PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood pres for swedging

exblaster
12-15-2007, 09:27 AM
A question if I may is a Hollywood senior pres strong enough for swaging? I have a later model marked Hollywood Senior Tool on the right side and MFG. BY HOLLYWOOD RELOADING TOOL CO. on the left side of the base. the reason I ask is that the base and platen are forged aluminum. It has the duel linkage and large diameter platen insert.
T. I. A.
Exblaster

creekwalker
12-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Yes it is, in fact by my research it's one of the more desirable reloading presses for swaging. I'm gearing up now for swaging w/my RockChucker and would have loved to find one of the Hollywood Seniors's like yours. To me it makes sense to start out with a good strong reloading press to learn swaging. Then if its something we really enjoy and want to expand our skills in consider upgrading to a better swaging set up.

Creekwalker

quasi
01-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Does your press have a place to mount a Tie bar? I have a Hollywood Senior turret, it has a place to mount the 5/8 tie bar it came with for swaging.

I once had 3 Hollywood Universal 3 turret presses, they had 12 die turrets, 4 shell holder turrets, and 4 primer arm turrets. They were aluminum framed, I would not want to swage on them.

My Senior turret is all cast iron, and has much more leverage than the Universals did.

exblaster
01-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Quasi hello

No there is no attachment for a tie bar. The press is a single station Hollywood senior but the head of the press and parts of the frame are aluminum.

Exblaster

Duckiller
01-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Hollywood presses are still made somewhere in the San Fernando valley. Went there once, fascinating place. Unfortunately I do not remember address phone number or e-mail address. They are normally at the Glendale gun show. Next one is in early March. If you want I can get an address then. PM me. Duckiller

MightyThor
01-17-2008, 02:46 AM
My big Hollywood has two threaded holes on either side of the handle just above the handle pivot. each hole has a threaded cap or filler that is screwed in there when you use the press for reloading. the caps keep the threads clean and free of gunk. When you want to swage with the press you unscrew the two caps and thread in the torsion rods that stick up through the turret and hold it in place while you swage. Do not swage a turret press without those rods in place or you will likely bend or break turret parts. Picture of my press attachedhttp://www.antiquereloadingtools.org/discus/messages/8/1643.jpg

quasi
01-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Mighty Thor your press is called a HOLLYWOOD SUPER TURRET, it is the most valuble Hollywood press there is.

MightyThor
01-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Mighty Thor your press is called a HOLLYWOOD SUPER TURRET, it is the most valuble Hollywood press there is.

This one is priceless, it was given to me by my grandfather along with all his guns, reloading tools case formers, bullet making tools, etc. I also have my father's smaller Hollywood turret press and a single stage iron Hollywood press. I love that Hollywood stuff.:-D