PDA

View Full Version : Molds for casting machine

Silver-Silver
02-12-2014, 12:02 AM
What are some of the best molds for casting machines?

Magma or Saeco which has been converted to be used in a casting machine

I am looking for a 9mm heavy round nose like the two listed
Saeco - 62910
Magma - 38S 150 RN FB

Does anyone have info about these or ones like it? Is a Saeco worth the price over a Magma mold?

rszkutak
02-13-2014, 04:10 PM
What are some of the best molds for casting machines?

Magma or Saeco which has been converted to be used in a casting machine

I am looking for a 9mm heavy round nose like the two listed
Saeco - 62910
Magma - 38S 150 RN FB

Does anyone have info about these or ones like it? Is a Saeco worth the price over a Magma mold?

I have the master caster and you can use any mold you'd like to in there. IMO Magma makes good quality molds, that being said I would prefer to save the money if I can and get Lyman, RCBS, or even old ideal molds instead of paying the premium for magma molds.

Lyman and Ideal molds drop right in, they need a "retero kit" from magma that can be used for multiple molds from the same company like ideal, lyman. With an RCBS mold you need to send that mold into them to have the slots milled open a bit (unless you have a milling machine, or access to one it can be done really quick).

I'm not sure if Saeco is worth the extra money to be honest, but it's all about what value you feel the saeco will have over the magma.

Now on a side note I shoot quite a bit of .38, the most accurate bullet i have used to date for this is 09−147 FP BB from Magma. They cast about .358 or so, I can size them for either 9mm at .356 or 38 special at .357. These little babies are amazingly accurate, bonus I can use them across multiple platforms.

tomme boy
02-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Check out Accurate Molds. Tom makes them for auto machines. It is in the option part of ordering. Email him and he can tell you more.

Silver-Silver
02-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Lyman and Ideal molds drop right in, they need a "retero kit" from magma that can be used for multiple molds

This I didn't know, I thought they all had to be modified on a mill like the RCBS

With an RCBS mold you need to send that mold into them to have the slots milled open a bit (unless you have a milling machine, or access to one it can be done really quick).

Luckily, I do have access to a milling machine, I was thinking I would have the first mold modified so I can see exactly what was done.

I'm not sure if Saeco is worth the extra money to be honest

I have never used a Saeco personally, I just know they are highly regarded as some of the best. If a cheap mold fits in the casting machine, is accurate and creates good boolits, I would be extremely happy.

Silver-Silver
02-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Check out Accurate Molds. Tom makes them for auto machines.

I would love to get an "Accurate Mold" from Tom, for this particular mold I am trying to find a round nose profile, Tom needs a flat meplat on his designs. I do like how he offers bullets without lube groves for the new bullet coatings/paint.

Ballisti Cast has a few more options that I would like (ie #914) but I don't want to order from them and have to wait. I am sure once they are up and running again I will purchase a mold from them.

rszkutak
02-13-2014, 06:54 PM
This I didn't know, I thought they all had to be modified on a mill like the RCBS

Luckily, I do have access to a milling machine, I was thinking I would have the first mold modified so I can see exactly what was done.

RCBS is the only mold that needs the sides "opened up a bit", i believe it's about .002" or so. The lyman and ideal's both accomidate the magma brackets perfectly. The lyman and ideal both use a set screw from the top as we know, those go right through the magma brackets and walla! The RCBS has a smaller opening than the magma brackets, hence opening them up.

Make a small pass evenly on each side and your set. you won't damage the mold either for future value, they will still work great with rcbs or lyman handles.

rszkutak
02-13-2014, 06:56 PM
I would love to get an "Accurate Mold" from Tom, for this particular mold I am trying to find a round nose profile, Tom needs a flat meplat on his designs. I do like how he offers bullets without lube groves for the new bullet coatings/paint.

Ballisti Cast has a few more options that I would like (ie #914) but I don't want to order from them and have to wait. I am sure once they are up and running again I will purchase a mold from them.

Look for the magma 147 RNFP on fleabay and see what you can trump up. That's an amazing bullet, super accurate shooting in 9 and 38!

I'm so thankfuly I have a friend who's a commercial caster and had extra molds laying around for the magma collecting dust. he literally gave me 15 molds for $25 bucks!!!! JACKPOT!!!!!!

since then I have picked up another 10-20 molds here n there and set them up for the magma. Works like a rock star.