PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Grumpy Joe
02-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Well hello. Keeping the family tradition going. It has been several years since my father reloaded and now I am getting into it too. Did not see a space to say hello so here I am. Living a mile and a quarter closer to God in Big Bear California so if you know or are close stop on by. I run a tool shop here locally in semi retirement.

I shoot Marlin 444, Model 70 30-06, Wheatherby 257, Springfield 45 Tac, 357 Colt Cobra, S/W snub 38, 44mag couple shotguns but not big there yet. My reloading is a RCBS Chucker for now as singles are the best to start but buddies all use Dillon 550s. I have a few recipe cards from POPs but actually just learning the trade with the wife. We plan on starting with the 357 and 38s 100 round sets and shooting them. AS we get better and want to have fun we will get into the rifles and 44mag. Glad to meet any and all of you anytime.

PbHurler
02-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Welcome! This is a great place to be.

Czech_too
02-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Welcome. There's a lot of information to be found on this forum. Any questions, ask away, I'm sure that there's someone 'out there' who can supply the answer, or if not put you in the right direction.

Dean D.
02-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Welcome Joe! You've found the greatest website on the net for our hobby.

country gent
02-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Welcome from a Brother toolmaker. This is a great place to get information all you need do is ask.

DCP
02-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Welcome aboard lots of good info here.

searcher4851
02-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Welcome aboard.
Always plenty of folks here willing to help and answer questions. There is also a wealth of knowledge contained within the "stickies" on this site, that will probably answer any questions you have, before you have to ask them.

JeffinNZ
02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Are you really Grumpy though?

Welcome.

chsparkman
02-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Welcome to the forum, and to reloading. Gotta warn you though, once you start you'll never want to quit. Big Bear! I'm from Riverside and Big Bear was one of my favorite places to go. I love the San Bernardino Mtns. My favorite fishing hole was Bear Creek, just a few miles downstream from you.

Grumpy Joe
02-13-2014, 08:30 PM
chsparkman; Bear Creek is my favorite place to watch bears. Saw 6 this year 2 sows with cubs and an ugly one twice. Next year I am hoping to take one of them with a custom load.

Thanks to all for the site and I will have a lot to read for the next several months. My Uncle used to load his 444 on the tailgate of the truck with a hammer and a single die. Still not sure what he was doing but I have his die still. It is just the hammer part I did not like. Best shooter I have known ever. Nothing fancy but no matter what he pointed downrange he hit it.

MrWolf
02-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge in the stickies and posts. Best of luck and as they say, welcome to the madness :Fire:

bearcove
02-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Don't worry load them one at a time. That's how I shoot them too!

Welcome home!

CastingFool
02-13-2014, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the site, Joe!

John Allen
02-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Welcome aboard Joe

Bzcraig
02-14-2014, 12:56 AM
Hey Grumpy, just your name fits in around here! Welcome aboard, welcome to the addiction as well. Though we don't currently have a twelve step program we should soon I hope before I'm broke! Big Bear is a pretty place to spend your retirement albeit it is in CA. but there are several of us here.

waksupi
02-14-2014, 03:15 AM
Hey Grumpy, just your name fits in around here! Welcome aboard, welcome to the addiction as well. Though we don't currently have a twelve step program we should soon I hope before I'm broke! Big Bear is a pretty place to spend your retirement albeit it is in CA. but there are several of us here.

We do have a 12 step program, but it includes removing money from bank accounts.

Welcome aboard!

Wayne Smith
02-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Hey, Grumpy! Welcome, and since you have that die get yourself an arbor press and use it. Keep the tradition going. Get yourself a good reloading manual, Lyman, Sierra, or such. That will tell you all you need to know about the process and give you data.

MtGun44
02-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Welcome, hope you're not TOO Grumpy.

Spend some time mining the Stickies and you'll get a wealth of info.

Bill

runfiverun
02-14-2014, 12:56 PM
12 is how many steps it takes to completely swage one bullet from scratch.
I don't think I'd look into that program,,,,,,,,,, again.

Blacksmith
02-14-2014, 04:13 PM
chsparkman; Bear Creek is my favorite place to watch bears. Saw 6 this year 2 sows with cubs and an ugly one twice. Next year I am hoping to take one of them with a custom load.

Thanks to all for the site and I will have a lot to read for the next several months. My Uncle used to load his 444 on the tailgate of the truck with a hammer and a single die. Still not sure what he was doing but I have his die still. It is just the hammer part I did not like. Best shooter I have known ever. Nothing fancy but no matter what he pointed downrange he hit it.

Grumpy it sounds like your Uncle may have been using a Lee Loader, lovingly refereed to as a wack-a-mole loader. They no longer list the .444 caliber but they used to make many more calibers. Here is their web page (they are a sponsor of the site)
http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/lee-loader-rifle/
There is also a section of the forum devoted to hand loaders like the Lee Loader and Lyman 310 tool among others.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?39-Casting-and-Reloading-Hand-Tools

Welcome aboard there is lots of reading for you, the stickies are a great place to start, you will find most problems have been encountered before by someone and solved so don't get frustrated.

Idaho Mule
02-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Welcome Joe. JW

Grumpy Joe
02-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Blacksmith; Yes it is a Lee wackamole loader. Now a firm reminder on the shelf but still looking near new. Since I suddenly became broke I will have a lot of time to set up the bench now. Maybe I will post some pics of my "Dog House" later.