PDA

View Full Version : Howa 1500 ranchland security

warf73
02-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Has anyone bought one in the past year?
I've done some research buts most of the stuff I've read is several years old. The only bad think I've read is the triger isn't all that great and if you get the combo deal the scope is rubbish (Nikko).

Let me have it the good bad and ugly.

Thanks

frkelly74
02-13-2014, 09:05 AM
The Howa 1500 that I have is a solid rifle that was not real expensive. I have one in 30/06 that says Weatherby on it. I call it my Wal-Mart Weatherby and it is a shooter. The trigger is not that bad as far as I am concerned. I bought it about 7 years ago. The only problem I ever had was when it was brand new and I put mounts on it there was a chip in one of the holes at the locking ring that was forced out and bound up the bolt. I should have cleaned the holes out first but it didn't occur to me that the manufacturer wouldn't send it out ready to go. I would like it even better if there were iron sights on it.

TheCelt
02-13-2014, 06:31 PM
I don't know about that particular model but I have a Howa 1500 .308 Win action and heavy barrel mounted in an aluminum Axiom stock. It has been a shooter from day one. FIRST group fired was 150gr Amax bullet in front of a CCI 200 primer and 44gr of RL-15 in R-P brass, came in at 0.4 MOA for 5 rounds!! The original trigger was not to bad but I did replace it with a Timney which was a bit nicer.

swheeler
02-13-2014, 06:50 PM
I've got one marked 1500 Smith and Wesson in 7mm RMag, solid rifle that shots good.

Love Life
02-13-2014, 06:54 PM
I shot one yesterday and was not impressed. I plan to torque everything down for the guy and shoot it again. I'm hoping it's just the scope that came with it that's off.

It would print two in almost one hole, then scatter 3 into a random pattern.

I'm going to assume it is either the torque or scope issues, as howas usually shoot much better than that.

Silverboolit
02-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Bought one a year ago, .308 in Hogue overmold stock. Replaced the stock with Boyd's thumbhole. It shoots very well. Trigger is very nice with a crisp letoff and not too heavy.

TheCelt
02-13-2014, 11:35 PM
I shot one yesterday and was not impressed. I plan to torque everything down for the guy and shoot it again. I'm hoping it's just the scope that came with it that's off.

It would print two in almost one hole, then scatter 3 into a random pattern.

I'm going to assume it is either the torque or scope issues, as howas usually shoot much better than that.

I think you're spot on LL. Might check to see if the forend is contacting the barrel too. I had an older Savage with the ElCheapo stock that did the same thing. I routed out the barrel channel and the problem went away. Good luck with that rifle, the Howa 1500 is usually a good shooting rifle.

Love Life
02-13-2014, 11:46 PM
I've got a couple things to check on it. The stock is "squishy" as houges usually are. I'm going to toque everything down 1st, and I plan to watch him shoot to make sure the pressure from the bipod isn't forcing the stock to touch the barrel. After that it'll be time to test a better scope. The person who bought the gun got it to start his wife in long range shooting so hopefully I can help him out.

300savage
02-14-2014, 10:57 AM
the only one i have any experiance with is a 243 that was bought without scope.
we mounted a good scope on it and it shoots everything fed into it extremely well.
often half inch groups or better for three shots, i am very impressed with my experiance of a grand total of one..

TheCelt
02-14-2014, 11:12 AM
the only one i have any experiance with is a 243 that was bought without scope.
we mounted a good scope on it and it shoots everything fed into it extremely well.
often half inch groups or better for three shots, i am very impressed with my experiance of a grand total of one..

LOL, good one Pard!!! "one" is all it takes most of the time!!!! I ain't got but one Howa too and I'm with ya. Aside the rifle, hope you're all healed up from last year.

yoter
03-21-2014, 01:36 AM
I have the nearly identical Weatherby Vanguard Ranchland Compact in .243. Nice light, compact accurate ranch rifle.

FergusonTO35
03-26-2014, 10:53 PM
I have one that began life as a .30'06 and is currently a .257 Roberts. It has always been more accurate than I can hold and of all the push feed type actions out there I think this is the best. The factory trigger responds very well to adjustment, especially if the internals are polished. I had a reputable smith do mine. I think the Howa is an excellent rifle but not being made in the USA or Europe will always prevent many from taking it seriously.

Love Life
03-28-2014, 12:34 AM
The Howa 1500 is good enough to come in 2nd place at the 1,000 yd F/TR shoot at Palomino Valley Gun Club...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?235947-Budget-equipment-wins-the-day!!

wch
03-28-2014, 07:14 AM
Howa rifles are excellent, accurate and well made, else Weatherby wouldn't be selling tham as their "Vanguard" rifles.