PDA

View Full Version : Ransom Rest

allie
12-15-2007, 10:17 PM
I have a Ransom Rest with some inserts. But, I need more of them @ $55.00 a piece plus shipping it adds up quick. Has anyone made their own inserts? If so how did you go about it? I thought about routing wood out then coating it with something like Rhino liner. Then I figured I could identify what type of rubber Ransom is using, order it from McMaster/Carr, and make my own. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Allie

brshooter
12-15-2007, 10:40 PM
I have one all so, had a machinist make some aluminum back plates, epoxied a stiff edm type plastic to them. Made a fixture so I cold use a pantogram with a router to cut the plastic with the pistol frame as pattern. Was a trying job, made four sets and for the amount of time spent was cheaper to buy them. they worked ok, but the factory ones were much better made. This was 30 years ago.

ANeat
12-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Allie; Caldwell inserts are supposed to swap with the ransom inserts. There $35.00 each. I have a Ransom rest but havent tried the caldwell inserts. They also sell a kit to form your own.

Adam
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=983063

Blammer
12-16-2007, 07:05 PM
I find used ransom rest inserts on ebay for quite cheap lately....

allie
12-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you for the great info. I will give the Caldwells a try and see how they work out.

Allie

pa_guns
12-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi

If you grab them cheap from eBay, you can use bedding compound to "adapt" them. Obviously there are limits to what you can do this way though.

Bob