PDA

View Full Version : Welcome aboard to all new members

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

45nut
12-16-2007, 07:18 AM
I hope we can make your membership worthwhile. :coffeecom:

45nut
12-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Hey cas! welcome aboard... we have a few threads you might be interested in.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/search.php?searchid=401901

jawjaboy
12-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Welcome cas! Drag up a chair 'n set a spell.

sharps_74
01-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey cas! welcome aboard... we have a few threads you might be interested in.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/search.php?searchid=401901

I clicked it and all I get is:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Rodfac
11-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Great site guys, thanks for letting me participate. Regards Rodfac

DoubleBarrel
11-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi Everyone! This is THE site I've been looking for. Lots of great topics and info here. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you! DB

snaggdit
12-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Wow, happy to find this site and all the good information. I finally cast my first boolits last week. 170gr .401 (40 S&W) TC Lee mold. After all my reading on this site, it went flawlessly. Well almost...had to toss some back in, but got into the rhythm. Cast another 300 several days later and had good boolits from the start. Probably 98% good! Now I am going to buy a .356 and .452 mold!

3rptr
02-12-2009, 12:09 AM
I can't figure who cas might be but I'm glad to have found CastBoolits.
Lotsa great info.

Hopefully one day I can contribute.

Thanks
3rptr

papalobster
02-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Newbie here, first post and all, I figure I'd throw a post in while I'm reading and digesting info.

I've been reloading for 15 or so years, mostly because of the poor choices available for my T/C Contender in 7x30 Waters. Started shooting a 44 mag a while back and now have a SBH Hunter. Also have a Taurus 357 7 shooter in Ti. My rifles so far digest factory ammo, but plans include load development in the near future, I just don't shoot them very much.

I used to purchase CB's from Laser cast, but with the cost of them + shipping, I thought I'd give casting a try. I picked up mostly Lee stuff seeing as how they're only 30 miles away. I'm going to start with the 44 as it's the easiest to load for and probably the strongest handgun I have. More forgiving and all.

Well, back to reading, going to try to have all my ducks in a row before I get started. I'll contribute if I can, question when I can't!

Oh yeah, nice place you got here. Just reading through lots of stuff and I can see lots of respect and some pretty well informed individuals.

dromia
02-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Newbie here, first post and all, I figure I'd throw a post in while I'm reading and digesting info.

I've been reloading for 15 or so years, mostly because of the poor choices available for my T/C Contender in 7x30 Waters. Started shooting a 44 mag a while back and now have a SBH Hunter. Also have a Taurus 357 7 shooter in Ti. My rifles so far digest factory ammo, but plans include load development in the near future, I just don't shoot them very much.

I used to purchase CB's from Laser cast, but with the cost of them + shipping, I thought I'd give casting a try. I picked up mostly Lee stuff seeing as how they're only 30 miles away. I'm going to start with the 44 as it's the easiest to load for and probably the strongest handgun I have. More forgiving and all.

Well, back to reading, going to try to have all my ducks in a row before I get started. I'll contribute if I can, question when I can't!

Oh yeah, nice place you got here. Just reading through lots of stuff and I can see lots of respect and some pretty well informed individuals.

Thank you and welcome to Cast Boolits. :mrgreen::drinks::mrgreen:

Sam Johnson
02-16-2009, 03:21 PM
New man here and glad to be a member. I have been casting boolits for a long time but have much to learn and it looks like the right place.

gerrycan
02-16-2009, 08:26 PM
another new casting addict here. can only post replies so far.Gerry in Aus.

ozzy1038
02-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I've been lurking for awhile and have learned a lot. I just started casting last week and am addicted. I love making stuff, and to be able to take one thing and turn it into another is awesome! Especially when you calculate the savings. I must have more lead!!! The 350# I have is not nearly enough. :-D

ButchPrice
02-28-2009, 06:23 AM
New to the forum, new to casting, admitting my ignorance, and looking for guidance.:coffeecom

Ron
02-28-2009, 06:39 AM
G'day Butch and welcome to Castboolits. There is plenty of info here and we welcome questions so don't be backward in coming forward, ask away.

captaint
03-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Another new kid! Yesterday, I finally did it. Got out all my stuff, plugged in the Pro Melt and broke in the new Lee .45 mold.. At first I think my pot temp was too low - got a lot of wrinkled noses. So I cranked her up to about 850 ( on the dial anyway) and things got a little better. Poured 200gr SWC's. The first 50, I was looking for good ones to pick out. The last 50 I was picking out bad ones. All in all, I got 40 good bullets. Had a great time & can't wait to do it again. I'm amazed at how shiny they are! Mike

Hunter 24095
03-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Hello all. I'm new to casting just trying to gain some info on how it's done and what I need to purchase to get started. Thanks in advance for the great reading and info I have found so far.

les265
03-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Hello and Thanks. I have been lurking for about a month or two learning as much as possible. I picked up some equipment in that time and cast my first bullets. I am now to the point that I have more specific questions as opposed to the general ones that I was able to find by doing a search. I look forward to learning as much as I can about casting boolits and perhaps in time I can contribute with my knowledge. I have to admit that the quest for lead has gotten me.

mr maricopa
03-27-2009, 04:24 PM
New to this site, Hope to get back into casting. I been pulling a lot of stuff off the archives.I been going over it to find all the helpful ideas I can.

poisonivie
04-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Ok, I been lurking long enough. Just signed up. Been soaking up the info for awhile and am impressed w/ all the knowledge. The glublits thread is interesting. Thanks for the invite.

Beowulfscot
04-19-2009, 06:57 PM
New member , never cast before. looking to cast for 45acp,454casull,44mag,357mag.50 Beowulf and 50 roundball. Have 5 gal. bucket of wheelweights cast into ingots and a 35lb block of pure lead. Where do I start?Don"t mind investing in equiptment but like to spend my money once. any advice would be great .Thanks in advance.
Scot

BigSky4me
04-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Yet another new guy on this forum. I've been lurker for sometime, time now to sign up and participate.

I've been shooting off and on (mostly off, unfortunately :() since I was about 10, been loading bullets and boolits for about 5 years, and casting for a couple of weeks.

I'll join the chorus and say what a great amount of practical information is on this site, provided by a bunch of really nice folks.

sharps 4570
04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi new to board looks great lots of info thanks sharps 4570

testhop
04-22-2009, 05:26 PM
beowulf keep the pure for b.p..ww is ok for the others.
and like you i to like to buy quialty onceand pass on junk.
oh welcome aboard

earonthief
05-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Just sayin' thanks for such a friendly and informative form. Learned a great deal while lurking.

wrcook
05-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Greetings all

new to the board but not new to casting. I began casting over 30 years ago, and learned everything the hard way. Just in the past few weeks on this board I have learned a lot from the collective wisdom. Thanks guys
Bill C

waksupi
05-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Welcome aboard.

That's how it always happens. People arrive bumfuzzled, and before they know it, they are all twitterpated!

Old Dog
05-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Just registered. (no kidding)

I started casting back in the early '80's (handgun only). Lee molds. 155 grn. LSWC in .38/357 that were never worth shooting in my revolvers for some reason and 225 gn. LRN in my .45 ACP that would shoot with (or better) than any jacketed ammo I ever shot in that Combat Commander.

Stopped casting when I moved to VA and stopped shooting/hunting.

Starting to get back into reloading and shooting now and getting ready to reload with some cast bullets for my old US Enfield (as a start, maybe the Garand later) for the first time. If it works out (purchased rifle bullets at first) I'll start casting my own.

Looking forward to learning a lot here about loading cast bullets for the old 30.06. I do a lot of 25 meter firing and I got a thing for US Enfields and Garands so cast bullets should just the ticket.

TRguy
06-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Checking in from Concord NC

I reload, 45/70, 5.56, 243, 308, 38/357, 9mm, 45ACP

I don't cast but mainly reload cast bullets currently. Magnus and Berry

BILLYBOB44
06-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi, new to this forum. Have RCBS Mouldmaster furnace and a few moulds that I need to knock the dust off of. With the price of all components on the rise, it makes sense for me to get back into casting. Thanks for having me+looking foward to a lot of good info!!:-D:-D

curiousgeorge
06-09-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm another newcomer to this site. This was tagged as my favorite after the first 15 minutes of reading. Great info, great topics. A lot respect among postings even when they disagree. I have been casting and reloading for rifle & pistol for over 30 years and am looking forward to the "golden nuggets" of info from the masters.

Down South
06-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Welcome aboard to all of the new guys. I hope that you find as much enjoyment as I do here. If it’s casting you want to know about, then you came to the right place.

358wcf
06-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Pretty much a new member of the list, here- Gotta say what a privilege it is to share ideas and thoughts with such experienced boolit casters.
Wish there was a list of commonly used abbreviations (acronyms) so us new guys can figure out the shorthand- it took me weeks to figure out PM= private msg, gb= group buy, etc-- How Bout It, guys?
I started reloading in Alaska in 1974, casting boolits about 1976-- lots of primers and powder later, we're still at it, and always learning from wise folks like you-
Keep up the great work guys- we need each other!

358wcf
Concord, CA

06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
New comer here as well. I'm really looking forward to all the knowledge that I can gather here and hope to teach my friends after I learn. Like I did with reloading. I've aleaft learner much thank you guys for that.

Calamity Jake
06-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Wish there was a list of commonly used abbreviations (acronyms) so us new guys can figure out the shorthand- it took me weeks to figure out PM= private msg, gb= group buy, etc-- How Bout It, guys?

358wcf
Concord, CA

I beleave there is just such wish somewhere in a sticky. You might try doing a surch.

Sonic Sammy
06-28-2009, 12:55 AM
New guy checking in. Anyone from Las Vegas ??
Looking to cast for 45acp,45LC,460 S&W

dromia
06-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits Sonic! :-D:drinks::-D

PatMarlin
06-28-2009, 02:54 AM
New guy checking in. Anyone from Las Vegas ??
Looking to cast for 45acp,45LC,460 S&W

Welcome to cast boolit heaven Sammy! ..:drinks:

I think member here "DUKENUKEM" would be your man in Vegas.

TomcatPC
07-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Hello

This is my first post here. I have seen this forum before and decided to join tonight.
As of now, I do not cast my own bullets. Living in an apartment in Toledo is not the best place for that, but in due time odds are I will start. I have however, recently switched to loading cast bullets instead of the ball/jacketed bullets, due to cost.

I am fairly new to reloading in general, and will have many questions I'm sure. As of now I load for .38 S&W Special, .380"/200 (aka .38 S&W) and the .303" rifle cartridge used by the British/ British Empire. In the distant (not too distant I hope) I plan to reload the .577"/.450" cartridge for the Martini-Henry Rifle.

As for my screen name "TomcatPC", I was a Plane Captain (aka "Crew Chief" NOT a pilot/aircrew) for F-14A Tomcats in VF-302 Fighting Stallions when I Served in the U.S. Navy. That is it for now.
Thank you
Mark

Woody
07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Sure am glad I found this site. I've been casting on and off for about 25 yrs. Am thinking that it might be the only way to get bullets in the future. I recently started shooting alot of lever actions with the 35 rem, 45-70 and 30-30 being ones I really want to cast for. I also cast for .358 win, and revolver rounds. Want to get a .357 mag or .357 max barrel for my old contender, and try some cast in that too. So many guns, so little time. 45 Nut was very kind to me right after I joined the site, and want to say that he's a stand-up guy.
Woody

NewGuy
07-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Hello everyone. I am NewGuy, the latest new guy. I know the name is not very creative, but what the heck. Great site! I've been lurking for a while now just soaking in the info. Not reloading or casting yet, but I have been picking up supplies and lead here and there in preparation. I'm sure I will be back many times for guidance. Any casters in the Eau Claire, WI area?

leadchunker
07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
New to the board on the eastern part of NC. Name says it all. I fish and shoot hence the name.

leadchunker
07-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Anybody in eastern NC casting. I just started myself and can always learn new things.

tarheelshooter
07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
*** from central NC.Been lurking for quite a while but decided to join so I can ask questions.:confused:
I've been reloading for about 5 years and starting to get lead lust.
Since I work as an automotive technician,I have my pick of the wheelweights from work.(3 stores to be exact)
Already smelted about 500 lbs of WW ingots,now i just need to figure out the hard part.Looking forward to learning any tips,techniques that you guys can throw my way.

nascarkent
08-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Been lurking on and off for the past year, Been gathering up the needed tools of the trade. Picked up 200 pounds of WWts, smelted them down into muffin tins.
Still lacking the boolit molds, butt we'll get there.:drinks:

cascadehunter
08-13-2009, 10:43 PM
I hope we can make your membership worthwhile. :coffeecom:

Thanks for the welcome! This looks like a good site, with my kind of people on-board.

I hope that I can contribute to the forum. B. in SW Oreegun.

PatMarlin
08-14-2009, 10:37 AM
NewGuy, leadchunker, tarheelshooter, nascarkent, cascadehunter... Welcome to cast boolit heaven! ..:drinks:

This forum is growing by leeps and bounds, and is the best on the net by far.

Cascadehunter- I hear there's elks in your neighborhood. We have a fixer upper house in HappyCamp, bit south of Obrian. It's gonna turn into a dumper if I don't get to fixin' more soon. I sure do want to get up there and do some hunting.

Noxi0uS
08-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Hello all, I have been lurking for a while so I figured I better join up. I am new to casting and this was a jewel to find, lots of awesome info. Looking to start up here within the next few, just gotta find wheel weights.

kostner
08-23-2009, 03:19 PM
*** here enjoying your site and hope to learn more about casting. Have been reloading for years and still have not figured out if I shoot to reload or reload to shoot. Enjoy both and having fun with the casting. So far have cast 303 British and 3006 for my Remington 700 and 3030 for the Winchester. Being a big fan of Skeeter Skelton has wanted to start casting since the 70's. Jim

johnny356ER
08-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Just wanted to say hello!
New guy here...aka 45-70justbecause on MarlinOwners.
Been casting for a few years...lately casting alot with Ranch dog's
25,35,&45 cal moulds. Looks like a great site!

thanks,
johnny

use enough gun
08-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Another new guy checking in. I've been shooting for about 40 years, if it goes bang I like it. I shoot smallbore 4-position indoor in the winter and everything from .22 rimfire to 45/120 in the summer. My latest toy is a BFR in 45/70, I've been using a ranchdog .460 dia., 350grn bullet and it shoots better than I can hold. Dave

PatMarlin
08-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Welcome Dave to cast boolit heaven! ..:drinks:

I got that RD 350 but never cast with it yet. Sorry excuse I know. Been wanting to launch it out of my trapdoor.

PatMarlin
08-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Can't keep up with all the new recruits... Dang! Welcome ..:mrgreen:

Morrison Machine Shop
08-26-2009, 03:51 PM
New guy here, wonderful source of information from folks who know what they are doing.

PatMarlin
08-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Welcome Mr. Morrison.

Do you happen to know G-code? ...:mrgreen:

Rex
09-09-2009, 10:08 PM
New old man here. Have been reading this forum for a while and you all seem like real nice folks. Thanks for letting me in.
Rex

Fire_Medic
09-10-2009, 01:26 PM
New guy here from down in South, FL. Not new to shooting but been reloading since about January and been shooting lead a while, now looking into making my own Boolits! :mrgreen:

Hope to learn how to do things right around here. Right now I'm shooting 9mm, and soon to be .357 SIG, will be adding 10mm and 45 ACP not long down the road.

:-D

Rhoa4396
09-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi guys,

I'm another new guy to the forum. Not new to shooting nor to reloading, but new to the idea of casting. I've been looking over the site and there's so much to see. I've already added my name to a GB (if I did it right) for a .41 mold and see two more GB's that are over I would have liked to be a part of ... oh well ... we'll see what the future brings.

I have one mold on the way from someone else but will need to find "everything" to set myself up for casting... including a whole new set of excusses for my better half as to 'why' I 'need' new toys.

I appreciate any imput and help whever I can find it.

Ken
======

slowlead
09-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Just want to introduce myself. I've been making and shooting cast bullets since 1971. Thats when I realized i could load accurate lead bullet 45-70's for a Trap door for 3 Cents each, as opposed to buying jacketed rounds that cost dollars and would wear the soft iron barrell out. I still have that Trap door and it still shoots accurately. I've also aquired 4 dozen well used bullet moulds in assorted pistol and rifle calibers over the years. I just discovered this site and i'm amazed at the cumaltive knowledge and expertise thats presented here. Tom

GRid.1569
09-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah I've been a long time lurker... and I've learned a lot just readin' posts...

This site is definately the primary source for all things casting...

I've posted more here in 6 hours (and received worthwhile replies ) than any other forum in years... Hey Really... I can't overstate that...

Thank You all for being here... if I could provide back just 50 % of what I've already had... I'd be havin' a bargain...

BIG THUMBS UP to Cast Boolits.com and it's members....

Chris

hadsirsli
10-08-2009, 03:03 AM
Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.

Xcaliber
10-12-2009, 11:46 AM
[smilie=s:Hello, just want to say hi ! and hope to meet new friends . Have been asking about the FREECHEX tool and was interested in it . Been reading some of the replys to some questions and have not read all but enough to ask my own here. For now... glad to be on and hope to be of some service and most of all learn something new along the way. [smilie=s:

SGT Singer
10-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone. I've been pondering getting in to casting my own for, well, quite some time now. Over the last month or so, I've been lurking on this forum, and learning so much valuable information. The more I read, the more I can't wait to get started. The hitch is that I've still got another 3+ months left on my current deployment overseas, so I'm just going to have to wait. The good news is that I've got a lot of time to dedicate to research before I smelt my first batch of WWs.

I finally decided on two molds to start with- a 240 gr. RNFP for the .44s, and a 175 gr. truncated cone for the .40. I think I'm just going to keep it simple with those two until I've had time to work out the kinks.

Thanks.

waksupi
10-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi everyone. I've been pondering getting in to casting my own for, well, quite some time now. Over the last month or so, I've been lurking on this forum, and learning so much valuable information. The more I read, the more I can't wait to get started. The hitch is that I've still got another 3+ months left on my current deployment overseas, so I'm just going to have to wait. The good news is that I've got a lot of time to dedicate to research before I smelt my first batch of WWs.

I finally decided on two molds to start with- a 240 gr. RNFP for the .44s, and a 175 gr. truncated cone for the .40. I think I'm just going to keep it simple with those two until I've had time to work out the kinks.

Thanks.

Welcome aboard, and thanks for your service.

We'll leave a wheel weight or two for you. Hurry home!

Wireman134
10-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Started casting Boolits when I got my Blackhawk in 93' when the wild west was young and unpredictable. Now it's getin rather expensive to roll your own. Castin Boolits is the only way get the shootin in these days. A wealth of information here, glad to be onboard the wagon train. :castmine::castmine:

PULSAR
10-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks gang for the chance to join in .Longtime reloader just beginning to get into casting have lots of questions just not sure which ones to start with . I need a good all around bullet design for a 30-06 and 308 . Want to try some reduced loads for small game and ppractice Give me your thought and many thanks

MxdAzn9
11-14-2009, 07:57 PM
What's up everybody,

New reloader here as of literally last week. Phat Man Mike suggested I join here for some excellent info, so I did.

:drinks:

The10mmKid
11-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Well Thank You

HELLO from Dayton,OH.

I'm glad I found YOU!!!

Haven't cast a darn thing yet unless you can count ingots?

I had a bunch of indoor range scrap and smelted it down.

After doing some reading, looks like I'll start casting for my 'fotay'. I have a LW barrel for my G22. (You know, undersupported GLOCK chamber and all that)

Also have a 9mm, but I'll get some .40 experience first.

Seems LEE will get me on first base and a seller at the local gunshow carries the full line. Guess I'll try the LLA lube as it will come with the sizing die anyway.

I'm very curious on what I'm against not knowing the 'indoor range' hardness. I was hoping to learn from others whose been down this path, but I see "all indoor ranges are NOT the same"

I'm studying 'Hardness 101', and boy, there is a lot to learn on that subject too.

Thanks folks for having me.

I hope to enlighten and help as much as possible,
'da Kid

yancey
11-27-2009, 01:55 AM
hi folks from north georgia. I have been lurking around for sometime on this site.I wish there was a site like this back twenty years ago when i was into casting. Im starting all over again getting my equipment built back up to get started . By the post i have seen it looks like there is alot of good folks here. If you dont mind i think i will pull up a chair and stay a while.
thanks

Cerberus
11-27-2009, 12:27 PM
I made my way over here from the CBA when looking for a reference on top punches. Retired Navy & current Florida Corrections Officer, glad to be around more casters!!

PatMarlin
11-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Welcome to cast boolit heaven fellas! ..:drinks:

You will not be dissapointed with your membership. We've got the greatest, kindest, folks in the business here... :drinks:

deerstalkerks
11-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Hello everyone been a lurker for sometime now!! I been casting for about 4or5 years, 7br my neighbor got me started. Shoot and hunt with T/C's and wheel guns, love those .41's. Been thing of the idea of a 30x357max for a tender,125 gr.bt maybe around 2100? heck I don't know just sounds good. hope to get to know all of ya thanks Richard..

Cerberus
12-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Another newbie and beginner caster, can't wait to make use of this brain trust.

Wrinkled
12-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Guess this is the place to start....looks like it...
I've been casting for some time and have been aware that this site, though never got fired up enough to sign up...until today...LOL
Think I'll pull up a chair and sit a spell...

Edubya
12-05-2009, 05:37 PM
deerstalkerks, Cerberus, and Wrinkled we're glad to have you aboard. I'm sure that you will learn and share with us what you already know. I'd suggest that you read the "Classics and Stickies" http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 within the first week. You'll see a huge amount of information that has been covered many times over and you will have most any question answered within these great posts.
Welcome aboard!
EW

ka0tqv
12-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Name is Carl (nickname CW)
Been reloading since about 1954. Will be trying swap some 30 cal cast BOOLITS for some 6.5 (.264) BOOLITS as soon as get my 30 days in. Just got 6.5 Jap Model 38 (sporterized) carbine and itching to try it out. Still got the fever I guess. Anyhow, a real interesting website and looking fwd to real good things in the coming year. Everyone have a joyous holiday and try not to eat too much! CW

oldpara
12-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi All,
just returned to casting after a 15yr break. Been cutting new molds like a crazy person.
I hate it when life gets in the way.
Great site

vegplot
12-23-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm new to this forum and I've only recently started casting seriously having dabbled in casting round ball for my Ruger Old Army.

I have several rifles including a Marlin 1984C in .357 calibre with which I shoot competitively in Gallery Rifle disciplines here in the UK.

I recently bought a Lee electric melter, such a boon compared to pot and ladle, as well as a set of Saeco moulds. The moulds produce fabulous quality bullets.

I hope to learn a lot from this forum.

Caster Blaster
12-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Yup, another noob. only made about 400 so far for my 45, 38 and soon my 44 mag. Lot of great knowledge here, I am sure I'll find whatever I need and maybe (doubtful) even be able to contribute, thanks guys

Buckshot
12-24-2009, 12:14 AM
............ka0tqv, oldpara, vegplot, Caster Blaster, a real hearty welcome to you guys and we're all sure pleased to have you aboard. Lots of folks shoot, some even reload, but fewer yet create their own slugs to reload so you all have increased the ranks of the illuminati :-) Wranglers of the humble WW.

...............Buckshot

reloader28
12-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Howdy

First post tho I've been reading here off and on for a couple years. Sounds like a great bunch of guys.

Been reloading for several years and casting almost as long. Had to find a cheap way to shoot alot and that was it.

I havent hunted with any cast boolits yet. Was going to this year but it didnt work out. For now I just enjoy casting and shooting.

I look forward to talking to you all.

PIOBill
01-03-2010, 01:05 AM
I have been checking out the site and decided to jump in today. I have cast boolits in the past but it has been a while.

357shooter
01-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Y'all have done it now! My Lee Pro melter is unboxed and has my very first batch of wheel weights in it. I was able to get 45lbs on the way home from work, although 98% of the places looked at me like I was crazy a few good folks parted with old weights and didn't even want any compensation.

I love to shoot, so reloading was a natural next step. Hitting what I aim at and being able to shoot as much as I do made casting the natural next-next step.

Getting ready to cast 38 cal 148WC and 140 SWC and 45ACP in 200 SWC. All Lee moulds.

Without having spent a good month or 2 digging into this site and watching some youtube videos I'd be stuck an not know what to do.

Thanks for all the valuable info.

Expect a yell for help as soon as I get over my head.

canebreaker
01-11-2010, 09:38 AM
I've been here for a while but have never come to the welcome section.
Now I'm trying to find something that I've seen here.
There is a chart that has each cal. case count per pound.
Can someone send me a link to that thread.

RICKLANDES
01-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Hello. I am new to casting, mostly for .44 cal, .50 cal ( mostly ww's heat treated w/water from a 460F. temp) and Pb RB for BP ML'ers. I have on my agenda to starting casting for a .45-120. Oh, I also cast these wonderful 11/2" 12 oz. balls for the cannon.

I first was exposed to casting by my grandad back in the early 70"s with sinkers we made up from a bunch of old wheel weights and a genuine white gas blow torch. Melting those early weights in a #10 can and pouring with a pair of Vise grips was an education in its own right.

I started into casting bullets last year at the recommendation of my shooting coach as a way to better my muzzleloading shooting. I bought a Lyman mold, a #20 furnace, some Marvelux, a huge piece of lead from Roto and started casting RB's. I liked it...a LOT!

I netted about 250# of ww lead (after fluxing three times and removing all the junk) from a buddy who owns a tire shop. Now I have all these wonderful ingots to make into things that fly well.

I have handloaded for about 30 years for a variety of handguns and rifles. I have built a few BP "Jim Chambers" rifles and pistols as well as a couple of cannons along the way. Basically, if it will go "boom" I will be a happy camper :).

I love hunting, shooting, good handrolled cigars and wine making. I thank you all in advance for your sharing and help and hope I might be able to share back to the group to off set what I hope to learn.

flint45
01-13-2010, 04:43 PM
hello fellow cast boolit shooters I have been ''lurking'' out here for a couple years. I know ? what took so long ? been reloading and casting about 40 years and trying to figure out this computer stuff about two - old dogs new tricks ?started reloading when i was 12saved my pennies and bought a lee loader.mydad thought i was crazy but all he said was dont blow yourself up or burn dowen the house - defernt times. nothing better then shootin your own home made boolits

Old Grump
01-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Been trying to post for about a month but when I tried the message that came back was I had to sign in even though I was signed in and then it didn't accept my sign in. Today is the first time I have been able to post since joining. Don't know what the hiccup was in the site with my posting but I am glad to finally be on board for real and not just as a registered member lurker.

I am rebuilding my reloading bench at this time so reloading and casting won't be done for a few months. What used to take me days to do now takes me weeks to do. Legs don't work to well but shooting arm works just fine thank you.

I shoot year round and live in the sticks. I have a shooting bench built into my front porch in case you wanted to know if I was a serious shooter or not. 12 acres of land and a permanent range built into my back field but I can only get back there during low or no snow days because I don't do snowmobiles.

At any rate I have been enjoying the reads even if I couldn't post an intro or a response.

Irish Bird Dog
01-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Well, just found this site tonight from over on the Handloadersboard.com via reference on one of the forums. Wisconsinite.:smile:....reloader, shooter, hunter. Looks to be a ton of info out here. I'll just look around a bit and try to figure it out. Just a mediocre boolet caster at this point.
Lee 10lb bottom pour, 12 or so molds and Lyman 450 lubrisizer.;)

Arisaka Hunter
02-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Did, not know this sight existed until I was looking for information on Cast Boolit loads for my 6.5mm type 38 Japanese rifle. I think I'm going to enjoy this site.

Thanks

Nuno
02-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum and live in Calgary Alberta.
Great site you got here!!!
Nuno

fryboy
02-11-2010, 09:11 PM
hola !
umm guess i'm new here ...thought i joined long ago until i tried to sign in instead of lurk ...about that time i also figured out the three sites in the header all have different applications lolz (yup now i know :P ) i've always loved shooting and while i cast limited for the longest time i bought more cast than i made ( now i'm learnin' better on that ;) ) i'mma informal sort of person and i'm mostly at another site but i link alot to here cuz u guys write and share sum great stuff ! and i dont see the attitudes that i have seen on a few other nameless sites ,that alone is worthy ! my humble thanx amigos!

wayneb
02-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Hello from middle Ga.I have been casting for rifle,handguns and muzzleloaders
for about 30 yrs.Have visited here regularly and I think joined ;but as usual misplaced my logon info.Joined again the other day and today had to have a new password emailed.I intend to try to stay aroundd this time.
Wayne Byram

olde sarge
02-23-2010, 01:34 PM
After following several threads I decided to join as I was spending a lot of time here and the people generaly seem to be friendly and quick to give advise if asked. Hope to learn more about casting and be able to help later with pertinent info. John

WallyM3
02-23-2010, 06:23 PM
I just joined today. I've been loading since 1973, but never cast a bullet.

Just what I need. Another reason to get more gear.:groner:

JSAND
02-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Hello all, I am a new member, new to reloading and casting (with the exception of running some ball over a camp fire). This is a very interesting site with a wealth of knowledge for all. I have about 2 more months left on this tour in Afghanistan and have ordered all of my reloading and casting equipment already. I can't wait to get home and put it to use. Although I may have to re order some moulds after reading some of the posts on here. I am looking forward to learning a lot from you guys and enjoying the camaraderie that people share in like endeavors. I look forward to the time when I am able to pass on a bit of information that may help someone else out on their journey. Thanks again for taking the time to teach others this wonderful art and skill. John..

togojeff
03-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Been lurking for awhile and enjoying it!lol
I don't cast boolits yet but I do use them.

Jim Sheldon
03-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Total NOOB here - just found this site a couple of days ago when I decided to start casting my own boolits. Been using those cast by others for a while for my 7.62 X 54R Mosin 91/30 and my 8 X 57 98K Mauser. Takes too long to order and receive them so decided I needed another hobby and this was it.

You guys won't hear much from me until I finish digesting all I've read so far. I've been a reloader for many years and I'm also NRA certified as a reloading instructor. I've been teaching monthly reloading classes here in Wichita, KS since last September.

Jim Sheldon
Park City, KS

PatMarlin
03-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Well start crackin' the books and get with it cause there will be a test Friday... :mrgreen:

Welcome to cast boolit heaven! ..:drinks:

P.K.
03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Hello all, new to the casting side of reloading and needed a refrence, found Cast Boolits from a link provided by my dad and here I am. Still reading the wealth of information and the outstanding advice offered.

Chief_10Beers
03-06-2010, 08:21 PM
New guy here from NC. New to reloading and casting. Muddy Creek Sam and Ricky P steered me to this forum. With the info of this forum and Rick P's tutalge, maybe I wont blow my had off!:shock: :lol:....................................

waksupi
03-06-2010, 09:07 PM
New guy here from NC. New to reloading and casting. Muddy Creek Sam and Ricky P steered me to this forum. With the info of this forum and Rick P's tutalge, maybe I wont blow my had off!:shock: :lol:....................................

With Ricky P's help, make sure your insurance is paid up!

Welcome aboard!

elawolf
03-06-2010, 09:28 PM
just got here my self looks interesting. my brother waksupi invited me so if i say anything real stupid blame him. thanks for having me.
i was going to post a picture but you wanted to know the url of my picture. what the hell is a url? i guess i,ll have to find the instruction book agian.

waksupi
03-06-2010, 11:52 PM
just got here my self looks interesting. my brother waksupi invited me so if i say anything real stupid blame him. thanks for having me.
i was going to post a picture but you wanted to know the url of my picture. what the hell is a url? i guess i,ll have to find the instruction book agian.

Well, both of my brothers are members here now. We have you all surrounded! Welcome aboard, Steve.

frankenfab
03-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Hello,

I am new here, hailing from Arkansas. This is a fantastic site! I'm already addicted to casting, I have been doing it 5 or 6 years, primarily for the big bores. I would prefer to shoot a big cast "boolet" more than anything else.

I hope to pick up some tips and learn to make perfect and beautiful boolits as in some of the pictures I see here.

Sparkfly88
03-08-2010, 01:36 AM
Hi there,

I'm new as well:p
New to casting for the most part.

I work at a tire shop again, so free lead when I go to work everyday:smile:

Just got my feet wet casting Minie rounds for my 50 cal flintlock out of sticky weights. Which I understand are pure lead, great for blackpowder shooting.

One problem, the lee mold puts them out at .5015 in my mold, and for the minie to operate like it should, it has to be sized.

Where can I get a sizer for just under .50 cal?

Sorry to make my first post a question[smilie=l:

gunsmoke71
03-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Hello all, I have been a member for a while just never posted. I have been doing alot of reading on the site and I finally ordered some casting equipment last week.
As soon as the big brown truck gets here with my goodies I imagine I will have a lot of questions for you all..........

Dunesman
03-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Howdy. I've known about this site for a while, but just signed up today. By way of introduction...

I cast my first bullets 55 years ago this year. I was poor and it was an economics measure as much as anything. .38/.357 and .44-40 got me started. I got away from it as time went on (and seemed to shrink!). Bought tons of commercial cast stuff when I was shooting comp back in the day.

But recently, with the ammo crunch and "new national leadership" I figgered that rather than buy the over-priced stuff in the marketplace I should get back into casting, and so started reviving what I already had and buying new. I now cast for .45 and .50 muzzleloaders, .308, .38/.357, .44 Spcl and Mag, .45ACP, .45 Colt, 9mm.

I live pretty remotely and my shooting bench is on the front deck, with 800 yards available out front and 1-1/2 miles off one side. No neighbors 'cept critters.

I'm impressed and humbled with the amount of knowledge here and sure hope some of it rubs off! Thanks for letting me in.

P.K.
03-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I live pretty remotely and my shooting bench is on the front deck, with 800 yards available out front and 1-1/2 miles off one side. No neighbors 'cept critters.

Very nice! Welcome aboard!

Scramjet
03-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Glad to have found such a great site. Am new to casting, got first hand experience casting last week and am being being shown sizing and lubing this weekend. As someone had mentioned it is awsome learning how to make something from one product into another at a cost savings.I also will be looking into Lee products since I live only 30 mins away.

QuickDraw
03-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey everyone ! My uncle is a member here, and steered me in the direction of this site. I have been reloading for a few years, and have recently started stockpileing, and smelting lead. I am a Ford mechanic by trade so I have a pretty steady supply of WW for me to keep busy with. I have to say that the amount of knowledge on this board is unreal !! I have been reading as often as I can to learn from you all. The last few weekends I have been scouring the flea markets, and yard sales for my casting equiptment. So far I have collected a few ingot molds, cast iron pans, a turkey fryer, spoons, and some safety gear. I can already tell I am venturing into a new addiction..... Thanks castboolits, I look forward to learning as much as I can !!!

Camach
03-26-2010, 05:24 PM
New here from Neb but have been in KS for the last 4 years for school. Start reloading last summer and I have no regrets except I don't get to do it as often as I'd like to because I'm a poor college student. Found this site yesterday as I got to thinking, "If I like reloading why don't I try out bullet casting."

So here I am, taking in a vast amounts of information from this website and rereading the bullet casting section in my reloading manuals. Hope to begin in a month or so as long as I can find a steady source of lead and if I feel the process can be safetly done on my third story apartment deck.

a.squibload
03-27-2010, 11:28 PM

Well let's hope you don't blow your head off, your pic shows you're a
good-looking guy! :razz:

I'm kinda new here too, great site, keeps me up late just readin'.
The bad side: too many opportunities to spend money I ain't got!
Good stuff though. Learned a LOT already.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-30-2010, 08:23 PM
New to this site. I have never cast bullets before and I don't even know where to start or what to ask. I will read the posts and see if I can figure out a starting point. I have guns, reloading equipment but not the ability to create my own bullets. I am sure I will find the answers around here. Thanks for the site. Charlie

Phillip
04-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Hi, I have been stalking the site for casting info and finally decided to join. The site has a lot of info and has a good community. :D

PatMarlin
04-03-2010, 10:39 AM
You guys will fot right in. Just watch out for that Waksupi guy...

mooney
04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Hey There,

I hail from PA and travel to the great land of Texas for work on a monthly basis. I'm pretty much into shooting SASS with .45 in my guns and rifle. I also shoot an M1 Garand and hope to see if this is a good fit for the M1 as well, but mostly plan to make Cowboy loads.

Signed up for the forum about a year and a half ago, did a bunch of reading here and finally got everything I needed to get started. Then it all sat on my shop shelf for the last 8 months :-(

Well I got tired of storing it all and figured I'd get rid of the lead that's been taking up all that shelf space. Best way to get rid of it seemed to be to melt it into some of these boolits you all keep talking about, LOL.

The SASS black powder shooting bug has bitten me so I figured the most economical way to keep shooting Cowboy and the holy black was to make my own ammunition.

I made my first run at making them yesterday. I separated them into small batches so I could compare my progress. I mad 6 batches of 30 boolits. First batch were pretty jagged and rough, mold was cold i guess. Next batch was smoother, but I had a lot of lead burs on the edges. A few times I guess I didn't have the mold closed tightly and the lead creeped a little. The batches got progressively better looking, from my inexperienced eyes. I'm using the Big Lube Lee molds (from Dick Dastardly Black Power supplies). I kept them for now, because I want to show someone my progress to see if they can give me some advice after seeing what I made. Can I post pics here for review or is that a waste of time or not recommended on this forum?

Looking forward to making some good boolits eventually. after some trial and error.

Thanks for motivating me to "get the lead out" or I mean off the shelf :-)

Mooney

a.squibload
04-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Nobody answered yet so I'll take up the slack (the other guys are out back casting).

As a seasoned member since, well, last month, I would advise you to post a couple pics.
See size limits on the upload window. There are a lot of good casters here, I'm sure
they would give you some pointers.

Anyway you can't be as bad as the guys on Mythbusters, I just watched them casting
minie-balls. They poured the lead in a little bit at a time, then dunked the mould
in water before opening it. Aluminum mould, that is. I'm no expert but I think that
qualifies as abuse?

usa1
04-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Just found this place. I've never done casting before but sure looks like fun. Its ok to point me in the right direction. Did not know their were so many choices.

tadeus
05-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Hi:

I'am new to this forum. Hope to learn a lot from you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmyl2:

casterofboolits
05-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Greetings all! Just found this a couple days ago and joined up the same day.

Been reloading since "68" and casting since "72". Started with a 44 Lachmiller three cavity mold and a 150 grn RCBS 38 two cavity mold. Lubing was done with a lee setup. A 4" dia. aluminum pan about 1/2" deep. Put it onthe stove, melt the lube, stick in the boolits, and let harden. Remove the bullets with a cookie cutter and stick the next batch of boolits in the holes and reheat! Sizing was accomplished by sticking the boolit in a die and then using a punch and a hammer to beat the boolit thru the size die!!! Now I use a Magma Eng. Luber with an MA systems collator that does over 4,000 boolits an hour!

I competed in IPSC for 25 years and started selling boolits to the other guys to pay for my hobby. Had to quit IPSC due to health problems. I still cast and sell boolits for pocket money. SS ain't that great!

This is a great site and I am enjoying reading the posts. Perhaps I can pass on a few tricks of the trade.

Fred

tom threepersons
05-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Been stopp'in by for a number of years. A friend down Arizona way ask me to sign up so here I am. I make my home in the Bear River Country just on the western side of the great divide. Shooting and casting slugs are my interest.[smilie=s:

badgeredd
05-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Been stopp'in by for a number of years. A friend down Arizona way ask me to sign up so here I am. I make my home in the Bear River Country just on the western side of the great divide. Shooting and casting slugs are my interest.[smilie=s:

Welcome...please share your knowledge too.

Edd

copternadley
05-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Welcome to all the members. I'm also new here so welcome me :D

sagacious
05-30-2010, 03:25 AM
Welcome!

woodyubet
06-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Hi guys....an older newbie trying to join in this great forum.....I've been lurking for a little while and enjoyed the things I've read, so I thought I would join in and ask all the usual beginner questions. The first one is did I put this in the right place ?

I would tell you that I have been reloading for at least 30 minutes but I have not put fire to what I believe is lead, yet...it sure squishes easy with the side cutters....but tomorrow is another day....I hope.

Many thanks to Phat Mike for leading me here.

Phat Man Mike
06-15-2010, 10:43 AM
:drinks: howdy Woody 8-) glad to see you made the trip!!! jump on in and enjoy a while!!!:castmine::mrgreen::coffee:

woodyubet
06-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi Mike. Thanks for leading me in this direction...I got a lot of my questions answered just by reading and there is a ton of that to be done....I finally put fire to wheel weight today and I have to admit I was a little shakey not knowing what to expect. All in all it came out just fine useing a skillet and camp stove. Sure is some purty stuff when it's liquid......Thanks for getting me started pardner............woody

singleshot
06-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Hello all! New to the site, but read many-a-post here. Been reloading and casting for about 4 years now, although I've been huntin' & shootin' for about 35. Ok, maybe I'm a slow learner, but I can be taught! Now that I've got the bug, I can't bring myself to shoot factory ammo or jacketed bullets. Is there a cure?

Cannon1
07-24-2010, 10:33 AM
:killingpcNewbie here I just bought a 1874 Sharps 45-90. Going west in 2011 on a buffalo hunt. Does anyone have any idea on cast bullets to use. Right now I have a load worked up with a 500 gr. bullet but I can't get anywhere with the 535 gr postel bullet.:killingpc

Buckshot
07-25-2010, 02:08 AM
:killingpcNewbie here I just bought a 1874 Sharps 45-90. Going west in 2011 on a buffalo hunt. Does anyone have any idea on cast bullets to use. Right now I have a load worked up with a 500 gr. bullet but I can't get anywhere with the 535 gr postel bullet.:killingpc

.................Welcome aboard. A new 45-90 eh, who made it? You planning on shooting black or smokless? Either way there's a forum for both :-) Regardless, when you're working up loads you might want to consider a standing rest to shoot from. Sitting at a bench and absorbing all that recoil can make ya a bit ouchy.

..............Buckshot

Fomdiddle
07-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Hello, noob here and totally lost. I hope I may find my way soon.. Fom

Papa Jack
07-29-2010, 04:06 AM
Hello From NW Orygun, I'm Papa Jack. I have been casting bullets for over 20 years and I have a good stock pile of lead and lead alloys, accumulated over the years of being a Production Maint. Mechanic in a high tech industry that uses these types of metals. (Kinda like the Johnny Cash song about the Cadillac )
I have made a couple different batches of bullet lube, HOCH formula and one or two of my own.
Most of my castings are for .30 caliber rifle, .45 caliber rifle and handgun. .45-70 Sharps, and several other handgun calibers.
I use a LEE production bottom pour pot , molds are LEE, LYMAN,IDEAL, old Winchesters, Hensley.
Sizer is Lyman 450.
I have a considerable amount of 63/37 lead-tin industrial solder, also sheet lead, and some lead sheathed cable (telephone ) and also some Lino Type and WW's.
I am currently in the process of melting some of the 63/37 into useable ingots and also melting down some of my sheet lead, and also the sheathed cable, just to clean up the area and organize. All my newly made ingots are stamped with the lead type ( lead-tin) if known , as I have recently build a new shelf to store and organize my" lead collection".
Thank's for letting me in the door ! "Papa Jack"

PatMarlin
07-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Welcome to cast boolit heaven Papa Jack! ..:drinks:

We been waitin' for ya ..:Fire:

a.squibload
07-30-2010, 03:21 AM
Hello, noob here and totally lost. I hope I may find my way soon.. Fom

If you are here you have found your way!
At first it's too much to get hold of, but take your time, and always ask questions,
that's what I did, they haven't kicked me out yet, and you can't be as annoying as me!:veryconfu

onondaga
08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Hello, I am old to casting and started in 1958 for my first real rifle, a .45 Lancaster Co. Squirrel Rifle flintlock. Now I cast for .223 Rem, 30-30, .308, .458 Win Mag and .500 S&W mag. and .50 BP. Still doing a lot of experimenting with the .458 and have a ball with it.

My name is Gary and I live in Western New York close to the Falls.

RayinNH
08-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Welcome to heaven Gary (hear the harp music):smile:...Ray

Bill*
08-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Welcome Gary

crappiejig
08-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Another new guy here, Only been reloading about a year and just starting a new adventure into casting.I'm hooked! If you folks don't mind, I'm gonna pull up a chair and learn more. This site is very informative.

358 Win
08-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Hello everyone from Northeast Pennsylvania. Been reloading 42 years and casting about 30 years.
Cast for handgun and rifle. Particularly like casting for my rifles. I'm a BIG .35 caliber in all varieties.
I've got 1 350 Mag, 2 Whelens, 3 358's, 3 .35 Remingtons, and 2 357 Mag rifles. Been using the
358 Win for 30 years now. It is a real deer thumper. I like to cook and create recipies for the game I take. Also love the .32 Win Special and have 3 of them also. It has been one of my most
accurate cast bullet calibers and easiest to get excellent accuracy with them. Great to be here.
358 Win

Reddog177
08-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Hello All!
I live in Reno County, Kansas and like to cast bullets!!
Dick

Shyoldman
08-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Hi all! I live in Lincoln,Ne and shoot all lead

stacks04
08-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Hello all, been lurking here for a while learning figured I'd join. Nice site you got here.

a.squibload
08-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Welcome you guys, I still feel like a new guy here but have been treated well.
A ton of info here, ask and (sooner or later) you shall receive!
Caution, habit forming...

coloraydo
08-22-2010, 04:29 AM
Hello all. New to casting, but been reloading goin' on 30 years or so. Very interesting and informative site you have going here. Been lurking for about a year now, trying my hand at this new venture for the last 6 months. Interesting, challenging, rewarding and aggravating, at times, all rolled into one.

frankenfab
08-28-2010, 11:03 PM
I just scrolled to the bottom of the main page and noticed we have a new member named "stinkeybritches".

I like the handle but for me it would have had to have been "stainkybreeches"8-)

coopieclan
08-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi everybody, I am mostly an airgun shooter but I will be owning a single action 1858 Remington Colt conversion revolver by Pietta (and Howel's conversion cylinder) soon.

The natural course in that side of the hobby will be reloading so I am trying to learn about re loading now.

My instructor @ the range says that re loading makes you a better shooter.

Thanks for serving up such a fine forum

a.squibload
08-30-2010, 04:31 AM
Looks good, I think that qualifies as "artillery".

Creekrider
08-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Was lurking and decided to join, been casting for a few years

HelpIminCA
09-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm a new guy as well. Looking to get into casting so I've been lurking for awhile. I have a Springfield .45, A converted Arasaka (30-06), and a Springfield O3A3. Hoping to cast for all of them and welcome any advice on Lymon molds, IMR powder loads and powder type, etc. Thanks for the site and for having me.
Rich

mrwhite
09-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Hey everyone,another new guy.
Never done any casting,but I swage.
Ordered a couple of molds,after reading here,so wish me luck:)
Ok,back to mute,I need to read up here,and learn more.

Sweet
09-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Hello the fire. I am just getting started in casting.

nccrossbow
09-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Hi everyone, I have been reloading & casting since the 60,s but just recently found this site. I hadn,t cast any bullets in the last 10 years until i bought a s&w 9mm pro auto & decided to fire up my pot. I always used lyman molds but bought a lee 6 cavity for this & it has been a learning experiance. I found a lot of help on here, thanks to everyone that posted about these molds. Dan

DesertRat
09-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone. 25 years in the firearms business both as a hobby and (occasionally) professionally. Don't cast bullets as of yet, but I plan to.

willysjeepcj
09-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Howdy y'all from the Republic of Texas.
Been shootin 44yrs, reloadin 30yrs, castin 25yrs.
Found this forum and have learned new tricks (i.e. old dog)!
Great place, great people.
Thanks for lettin me in!

Giver of Doom
09-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Newbie here. Don't cast, but sure do toss a lot of lead down range. Even manage to hit paper now and then.

Hay! Is there a secret handshake?

D00M

[smilie=p:

JTecalo
10-01-2010, 04:50 AM
New guy from Hollister, Ca.

Don't hate me but I am a Calguns member [smilie=s: , but would like to learn more about reloading and what's happening on other planets.

Been reading the GPal stuff, definite movie of the week material.

DeadHandRed
10-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Hey all, awesome site, very informative. think im gonna spend too much time here.

Red

MKastning
10-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi! I have been lurking around for a while, figured today was a good day to register up.

I am in SE South Dakota, and cast for my Springfield 1903-A3. Casting for me is a relatively new hobby, quickly becoming an obsession.

Lots of great information here, I hope to be able to contribute somewhere along the way. I have definitely learned much already.

Laurel@PGB
10-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi, all! Checking in from north Idaho. I found my way here thanks to the (epic) GPal thread, but plan to stick around.

I'm a reloading newbie, so casting hadn't even crossed my mind yet, but now it certainly has! Looking forward to learning.

grog18b
10-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Like I said, the Gpal debacle has been trying, and the only good thing that came of it for me, is me finding this site.

I am retired, spent 5 years in the US Army, 1985-1990, entered the PSP in 1990, and bought back my military time and retired in 2008. Now, I own my own business, produce a reloading guide for 37mm and 40mm munitions, and do R&D on launchers and ammo, and produce replica 40mm items. I have my own webstore and discussion forum. I just bought a new MEC .410 reloader and have been reloading since I was a pup. I also "cast" my own, but they are a bit larger than the norm around here. I do 40mm items.

It's good to find a place where people honestly care about each other, and welcome new folks, as opposed to someplace that treats you as a trespasser...

I spend most of my internet time between my site, here, SOCNET, and PS.COM, as well as a few other gun friendly sites.

Thanks to all for this site. GROG

357 Voodoo
10-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Hello all. I'm an addict and this site is so very wonderful for feeding my addiction.

happy casting and straight shooting

Buckshot
10-10-2010, 02:36 AM
.................I'd like to personally welcome all the new members that have signed on recently. When you have the chance or the time another resource we have you can check out is at www.castpics.net. It was a place for all us cast lead guys that used the old Shooters.com BB to have as a kinda special place. There is a lot of stuff there that isn't physically here at Cast Boolits.

...............Buckshot

powerglide
10-11-2010, 01:12 AM
Howdy fellers. An Okie here been loadin for 40 years although casting only 3-4 . Learning alot from you-all. Thanks for the good info.

Buckshot
10-11-2010, 01:49 AM
..............powerglide, eh? Great, another Chevy guy :shock:[smilie=l: Welcome aboard from an old Ford guy anyway.

..............Buckshot

Capt Crunch
10-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Guys, I have only been a member for a couple of days and have learned a lot. Been loading for twenty years or so, new to casting my own. I am very happy to be part of something like this, thanks Jim

a.squibload
10-14-2010, 04:53 AM
Hello to new guys!

Made me think of a '69 Impala I owned briefly, 283 w/ 2-speed powerglide,
would go 55 in 1st gear.
Was OK 'til a drunk illegal ran off the road and smashed it in the parking lot.
Twisted the trunk and cracked the brick wall.
Guy who bought it from me cheap used to go back and forth TX to FL to visit relatives.

Sorry, hijack over!

suba
10-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Just want to say hello.....

Elwood
10-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Love this site. I've been reloading for about 17 years and casting on and off for about the same amount of time. Keeps me sane and out of my wifes hair. It means more when you make it yourself.

Tag
10-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Hello, another newbie here to the sight and to casting I've been reloading for more years than I care to count but never cast my own until now thanks, Terry

Gcw
10-30-2010, 03:02 PM
New guy here. I got bit hard by the reloading bug. I've grown up watching my dad reload and have been shooting as long as I can remember. I've been looking at getting into casting because I like shooting as much as I can for as cheap as I can. I'm stationed in Camp Lejeune so if anyone is around local I'd like to get a few pointers if possible. But if not I'm pretty sure I can learn a ton off this site.

Ken77539
11-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Hello all!

I just signed up today and figured I'd introduce myself.

I'm a '50 something' refinery worker along the Houston Ship Channel. Been there since 1977. Married my high school sweetheart over 30 years ago and now have 3 kids and two grandkids. In addition, I also served in the fire service as both an industrial and municipal volunteer. After 32 years I decided I'd done enough for 'God and Country' (and besides it was getting harder to keep up with those 'young-uns' at the station) and in 2005 retired from the fire service. I had entertained the idea of one day taking up reloading as a hobby, and my retirement gave me good excuse to get started. As so many before me, I started out reloading for 'economic reasons' - but let’s face it - have you seen the prices in some of those catalogs - you just got to love doing this stuff. Anyway, me and the wife make our home on a peninsula on Galveston Bay. In 2008 when Hurricane Ike hit Galveston (we're located about 20 miles north of there) we were flooded out and lost nearly everything we had. This put a bit of a crimp in my reloading activities to say the least. Now that we just completed a total re-build of our house, I’m breaking out the old press and getting back into it again. I have just added a few new toys to my repertoire, and opened up a new facet to my hobby too – ‘boolit casting’! If this site is half as good as the folks over at the RLB say, I’m in for a real treat – and one heck of an education.

Ken
San Leon, TX

a.squibload
11-03-2010, 03:28 AM
Howdy Ken!
Dang you type more than me.
In my college days I had a summer job heat-treating down there, spent many hours sitting on
4' dia pipe as they shot hot air through 'em.
We tacked on heaters and wrapped 'em up, then slept in shifts for a couple days ramping the heat up & back down.
Ice in the hardhat helped a lot.

Anyway welcome, they treat ya good here, very knowledgable group.
I haven't been here long and have learned a LOT.

Bolivar Ferry still running?

Ken77539
11-03-2010, 08:18 AM
. . . . Bolivar Ferry still running?

I think it is. We haven't been that far down on the Island since the storm. Farthest we've got was UTMB. We rode it out at my sons apartment just a few miles inland (BAD choice BTW). Turned out to be more traumatic for the wife than we expected - we couldn't even drive through our own town without crying for almost a year, let alone go to Galveston.

Oh yea, I guess I should have warned everyone - I do suffer from 'excessive over-elaboration' sometimes :lol:

WILCO
11-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Oh yea, I guess I should have warned everyone - I do suffer from 'excessive over-elaboration' sometimes :lol:

I think they make a pill for that.......:shock::kidding:

Welcome aboard Ken. Howdy to all the other new folks. [smilie=s:

old turtle
11-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Welcome to all new members. This site has, without a doubt, some of the most knowledgeable casters and shooters any where. Questions are always answered courteously, with insight that only experience can provide. I am always amazed by the world wide scope of the members.

PatMarlin
11-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Wow the new members just keep coming. Welcome aboard to cast boolit heaven! ..:drinks:

jcrntx
11-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi all, brand new member from San Antonio, TX. I have been reloading for a few months and am just getting interested in casting. Saw this site referenced on a few other boards I belong to and have been reading for days (one of the few forums NOT blocked by the filter at the office, production is down...). Anyways, just saying hello and am looking forward to learning all I can!

RP
11-12-2010, 02:25 AM
This thread should come with a warning that casting and reloading is addiction and this site is not to be held responseable for the money you will soon be spending

PatMarlin
11-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Horrible addition for sure Ricky.

CA will be opening a chapter soon near you.

Ironrangenate
12-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi fellas nice to be here with like minded people. Thanks for allowing me to join and listen and contribute. Thanks nate.

DeanWinchester
12-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Hello everyone. Long time loader, lifetime tinkerer. I live to trod the path less traveled. I have been lurking for a few days, I see there's other folks like me here, it isn't the time it takes, it's joy of the journey and end result.

Glad to be here.

huntin dentist
12-17-2010, 01:09 AM
:smile:Hello I"m really new! Handloaded for 40 years but nevercast. I"m really excited to learn.

PatMarlin
12-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Casting does something to the brain... :mrgreen:

rwsem
12-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Hello all- Been lurking here for some time. I'm a regular at the Dan Wesson and Specialty Pistols forum- same ID. Started casting just recently after reading posts here, but now I'm deployed in Afghanistan so I have plenty of time to just read during the "off-duty" hours.

Like the other two forums I frequent, I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and the insiteful tips.

Warmest Regards and Merry Christmas to all,
Ron

Wow! Just noticed- been here since 2006- that was an Iraq deployment...

deadkelly
12-22-2010, 04:35 AM
new bloke from downunder .
looks like a great site glad to be here .
i've only done a little bit of casting , mainly for the 303 british & 357 mag . but i have a few new moulds 20g slug & 12g slug , & a new .312 151gr lee for use in the 303 & 7.62x39 using trail boss . i'm wanting to build a .411-303 & i'm trying to dig up as much info about the theory & practical uses of a heavy slow mover like the 411-303 or others for use in a lee enfield smle . cheers all & merry christmas .

1Shirt
12-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Welcome Deadkelly, and a stateside g'day and a Merry Christmas to you! Hope you enjoy this forum!
1Shirt!:coffee:

deadkelly
12-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Welcome Deadkelly, and a stateside g'day and a Merry Christmas to you! Hope you enjoy this forum!

thanks 1shirt :drinks:

rwsem
12-24-2010, 08:06 AM

1shirt- Omaha, Offut???

I'm from Lincoln, grew up in a USAF family, but joined the Army instead; 27 years ago...

jeff100
01-05-2011, 02:37 AM
Howdy y'all - I've been hiding in the shadows for some time, I guess it's time I introduced myself. Name is Jeff...I live in the Feminist Utopia of Washington (FUWA). I've been reloading for 30 years, I'm finally taking the plunge into bullet casting. So far I'm loving it. I do a lot of hunting & fishing, four wheeling, prospecting, photography, camping, river running, upland dog training, gunsmithing and woodworking. My my favorite big game hunting is bear and cougar & I love working my brittany dogs on upland birds. About a year ago I picked up a Marlin .444 at the gun show, having wanted one for many years. I followed that about six weeks later with a Marlin .45-70. I'm in love with big bore lever guns, not sure how much use my bolt guns will ever see now...LOL Also have a Savage 99 in .308 & plan to cast for that one too. Also a big fan of my .44 mag revolvers. My early boolit casting will be for my big bore rifles and revolvers, starting with the .44 caliber guns. Bought a bottom pour furnace, sent it back and decided to go with ladle casting to start. Hope that's the right thing to do. Have yet to cast a boolit, and I'm already having a heck of a good time. I do a lot of forum cruising for my interests. I have to say, this may be the best forum on the internet. You all are great, I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone. Thanks for taking me in.

Curmudgeon in training....Jeff

srk468
01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
New guy checking in, just getting into casting and reloading and I know I've got alot to learn but I'm already loving this site! :-)

jeremy_p
01-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Love this site and decided to join. Been reloading for 11 years and always wanted to cast so I'm hoping to get into here. I thought I knew what I needed and what to do, but since I've been reading here for a few days I'm a little fuzzy and my head is still spinning, huge wealth of knowledge here.

Jeremy

PatMarlin
01-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Welcome aboard to cast boolit heaven! ..:drinks:

I remember the first time I saw a boolit mold while I was buying some ammo and I thought... wait a minute, I can make these? I'm in!

Mossy Nugget
01-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I've cast roundballs for BP for years. Every time I surf, I somehow end up here. Do you mean I can actually cast, "boolits" for modern rifles? Drip shot for sporting clay reloads? I bet the ground hogs wouldn't know the difference if they were somersaulted by a copper jacketed spitzer @ 4000 F.P.S. or a gas checked cast boolit @ 1200 F.P.S. I am a newb reloader, but the idea of loading my PA63 makarov, 243 win. , or, (my name sake) Mosin Nagant with boolits of my own manufacture is only a mold or two away from black powder. All I really need to make it happen is load data. Where do I look?

waksupi
01-12-2011, 12:54 AM
I've cast roundballs for BP for years. Every time I surf, I somehow end up here. Do you mean I can actually cast, "boolits" for modern rifles? Drip shot for sporting clay reloads? I bet the ground hogs wouldn't know the difference if they were somersaulted by a copper jacketed spitzer @ 4000 F.P.S. or a gas checked cast boolit @ 1200 F.P.S. I am a newb reloader, but the idea of loading my PA63 makarov, 243 win. , or, (my name sake) Mosin Nagant with boolits of my own manufacture is only a mold or two away from black powder. All I really need to make it happen is load data. Where do I look?

Start with looking through the stickies and classics section. Most of your questions will be answered there to get started. You won't have much luck if you just want some one to hand you a load. Too many variables with cast boolits.
Welcome aboard.

Stickbow
01-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Hello and a great big thank you to the membership of Cast Boolits. For years I have successfully casted thousands of modern pistol and muzzle loading projectiles. I enjoyed bullet casting and thought I was fairly good at it. However, I ran into a wall of total frustration when I tried to cast, and reload modern rifle rounds. I made many mistakes, wasted too much money, and washed away valuable time. For the most part I would search the web pages at Cast Boolits to get myself out of my latest reloading bind. Believe me I had many! The great membership here at Cast Boolits always had a solution posted for one of my current dilemmas. I cannot offer enough gratitude to you fine folks. Thanks a lot for all the great posts.
I will try to contribute what I can. Thanks once again!
Robin M. Smith

crappiejig
01-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Welcome ,,I have been a member here for a few months,and I continue to learn something new every day by reading the great info here. Members here are amazing.If there's a question, I'm sure someone can answer it.Welcome to the addiction! :Fire:

beladran
01-16-2011, 02:25 PM
hey guys been looking around for awhile and finally decided to say hey im here lol i been casting for several years and i learn something new every time i visit this site!

Gulftanker
01-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Hello! I'm just starting out casting and heard this is the place to go for answers. I'm sure I'll be in plenty of times for info and such. Looking forward to forming some fine lead projectiles!

blut und eisen
01-17-2011, 03:47 AM
Hello all! Stumbled across this forum today and love it! As a lifelong shooter/reloader/bullet caster, I started out of need now it's become somewhat of an addiction. Basically I shoot to support my reloading habit. So it goes. Right now I'm halfway through my third and FINAL deployment to Iraq. Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Land Owner
01-17-2011, 09:48 PM
One noob to another, we thank you for your service blut und eisen. Head down, stay safe. My son has just returned from his fourth (former Marine with 3 now Army with 2).

I Moderate Forums on Graybeard Outdoors and have for years. Got into casting in the Summer of 2010 through a gift of 900#'s of lead distributed throughout ~80 steel ammo boxes. Have been reading here since then, gathering data, equipment, moulds, books, and casting an ingot or two. They are the "Ugliest Ingots I Will Ever Love".

Have not made any of my own mould cast boolets yet. MidwayUSA sent the wrong RCBS furnace (240V-EUR) for Christmas and UPS didn't deliver the exchange (110V-USA) furnace today as advertised on their tracking site. Soon will have moulds, lead, and furnace. Will Travel for experience. Need some in the lube and sizing departments.

Cast some 180 gr gas checked 357 Mags with a fellow [poster 45-70] in Fernandina Beach before Christmas using his LBT mould, Lyman sizer and Lee furnace. What a riot. Furnace wouldn't heat up outside in the 30 mph wind gusts with temperature dropping from 35 degrees to 25 degrees, so we went to dinner at Sonny's BBQ. Got back and I had never seen wheel weight clips BRIGHT RED. His furnace GOT HOT in an hour.

waksupi
01-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Cast some 180 gr gas checked 357 Mags with a fellow [poster 45-70] in Fernandina Beach before Christmas using his LBT mould, Lyman sizer and Lee furnace. What a riot. Furnace wouldn't heat up outside in the 30 mph wind gusts with temperature dropping from 35 degrees to 25 degrees, so we went to dinner at Sonny's BBQ. Got back and I had never seen wheel weight clips BRIGHT RED. His furnace GOT HOT in an hour.

gotta be careful there. You had actually reached a temperature that lead can gas off, and actually be a health hazard.

Welcome aboard new guys!

Land Owner
01-21-2011, 11:00 PM
...outside in the 30 mph wind gusts...
Ventilation at the time was the least of our worries, but thank you for the warning about those 'red hot' clips and the "gas off" temperature of the melt. If I ever see that again I will KNOW to be careful and to proceed with caution - ensuring adequate ventilation.

Snoopz
01-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Hi to all that are here and thank you for allowing me to join.. been reloading for years, casting boolits, swaging those puppies also, working with wildcats and all that other good stuff, some not wildcats anymore....man I'm old...

-Snoopz

linotype
02-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Hello, new guy here.

Making plans for retirement in three years, and decided to go back to casting, reloading, and shooting. Found this forum through Internet search. Liked the site so much, I joined up.
Ran my own gun shop until early 80s. I'm amazed by how much casting and reloading has changed (improved) over the years. Really looking forward to listening and learning a lot.

Thanks!

45nut
02-04-2011, 02:28 PM
linotype[/B];1149031]Hello, new guy here.

Making plans for retirement in three years, and decided to go back to casting, reloading, and shooting. Found this forum through Internet search. Liked the site so much, I joined up.
Ran my own gun shop until early 80s. I'm amazed by how much casting and reloading has changed (improved) over the years. Really looking forward to listening and learning a lot.

Thanks!

I am continually amazed of the handles that are still available that would seem to have been grabbed years ago.
Welcome aboard!

a.squibload
02-05-2011, 01:55 PM
...Making plans for retirement in three years...

I'm gonna wait 'til I can afford it, if I can keep away from the Group Buys
and Swappin' & Sellin' it'll only be about 90 years from now!

linotype
02-05-2011, 06:43 PM
I am continually amazed of the handles that are still available that would seem to have been grabbed years ago.
Welcome aboard!

Well, thank you. Glad to be here.

I was surprised to find that handle unused.

During my younger years I spent time around the Mergenthaler plant that made the circuit boards for the machines. Played around with hot metal, and haunted the typesetter at a local paper.
When I got into reloading, I started using lino scraps for casting. Back then, lead was lead to me. Boy, I've since found out here that there is more to casting than just melting, lubing and jamming it in a case!

linotype
02-05-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm gonna wait 'til I can afford it, if I can keep away from the Group Buys
and Swappin' & Sellin' it'll only be about 90 years from now!

:grin: Oh, got that right! At first glance, I thought I'd crack the piggy bank and cast a few bullets to pass the time.
Think again! I found so many new moulds and other goodies that I just have to have.
Wow. I think I need a bigger piggy bank!!

DIRT Farmer
02-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Just a question, I did not receive any notification when my membership ran out with the CBA. Due to personal preferances, and the fact that my old computer will not open attachments, does anyone have the pen, paper, stamp and check system for renewing my membership? Honestly I don't think I have ever had this much trouble joining anything. It seem most groups want to make it easy to join.

45nut
02-07-2011, 07:32 PM
http://www.castbulletassoc.org/join2.shtml

Everyone knows the CBA and Cast Boolits are separate outfits,, right?

*Paladin*
02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Hello, new guy here.

Thanks!

Welcome! Where abouts in central PA?

linotype
02-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Welcome! Where abouts in central PA?

Saw your sig - First off, let me say, thanks for serving!

Near Williamsport (Little League Baseball)

Longarm
02-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Howdy! Lots of great info on here, I've been watching for awhile and finally decided to join.

CWO4GUNNER
02-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Hi everyone and thanks for having me. Basically Im a retired Navy/CG gunner (CWO4-WEPS) retired now 6 years and finally getting re-interested in shooting my AR/50 BMG again. Its taken a long time to get the desire to shoot again after being involved with small arms, major weapon systems, and LE day in and out for 30 years. Since I have never reloaded before this part of ordnance has re-sparked my interest and Im in the final stages of setting up my RCBS 50 BMG Ammo-master which I have had in storage new for 7 years. Cant wait to start reloading my old 50 BMG and .338 brass, and measuring results at our local 1000 yard range.

The only thing I am stumped on is a reasonable cost long range spotting scope, I suppose at that range walking to verify every group will be necessary. Im hoping my Ziess 3-9X40 scope which has the best optics I have ever used will allow me to see the holes that far like it does at 400 Yrds as this is the longest distance I have shot my AR/50 only 400 yards previously with BMG issue 2-3 inch groups.

Anyway[smilie=s:

PS- since I cant afford a larger Zeiss 6-20X50 (1K), After a lot of research Im hoping this spotting scope for $298 shipped will bridge the gap a 22-66X100 Celestron 52252
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41T7NZSMX7L.jpg

Dean D.
02-17-2011, 02:09 PM
I want to welcome all our new members, the speed which Cast Boolits has grown is amazing. The warmth and sense of community here is one of the strongest on the Net.

I especially want to thank all our new members in uniform. I keep all of you in my daily thoughts and prayers. May God Bless and watch over you where ever you are.

JohnnieB
02-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Hi everybody.

I don't cast my own boolits yet, but I've sent at least ton of them downrange and I'm here to learn.
A ton of boolits might seem a bit like an exaggeration, which I've been known to do, but it's only 60,870 rounds fired in .45acp or 88,608 rounds fired in .38spl. :smile:

I reload .38spl, .357mag and .45acp on a Lee Classic Turret press and have a couple single stage press for the other tasks.
I've got guns that shoot .32acp and .380auto also, but I got big paws and those are little bitty cases.
With very little exception, I only reload with naked plumbum alloy projectiles.

I used to shoot mostly bottomfeeders, but all the years of wild living finally caught up with me and I had to migrate to revolvers after I could no longer rack the slides reliably. Or at least not reliably enough for SD/HD purposes. However, I really didn't know what I was missing until I started shooting revolvers.

My favorite Rimfire is a Ruger MkII with a tapered 6 7/8" target barrel
My favorite .38spl is a S&W 15-3 4"
My favorite .357mag is a S&W 686 4", with a S&W 19-3 4" running a close second.
My favorite .45acp is a Remington Rand 1911A1, but there's a S&W 625JM due in any day now will most likely take its place.
All of my guns are shooters, but the R-R 1911A1 is going into semi-retirement (No pun intended) when the 625JM arrives.

I'm a NRA life member (Patron) and a member of WVCDL (West Virginia Citizen's Defense League)
SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) is a shooter also. In fact, she's a better shot with our snubbies and mouseguns than I am. :oops:
We both dabble in photography also. She an artist and can see things I don't, while I'm technically inclined and my pictures are more along the"Snapshot" line while her's are "Photographs". [smilie=b:

*Paladin*
02-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Welcome Johnnie! Just a few short months ago I hadn't cast any bullets either. This stuff is addictive. Now that I'm shooting my own and seeing BETTER accuracy than I've gotten with similar commercial cast boolits, I'm hooked! In fact, I don't even want to shoot any of my jacketed stuff! I find myself spending my days off scrounging for lead, but that's half the fun...

luna butte
02-24-2011, 06:01 PM
well i guess, that i am the newest newguy. i hope i don't get to far under your skin.

Justin Hill

Isaac
02-24-2011, 09:58 PM
I just registered today. My registration was recommended by a member of another site in response to information I was seeking.

After checking the site over, I decided to stick around.

I don't currenty cast. However, I have entertained the idea of doing so several times in the past. I've just not stepped over the line. For the most part, In my younger years, I didn't have the room to devote to casting. No excuse now, other than I have to take the time to do so.

Back in the early '80's I worked part time at a local gun shop. During that time, I bought an RCBS Lubasizer, a couple Lyman handles and Lyman dies for Keith style bullets in .357 and .44 Cal. as well as other components. I didn't buy a furnace, however. I still have everything and they are still new in the box packed away in the loading room. As I mentioned, I've just not taken the final step.

I recently passed the half-century mark. Retired from the first career and am several years into the second. I been into shooting sports and hunting since I was in single digits. I watched my father and his buddies reload and began on my own at around 18. With exception of a couple of break periods due to career and child rearing, I have been loading most of the time since I began.

I've recently began accumulating used presses and am currently up to 9. I don't know where that's going, but over the last two years I've found it hard to turn down a decent deal on a good used press or reloading gear.

Well, I guess that's enough rambling for the moment.

Thanks

Isaac

dromia
02-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Welcome Isaac. :drinks:

Hogdaddy
03-05-2011, 11:37 AM
How Do Newb, Love reading & learning about casting, I've been realoading for only a little over (2)_ yrs now. Great forum & much to learn ; )
H/D

dromia
03-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi! Hogdaddy. :D

*Paladin*
03-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Welcome Hogdaddy!

birdadly
03-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Ah, HERE's the place for us new guys to post! I'm a complete novice here, fyi. I, like many I'm sure, got my first .45 about a month ago and decided I want to start reloading. While researching that I realized people cast their own bul... fine... boolits! So I said, yep, I want to do that too! And my reading began.

Also I'm excited because I had a case of beginners luck last Friday. I figure even if I won't be ready to cast for a few months (researching/learning and getting equipment) I want to start getting my stash of lead. And low and behold I started strong!

I just had some body work done on my car and so picking it up last Thursday I asked the guy what they do with their weights. The short of it is, I came back Friday with 3 small buckets and emptied their FULL (heaping over a bit) 5-gallon bucket into them. I got home and weighed them, exactly 170 lbs. I was excited :) He said to come back every 3 weeks to get what he had. He figured that bucket was about 2 months worth.

Okay, back to reading so I'm ready to go soon!
Thanks for having me! -Brad

PatMarlin
03-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Casting boolits is like catching gold fever. I've been horribly afflicted with both.

Welcome aboard to cast boolit heaven Brad! ..:drinks:

dromia
03-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Hi Birdadly

Welcome to the forum.

You've plenty of reading to catch up on. :-D

*Paladin*
03-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Welcome Brad and congrats on scoring the WW's! This really is an addiction... :drinks:

Pistolero35743
03-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Hi all and happy casting. I actually joined August last year but got tied up doing other things. Just now skimmed a year or so threads. Things I noticed. Bottom pour over ladle every time. Do it outdoors, use electric fan to keep vapors away from your lungs. using wheel weights, they are making them from all sorts of exotic compounds. if you are not sure they are old style wheel weights, if they have an epoxy or glossy finish CHUNK THEM. They are deadly to breathe and will ruin a pot of good lead. I have cast bullets since the 60's and consider myself a master, My extra-hard cast bullets run to 29-32 Brinnell. I will help by answering basic questions gladly and as thouroughly as possible. Pistol

Ajax
03-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Welcome to the forum Pistolero. Look forward to learning and sharing information with you.

Andy

45nut
03-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Welcome to the forum.. you might be surprised on what you can learn here!

smoked turkey
03-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Welcome aboard. IMO You have happened upon the best board on the net for us shooters/handloaders/casters/etc. There is so much knowledge here that we all benefit from in some way or another. The true strength of this site is in the people. I've met some of the best of the lot right here. I'm pretty sure that after a while poking around the various forums that you will agree.

*Paladin*
03-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Welcome Pistolero!

Gullwing
03-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Newbie,Hadn`t realised what I`d been missing,the satisfaction of casting your own bullits,then seeing the finished product ready to go.Up till now I`ve only tried handgun items,but I`m more than willing to learn as much as I can in the coming weeks etc. And believe me,I know theres a heck of a lot to learn from you folks.

Ajax
03-18-2011, 04:22 PM
welcome gullwing. Glad to have ya,

Andy

Jim
03-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Yes Sir, welcome to ya'! We're glad to have you join the crowd.

*Paladin*
03-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Welcome Gullwing!

TCoggins
03-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Signed up a few days ago. I currently don't do any casting, but I do shoot cast boolits in my 45-70 (H&R Buffalo Classic).

I suspect that my son and I will be doing some casting in the future, as he picked up an old CVA big bore mountain rifle kit at a yard sale last summer. We are in the process of putting it together.,

Used to cast when I was a kid, as my dad and I shot muzzle loaders about every weekend. He may still have his casting equipment. I'll check next time I am there.

I'll be lurking around here from time to time to glean any useful information I can, as well as share any info that I can to help out.

Thanks.

Tim

*Paladin*
03-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Welcome TCoggins!

Ajax
03-20-2011, 10:47 AM
welcome abord tim glad to have ys. I you have any questions dont be afraid to ask there is a wealth of knowledge here tha is given freely.

Andy

OldskoolNewbie
03-23-2011, 12:47 AM
Finally promoted from lurker to member!
Anxious to get started, really am a newbie, have a propane burner, small cast iron kettle, SS ladle, some lead on the way. Two black-powder guns that have a big appetite for soft lead, a .45ACP pistol, and a .44mag.revolver, all asking for more boolits to be fed to them. 'Been lurking enough to have an idea or two to get me started, but I'm wondering where to get the thermometer to use in my pot? Still shoppin' for a mold to make some lightweight conicals to try in my cap and ball 44 revolver.

a.squibload
03-23-2011, 03:32 AM
Search "casting equipment" for "tru-temp" (or "tru temp"?),
same one the reloading brands sell but less expensive.

And welcome to THE forum!

*Paladin*
03-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Welcome OldskoolNewbie!

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-24-2011, 08:12 PM
New guy, lurked for about a week to get a feel for the place.
Seems like a great bunch here.
Hope yer all up for lots of questions [smilie=s:

Started learning casting about 2 months ago from an old timer at our range.
Now almost set up, scrounged up about 450 pounds of wheel weights from the local wrecking yard.
Found screaming deal on some used molds and other stuff, made my own ingot molds, dipper and other small tools.
Smelted down the first half of the WW and cast my first batch of 44 slugs last week. Also used the recipe provided by Recluse to make up some lube,
and have the first batch lubed and ready to size.
Very excited to get them finished and loaded and see how they fly!
Melting on a Coleman stove w/ a Lee pot for now.
Humble beginnings, but at least it's a beginning! And a great way to pass the long Montana winters

bslim
03-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Just signed up last week. I ordered a Magma casting pot and was looking for a Star lube sizer when I linked into this site. Sure didn't know what I was missing. I've picked up a ton of good information from guys who have done it and not just talked about doing it. This is great stuff. Thanks for all of the input , it sure makes it easier for us new guys.

Ajax
03-25-2011, 06:19 AM
welcome Jim and Slim. Glad to have yall join us.

Andy

45nut
03-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Finally promoted from lurker to member!
Anxious to get started, really am a newbie, have a propane burner, small cast iron kettle, SS ladle, some lead on the way. Two black-powder guns that have a big appetite for soft lead, a .45ACP pistol, and a .44mag.revolver, all asking for more boolits to be fed to them. 'Been lurking enough to have an idea or two to get me started, but I'm wondering where to get the thermometer to use in my pot? Still shoppin' for a mold to make some lightweight conicals to try in my cap and ball 44 revolver.

Welcome aboard first off. :cbpour:
I don't have one yet, but look in the vendor sponsor area for Swede Nelson, he sells the thermometers.

GaryN
03-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Hi All, I just now signed up. I've been casting on and off for about thirty years. I love to shoot handguns. I love to melt lead.

waltham41
03-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Howdy from Oklahoma...... been reloading and casting for a couple of years, still have a heck of a lot to learn. Looking forward to learning from you guys.

*Paladin*
03-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Welcome Gary and waltham!

Ajax
03-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Welcome Waltham41 and Gary glad to have ya.

Andy