem. The 30-06 assembly would have the long body with the short stem. By mixing and matching these along with the correct plug(s) you will be able to handle all of the cartridges you listed.

The down side in doing this is that you will always need to adjust the stem position every time you set up to load a different cartridge. Many of us wind up with separate M-dies for the cartridges we load most often.

bgokk
02-15-2014, 02:06 AM
There are also two lengths of the stem that the plugs screw into. One is 1-3/4 inches long and the other is 2-5/8 inches long. A 45 ACP M-die assembly should have the short body and a long stem. The 30-06 assembly would have the long body with the short stem. By mixing and matching these along with the correct plug(s) you will be able to handle all of the cartridges you listed.

Just thinking (:groner:) if you have the short body and both long and short stems is it possible to install the plug needed for various calibers and make the needed adjustment with the die body in the press? ie:back the die body out for long cases and screw it in for short ones.:veryconfu

cheese1566
02-15-2014, 10:30 AM
i emailed Lyman a month or so ago about individual plugs. They stated just the plugs are $6.50 each plus shipping. I never asked if they were in stock at the moment.

44man
02-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Some calibers need case tension and the "M" die will ruin it.
To buy one for every caliber will turn you into a crazy person trying to make all shoot.
It is just not a solution to anything.

C.F.Plinker
02-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Just thinking (:groner:) if you have the short body and both long and short stems is it possible to install the plug needed for various calibers and make the needed adjustment with the die body in the press? ie:back the die body out for long cases and screw it in for short ones.:veryconfu

That works for a lot of people. You will need to move the the short die up just over a half an inch for the 45-70. Whether or not you can do it will depend on the size of the window in your press, how long the threaded area in the top of the press is, and how secure the die is when moved up that far.

popper
02-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Some calibers need case tension and the "M" die will ruin it.
To buy one for every caliber will turn you into a crazy person trying to make all shoot.
It is just not a solution to anything.
Don't quite understand this comment. So what is the 'correct' device to expand & bell the neck, which is the part that needs neck tension?

44man
02-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Don't quite understand this comment. So what is the 'correct' device to expand & bell the neck, which is the part that needs neck tension?
Revolvers NEED neck tension on a bullet/boolit. You do NOT want to expand too much or make a step in the brass. Some rifles can have a boolit seated by hand but they are mostly BP guns.
The "M" die was for soft boolits so brass did not size the boolit. It has a use in a few things but to say it is needed for all is not good thinking.
You need to try it with each gun and caliber, it is not a cure all and can ruin accuracy as fast.
I class it like a Lee FCD, might work but maybe not.
Lyman is not up to new things. I bought a neck size die for the 45-70 and oversize boolits just fall into the brass.
This is a case where one size all does not fit.

stubert
02-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Have you considered the Lee universal neck expander? $15.00, It will do .22 - .45 cal.

bgokk
02-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Have you considered the Lee universal neck expander? $15.00, It will do .22 - .45 cal.
Got one works pretty good. want to try m die.

45-70 Chevroner
02-15-2014, 06:05 PM
I am all for the Lee universal case neck expander.

jmort
02-15-2014, 06:13 PM
It is a useful die, the Lee Precision Universal Expander, but it is really a "Universal Flaring"die. I am hoping a member will make me an expander to attach to it for .38/.357. As he put it best, it a really useful die body. And expander plug for it around .356 would work well for a .358 boolit.

bgokk
02-15-2014, 06:19 PM
:Bright idea::Bright idea:
It is a useful die, the Lee Precision Universal Expander, but it is really a "Universal Flaring"die. I am hoping a member will make me an expander to attach to it for .38/.357. As he put it best, it a really useful die body. And expander plug for it around .356 would work well for a .358 boolit.
Exactly! It flares but does not help with neck ID (case id for straight walls)
:drinks:

If this member does make you 1 he could make at least 2 or 3 or............:bigsmyl2:

uscra112
02-16-2014, 01:32 AM
Buy two die bodies.

Assuming you have a lathe, buy a few lengths of 9/16-18 all-thread from McMaster Carr. Part #98957A407. Buy some jam nuts, too

Machine your own plugs as you need them. I started doing this because Lyman never has what I need in stock, and backorders, well, forget it. I am done with Lyman.