PDA

View Full Version : Bad weather in the South East

Charlie Two Tracks
02-12-2014, 08:38 PM
How are you folks doing in the South East? Looks like Georgia and North Carolina are having a pretty good ice storm. :(

Clay M
02-12-2014, 09:29 PM
No ice here yet. We may get some after midnight. I have plenty of firewood,food and a 10K generator. I stay prepared for stuff like this.

jonp
02-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Major bad north of raleigh, nc. Started snowing around noon or so. Got to work at 20mph to find the mill was closed. Hung out for a couple of hours as it got worse then helped a driver who got his semi stuck get out. 20 mph all the way home with the road only a guess. Id say 6in snow before changing to sleet around 1800 and its still sleeting. Plus the wind has come up now id say 30 mph gusts. My wife normaly takes about 1.25 hrs to get home. They let the. Out early and it took her almost 3hrs. Talked to plant mgr. He thinks they mite open 0900 but mite not if still bad.

canthitsquat
02-13-2014, 01:58 AM

dagger dog
02-13-2014, 02:26 AM
No ice here yet. We may get some after midnight. I have plenty of firewood,food and a 10K generator. I stay prepared for stuff like this.

A wise man !

Today finally was above freeing long enough to de ice the trees, but the ground is to soggy to fire up the TO 35 and chain saw to move all the limbs and small trees that were taken down by the ice that we had here in the Ohio valley.

The ground is frozen down about 4-6" but with the snow melt it's not passable without tearing up more than you can clean.

Blacksmith
02-13-2014, 02:40 AM
Between Baltimore and Philadelphia. Snow started shortly before 9:00 PM steady so far now 1:30 AM with 3" to 4" on the ground. Forecast says maybe 6" more then changing to sleet/freezing rain with wind getting stronger. Tough conditions for the animals and the wildlife, throw some food out for them.

Gonna be shoveling a bunch of global warming tomorrow. You all stay safe.

jonp
02-13-2014, 08:57 AM

First thing I did when I bought my house here in nc was get a larger propane tank and switch the stove fr electric to.propane. I also put wall mount gas heaters inthe rooms downstairs. We keep 3months food on hand and 10gal of drinking water with a purification unit to make more. Also a couple of turkeys in the freezer to keep it cold for a week if need be. Also keep the vehicles full of gas and have hurricane lamps, wind up flashlights and solar/ wind up radio among other things
All are things we have always done. Just seems like common sense and we get a kick out of panic buying of milk and bread every storm as we have powdered milk and 20lbs of flour on hand

Houndog
02-13-2014, 09:11 AM
We got 7 inches of snow here last night on top of a good sheet of ice. It's still not that cold, only around 28 or so. Since it's a wet sloppy snow, most of it will be gone pretty fast. Our neighbors on the eastern side of the Blue Ridge got the worst of this storm. Y'all take care and stay warm!

762 shooter
02-13-2014, 01:01 PM
We got nuttin but ice here (SC coast). When I walked out on the porch yesterday the neighborhood sounded like a gun range from all the pine limbs breaking off. Weird.

dagger dog
02-13-2014, 01:17 PM
We got nuttin but ice here (SC coast). When I walked out on the porch yesterday the neighborhood sounded like a gun range from all the pine limbs breaking off. Weird.

I experienced the same, but living rural and heating with wood kept me from abandoning the house as my neighbors had to do for 5 days
in Jan. 2009.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-13-2014, 05:30 PM
You guys watch out until things calm down. We get a fair amount of snow but the roads are pretty much flat around here.

Blacksmith
02-14-2014, 04:27 AM
Update from between Baltimore and Philadelphia mostly finished up shoveling the 14" of global warming we got, thank goodness not much ice. Tonight we got about an inch+ additional and more in the forecast. I'm ready to start seeing green instead of white any time the good lord is willing to start spring.

runfiverun
02-14-2014, 01:06 PM
jeez we get 2' and they don't even mention it on the weather channel.
the lady say's "oh look, some pretty colors are sweeping in below Yellowstone park".
"it looks like it's heading east towards one of the rectangle shaped states".
the local radio says tune in in the morning in case they close the schools [which translates into....the principal went riding his snow-machine today]
anyway I thought everybody in the south drove a jacked up 4 wd truck so they could navigate the bad snow storms, that's why we have them up here.