PDA

View Full Version : For all you tiger hunters

HarryT
02-14-2014, 03:42 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/02/14/in-sugarcane-fields-north-india-farm-laborers-fear-man-eating-tiger-on-prowl/

"Man-eating tiger remains on the prowl..."

The sporting way to dispatch a tiger is to use a camel and a sword although many hunters prefer to hunt over bait while seated in a tree (with a firearm).

Beerd
02-14-2014, 07:50 PM
there's a .62 cal October Country rifle in the Swappin' and Sellin' section that should do.

shredder
02-14-2014, 07:57 PM
If you have read Jim Corbett's books on hunting maneaters in that very area you may not want to try it. Not for the faint of heart, and some of the scariest stories I have ever read.

HarryT
02-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Jim Corbett had an amazing life. Always a hunter, never a killer. The nineteenth/early twentieth centuries were the greatest times for adventure (at least for us Earth bound explorers).

357maximum
02-14-2014, 08:41 PM
All my "Tigers" weigh about 1.5 to 3 lbs...do they count? :mrgreen:

white eagle
02-14-2014, 08:46 PM
that is very interesting
still bad for the villagers
but just a reminder of our place in the food chain

Wolfer
02-14-2014, 09:14 PM
I have Man eaters of Kumaon. I find it extremely interesting. I found it odd that the people just accepted the fact that they could be eaten at any time. I know they were weapon less because of the British but I believe if any of the American Indians had a bear that had killed 400 of their people they would have tracked him down and filled him so full of arrows he couldn't pack them off.
I guess it depends on your tolerance level. Woody

Being a hunter I have a lot of respect for Jim Corbett.

GabbyM
02-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Bill you better figure on solid round ball in that shotgun.

I'm thinking my 30-06 with 220 grain RN. Would love the chance to get out there with those beast.
difficulty is obvious with the cat moving 160 miles in seven weeks. Average of three and a quarter miles per day. Sugar cane fields!

On second thought. Cobra Attack helicopter with all the thermal imaging. Then just go ahead and use the 20mm when we find it.

dragon813gt
02-14-2014, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that area. This is also one time where I would want a large caliber rifle. Dangerous game is one thing. A man eater is a different story all together. Only way I would feel safe is if I was in a tank :laugh:

MUSTANG
02-14-2014, 11:51 PM
In the 1970's I had an influential Korean friend who asked me to help out with a problem in his province. Seems that Tigers living in and around the Korean DMZ (Yes Virginia, there are/were Snow Tigers in the Korean DMZ area) were "Chawing" on the local residents. The plan was for me and his representatives (he had no desire to get near the Tigers) to engage them with a Remington 870 with Odd/Even charges of buck shot and slugs.

One of my few regrets in life was when this adventure was terminated. It seems that the Powers that be/were; had deep concerns that the Northern cousins might misinterpret the actions of the Southern Cousins, should they go on a hunt along the DMZ to stop the local Tigers "Chawing" on the residents, particularly since the Northern Cousins had recently been caught coming into the Southern Cousins backyard.

GabbyM
02-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Tank ? They'll just wait for you to get out to take a daily. I'm sticking with the Huey Cobra.
With the nice toys you can see heat signature where a cat would bed down hours after they left. Then follow the tracks.
Israelis have equipment on some of there's that's just plum star wars. If you placed a single Cobra from an HMLA within twenty square miles of a tiger. I'd guess the job would be done in under an hour but more likely fifteen minutes. Not very sporting for sure. Indian Navy should have enough capability to pull that off also. Suppose they just don't feel like spending the money.

Sure am happy to see the bunny huggers have there tiger population rejuvenated. I'd like to grab up a few of those pansy's to use for bait. They wouldn't get hurt as long as I didn't fall asleep on the trigger.

leftiye
02-15-2014, 07:21 AM
I read Corbett when I was in high school (1960). I remember that he hunted one maneater while he has an abcessed tooth. Another killed a woman carried her off, licked her clean (and naked) and left her. The Indians were very embarrassed at her nakedness. Another Tiger was taken when Corbett turned and looked over his shoulder and saw the tiger crouched and getting ready to attack him. "Slowly I turned," you can imagine eh? Thing probly thought he was harmless (no hurry?), and just watched.

StrawHat
02-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Bill Weddle, with your 308 you would be overgunned. Caldwell used a Savage 99 in 22 Hi Power for tiger. He thought it did fine. Me, something around 475 or a little bigger and double barreled would soothe me.

JSnover
02-15-2014, 10:44 AM
FAL.
I know, it isn't as sporting as a single shot or a double rifle but I'm no professional hunter (unlike the tiger). 19 follow up shots, as fast as I can pull the trigger.

Three44s
02-15-2014, 10:57 AM
I like the Cobra/Thermal imager idea! Can I borrow it for my cougar problem after Gabby M is done with it?

It will have to come down after a while but it can hop over a swamp better than an Abrams tank can and look farther out to boot!

For the ground time on the tiger hunt, I'd recommend the .416 Taylor and good boolits!

Three 44s

birddog
02-15-2014, 11:20 AM
Ya no need to hurry, when you have over 1 billion people you can afford to feed a few out without much concern!
Charlie

leftiye
02-15-2014, 12:19 PM
.50 Beowulf? .458 SOCOM? That's gotta be an **** kicker! On the AR platform (what else), remember that largish magazine? That counts too. I've thought about this for any and all life or death sitchiations,

Pilgrim
02-15-2014, 01:11 PM
I read Corbett when I was in high school (1960). I remember that he hunted one maneater while he has an abcessed tooth. Another killed a woman carried her off, licked her clean (and naked) and left her. The Indians were very embarrassed at her nakedness. Another Tiger was taken when Corbett turned and looked over his shoulder and saw the tiger crouched and getting ready to attack him. "Slowly I turned," you can imagine eh? Thing probly thought he was harmless (no hurry?), and just watched.
Xxxxxxxxxxxx

Corbett killed that tigress with a 7X57, with the rifle held out from his body in one hand. Shot the rifle like a pistol. One shot - one dead tigress. Incredible feat. I can't imagine holding a rifle extended in one hand and shooting it accurately. Corbett was not a big man either. If you haven't read his books, you might think of doing so. Amazing, fascinating stories. FWIW.....Pilgrim

shredder
02-15-2014, 04:07 PM
She was waiting for him behind a large rock outcropping in a small washout and when he slowly turned his head thinking she might be behind him he came face to face. He said her facial expression was like a dog who just saw his master come in the door. Smiling as they locked eyes. She remained motionless as did he. Knowing he was a dead man if he moved, he verrrryyy slowly turned the rifle and shot her. You should read the tale it is incredible. And true.

Pilgrim
02-15-2014, 07:10 PM
How far away? The tiger must of been close? Never read that book.

IIRC she was about 15 -20 feet. Corbett said she looked quite pleased with herself for getting him dead to rights.

silverado
02-16-2014, 10:57 PM
I think my truck would do a pretty good job on a tiger, but I might bring my 12 gauge just in case

dragon813gt
02-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Man Eaters Of Kumaon is available for free download here: https://archive.org/details/maneatersofkumao029903mbp
I plan to start reading it tonight.

CastingFool
02-17-2014, 09:11 AM
If I wanted to read the book (which I have already read once) all I have to do is grab it off my bookshelf. It's right there next to Teddy Roosevelt's book about his hunting trip to Africa.

eljefeoz
02-17-2014, 10:04 AM
This bloke has used a 8x50R on a SMLE platform, using 244gr SN bullets.And he's outdone Corbett.
He didnt have the luxury of a heavy double,just what he was allowed in a country,where import of firearms banned, there's no Sport category for a licence application, only 'Self Defence'.
All military calibers are banned, and a decent ,32 S&W or Colt will go for approx $25000
Some places with terrorist troubles have issued a quota of FIVE rounds of ammo a YEAR,with further controls like the civilian user must return the empties after use to a nearest gun dealer.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.555204237834207.1073741827.281713848516582&type=1

and some more:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-25755104
Man eaters in India, now

Enjoy

waksupi
02-17-2014, 11:52 AM
I started reading Corbett when I was pretty young. He generally used a rather small caliber rifle, or buckshot. Cats aren't hard to kill. Lion hunters around here use .357 mags as much as any other firearm.

Mumblypeg
02-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Tank ? They'll just wait for you to get out to take a daily. I'm sticking with the Huey Cobra.
With the nice toys you can see heat signature where a cat would bed down hours after they left. Then follow the tracks.
Israelis have equipment on some of there's that's just plum star wars. If you placed a single Cobra from an HMLA within twenty square miles of a tiger. I'd guess the job would be done in under an hour but more likely fifteen minutes. Not very sporting for sure. Indian Navy should have enough capability to pull that off also. Suppose they just don't feel like spending the money.

Sure am happy to see the bunny huggers have there tiger population rejuvenated. I'd like to grab up a few of those pansy's to use for bait. They wouldn't get hurt as long as I didn't fall asleep on the trigger.

They are easier to shoot while on the bait.....

StrawHat
02-18-2014, 07:05 AM
The image of someone roping an elephant gave me a good chuckle this morning. Thank you for that.

Bullshop Junior
02-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Id go in after it with my puma 454.

GaryN
02-18-2014, 07:05 PM
We had a guy from Texas up here a few decades ago. He wanted to rope an elk and ride it. I just wrote it off as being ridiculous but I would have paid money to watch him ride one.

swheeler
02-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Here kitty kitty kitty here kitty kitty kitty :)

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-21-2014, 06:30 PM
I would bring my 450/375 Ultra Mag with Swift A-Frame 450gr softs loaded to about 2500fps when I applied for that job...

KYCaster
02-21-2014, 08:06 PM
This guy really needs something with a bit more power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4t0aeTX954

Go away or I'll whack you with this............stick....

Jerry

mannyCA
02-23-2014, 09:23 PM
great video.

Wolfer
02-24-2014, 10:32 PM
Not a very big stick either. You'd be hard put to win a fight with a good crappie with that.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-25-2014, 12:50 AM
Vietnam.....308 works.....especially when fired from an M-60...just saying...[smilie=1::guntootsmiley:

w30wcf
02-25-2014, 11:22 AM
This bloke has used a 8x50R on a SMLE platform, using 244gr SN bullets.And he's outdone Corbett.
He didnt have the luxury of a heavy double,just what he was allowed in a country,where import of firearms banned, there's no Sport category for a licence application, only 'Self Defence'.
All military calibers are banned, and a decent ,32 S&W or Colt will go for approx $25000
Some places with terrorist troubles have issued a quota of FIVE rounds of ammo a YEAR,with further controls like the civilian user must return the empties after use to a nearest gun dealer.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.555204237834207.1073741827.281713848516582&type=1

and some more:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-25755104
Man eaters in India, now

Enjoy

Thank you for the links. I have read and reread all of Corbett's books and found them fascinating. Back in those days there were no electronic means of communication, no automobiles, nor planes, helicopters. Jim hunted on foot and most times, alone, which he preferred.

He said that tigers lose their fear of man and hunt during daylight while leopards never lose their fear of man and hunt after dark.

At the end of his hunting career, Jim said that he was thankful of being able to walk away on his own two feet.

Speaking of leopards, The Panar maneating leopard which operated remotely accounted for more than 400 human kills. Had Jim not had the forsight to have branches of thorns lashed to the trunk of the tree he was sitting in, using a goat for bait, he would have been a victim as well. It was around midnight when the leopard showed up.

http://panarleopard.blogspot.com/

w30wcf

Pilgrim
02-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Pilgrim - IIRC she was about 15 -20 feet. Corbett said she looked quite pleased with herself for getting him dead to rights.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I didn't remember properly, it was about 8 feet. She was one of the Chowgarh tigers. She taught her cub (also a tigress) to kill humans for her. Corbett killed the cub 1st and after that many of those attacked escaped with serious, but not always fatal wounds. They killed an official 64 humans, but those who died of wounds are not counted and the villagers claimed double that number.

HarryT
02-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Tiger hunting video. How many rifles do you recognize?

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/02/28/india-tiger-hunt-udas-pkg.cnn.html

OBXPilgrim
02-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Not a very big stick either. You'd be hard put to win a fight with a good crappie with that.

It did look like his stick was pretty sharp

fattires
03-05-2014, 01:58 PM
I just finished Man Eaters Of Kumaon, no way I'm hunting a man eater. Some incredible stories in that book.

popper
03-06-2014, 12:07 PM
As a kid I read stories about man eating lions and hunting them. Don't remember the ones about tigers. Seems like there is a good one on the leopards. Then there are the embellished hunter mag stories.