PDA

View Full Version : I think it's time to start casting a bit

Comrade Mike
02-13-2014, 03:34 PM
I've really got no interest in mass producing cast handgun bullets, the time investment: savings just isn't there for me. However casting for rifles on a small scale seems like a great way to shoot more for less. 12¢ a bullet is hard to beat.

I've read a lot about casting for the 6.5x55 and I know it's controversial but I'm the most interested in casting for my M96. the Lyman 266469 140 gr Loverin bullet looks like a good place to start with a load of 2400 under it, gas checked and pan lubed with white label BAC.

I'm going to pick up the Lyman cast bullet handbook in the next couple days and start accumulating supplies here and there until I start in May. Any recommendations on small pots, lead ladles, beginner tips, ect?

I was also wondering where you can find a .266 sizer, doesn't seem to be a common offering.

nvbirdman
02-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Casting rifle boolits is a good way to get started.
You will soon be mass producing cast handgun boolits.

runfiverun
02-13-2014, 06:52 PM
the first place I would start is reading good steel's sticky on doing a pound cast of the throat.
it seems a little intimidating but is super informative on what your rifle really wants as far as a boolit.
the 266 sizer will most likely turn into a 269 sizer after taking some measurements.
and the shape will give you a definite clue as to which boolit you are looking for.