PDA

View Full Version : optimal barrel length w/cast

nekshot
02-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Considering our lowly boring speeds with cast, how important is barrel length with common calibers? 7mm, up to 35.

Outpost75
02-11-2014, 10:27 PM
I am partial to long barrels for low noise with subsonic, heavy bullets and tiny charges of fast burningpowder. 26"+ is great, 30" is wonderful if you can get it.

My favorite is a 31" scoped boltgun in 7.62x54R firing 200-grain cat sneeze!

JeffinNZ
02-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Depends on what you are trying to achieve. A 'standard' charge of Red Dot or 2400 in a milsurp probably burns in the first foot of barrel. Thing is, I like some barrel to dangle out front for sight radius and balance.

runfiverun
02-12-2014, 01:33 AM
I tend to favor a longer barrel myself but for almost the opposite reasons stated above.
I like them so I can get a lower muzzle pressure when pushing things along.

Scharfschuetze
02-12-2014, 01:39 AM
I'll bet my average cast boolit load of 1800 fps requires less than the federally mandated 16" of barrel for top velocity, but I sure like to have at least 24" of a rifle barrel out there for sight radius and "hang" when I'm shooting off hand.

Digital Dan
02-12-2014, 08:54 AM
I like 42" myself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Black%20Powder/Turpin-1_zps8f68e844.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Black%20Powder/Turpin-1_zps8f68e844.jpg.html)

nekshot
02-12-2014, 10:41 AM
the reason I ask is I always have favored shorter barrels because of the mess of vines and limbs I usually hunt in and I have found some shorter barrels I could buy real cheap. I need to watch the out flow of funds and these barrels would keep me busy another 18 months and I could not decide why I need a longer barrel except for sight radius and looks. I find I am constantly using less velocity and less powder all the time. I can not bear the thought of heavy recoil anymore! I think I am getting old.

Larry Gibson
02-12-2014, 11:49 AM
nekshot

If you use the "standard" cast bullet loads with the powders mostly recommended in Lyman's manuals (the fast to lower end of the medium burners) with those calibers then hunting weight barrels of 16 - 22" won't make a lot of difference ballistically or in accuracy potential. However, if you want the maximum velocity with accuracy for hunting potential then the longer the barrel the better and more "optimum". The reason, as stated, is that with the longer barrel you can use slower burning powders to optimize the time/pressure curve for a slower push on the bullet yet achieve an equal or higher velocity. This also means a softer cast bullet can be used for better expansion.

A slower twist is also advisable, if possible, to use with the longer barrel in many of those calibers. As slow a twist as possible to fully stabilize the cast bullet is desired. I've had 16 1/4" through 26" barreled M94 Winchester 30-30s over the years, all with 12" twists. There is a marked advantage in velocity with the longer barrels while maintain equivalent accuracy using the 311041 for example. That velocity range runs from 1800 fps with the short barrel to 2400 fps with the 26" barrel.

As you and the previous post indicate "optimum" barrel length is more predicated on where the rifle is carried than where it is "used". I have a tendency to push cast bullets fast many times I prefer longer barrels of 26 - 30" + for that purpose. as to hunting I have hunted in some pretty thick "stuff" around the world and have carried short barrel rifles, machine guns and longer barreled rifles with OALs equivalent to 26" barreled bolt actioned hunting rifles. I have found the only real advantage to a shorter barreled rifle is that they are indeed "easier" to get in and out of vehicles with and when going through the real "viney" thick stuff. In neither case am I hunting. When the shooting started in the thicker stuff I did not find any barrel of 16 - 26" "better than the other when proper weaponscraft was used. In my own past "short barrels are handier" days I have cut several barrels down to 18 - 20" and have always ended up regretting doing that. I never did find them really any "handier", especially when hunting. All of my serious hunting rifles of the last 15 years with those calibers have 24 - 26" barrels.

If rebarreling any rifle of those calibers for cast bullets they will have at least a 26" barrel and will have as slow a twist as needed to just fully stabilize the intended cast bullet of choice.

Larry Gibson

nekshot
02-12-2014, 05:38 PM
thanks Larry I know in my heart what you all are saying is right, but I am trying to justify the scrooge in my head that is saying "hey, make mannlichers outa em"! I caved and bought a couple 19 inchers.

Wolfer
02-12-2014, 06:48 PM
While I do agree the longer barrel will help velocity I tend to not use the velocity my short barrels are capable of. The only time a longer barrel bothers me is in my normal carry position slung barrel down. If I wasn't so short it probably wouldent bother me then.
The next gun I build will have a barrel no longer than 21" Woody

runfiverun
02-13-2014, 12:04 AM
I like the shorter barreled rifles when I gotta carry them all day through the willows, over the ridges and such too.
I doubt losing 100 fps at 50 yds is gonna matter a whole lot really,if it does use a jaxketed bullet [shrug] and run it up.

Jupiter7
02-13-2014, 12:22 AM
I've gotten 1800fps with .30 160gr cast out of a 10" barrel. I'd say caliber and desired boolit weight would dictate. For brush hunting my max would be 20". But certain calibers can get very acceptable velocity for hunting in minimum length barrels, most the magnum pistol cartridges seem really happy at 18".

Larry Gibson
02-13-2014, 12:37 AM
One other point; if using open or aperture sights the long the barrel the farther the front sight is from older eyes and the easier it is to focus on it.......

You younger guys appreciate the shorter barrels while you can. It does catch up with you.........

Larry Gibson

captaint
02-13-2014, 08:55 AM
About all of my hunting rifles are either 22" or 24. Heck, I consider a 22"er a short barrel. I do have one lever gun with a 20" barrel, I think. I never found it any easier to carry. Mike

cbashooter
02-13-2014, 04:31 PM
I have had 16" barrels and barrels up to 29" on 30 BR's and 30-30 tight neck BR guns.I cant say the barrel length correlated to accuracy.The balance of the longer barrel required lead to be added to the stock.A 20" medium tapered bull barrel 30BR in a 12# ish Hunter Class glass stock is about right on the bags to me.

Wolfer
02-13-2014, 08:32 PM
One other point; if using open or aperture sights the long the barrel the farther the front sight is from older eyes and the easier it is to focus on it.......

You younger guys appreciate the shorter barrels while you can. It does catch up with you.........

Larry Gibson

Truer words were never spoke. Woody