PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand

762 shooter
02-11-2014, 04:12 PM
For about a year now I have been reading and posting on several threads commenting on the shortages that most all of us have observed.

I am trying to understand why a person that apparently loves to shoot, reload, cast, experiment, compete or hunt would not want to have as many powders, primers, ingots, bullets, and brass as possible? I understand that there are other priorities (food, clothing, shelter, medical needs, gasoline) that must be taken care of first. I also understand that poop happens to the best laid plans.

Firearms and everything that goes with them makes up a large portion of my entertainment/hobby life. It's possible for me to don a tinfoil hat and see in my wildest dreams that one day people like us that appreciate firearms might be seen as pariahs. But for the life of me I can't imagine my lifelong pursuit of enjoying the smell of burning gunpowder ending because I didn't stock enough components.

I know some have recently discovered this pursuit and the timing has been bad. Life isn't fair. If the world of component availability ever returns to normal, do not forget. Heck this may be normal. It has been for 13 months.

I'm always ready to teach anyone what I know. Hopefully one of them will like it as much and as long as I have.

Mildly Ranting,

C. Latch
02-11-2014, 04:14 PM
This is, by definition, an economics problem.

Every one of us has to deal with how we allocate our scarce resources to cover life's wants and needs.

btroj
02-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Won't catch me without a good stock on hand.

bhn22
02-11-2014, 04:28 PM
I only keep as much on hand as is outlined by local fire codes. Honest!

762 shooter
02-11-2014, 04:31 PM

Every one of us has to deal with how we allocate our scarce resources to cover life's wants and needs.

Agreed. Economics and priorities. I guess I was feeling that any maniac that wanted to play with molten lead to enjoy their hobby would have components a little higher on their priority list than "normal" people.

woody1
02-11-2014, 04:32 PM
bullets? I don't got no stinkin' bullets!

largom
02-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Have not had to buy any components for the past 5 years and I still have at least a 5 yr. supply. Little low on 22LR but still have enough for grand daughters to shoot. I refuse to pay rip-off prices, will do with-out first. If and when prices get some-what normal again I will replenish my stock. If I kick the bucket before I use it all my son-in-law will get it.

Larry

shooter93
02-11-2014, 07:00 PM
I've always tried to buy extra when work was good but the truth is for many many people in this current economy there is just simply not enough money to buy loading and casting things. I hope the end is in sight but I doubt it.

Recluse
02-11-2014, 07:29 PM
My world doesn't revolve around any one thing because that is only a guarantee for disappointment at some point down the line.

I keep a very healthy backstock of components as well as loaded ammunition on hand so that I can shoot anytime I please. However, I also keep a set amount of components on hand and when I get near the limit of say any given powder or primer, I do not load or shoot anything that uses those particular components until I can refurbish the supply.

Right now I'm finding it challenging to get my hands on 2400 and Bullseye, so when I get down to my minimum "reserve" level of those two powders, I will not load anymore until I can refurbish that supply.

Overall, I've slowed down on the shooting quite a bit anyhow. The ranges around here are too damned crowded for my taste and that takes the joy of solitude away--which is one of the things I enjoy about shooting.

I have plenty of other equally enjoyable pursuits I follow, so slowing down on the shooting and reloading and casting doesn't bother me.

For a lot of folks, it IS economics and no matter how damned hard they may try, keeping oil in the furnace and food in the pantry is a helluva lot more important than gunpowder and primers. I absolutely respect them keeping their priorities straight.

:coffee:

btroj
02-11-2014, 08:05 PM
I HOPE they keep priorities straight!

I shoot for fun. I will always put my basic family needs first.

JD, too bad you aren't closer, I have some 2400 I could get to you. I bought 16 pounds last year.

koehn,jim
02-11-2014, 09:12 PM
I think most of the people on this board have decided which powders and primers go with their needs. I have a fairly ample supply of brass, primers and powder for the calibers I shoot. I see no need to have powders on hand for calipers or boolits that I don't shoot, when you are new to the sport you have a wider selection. After doing this for a few years you too will most likely have fewer types of powder but more of the ones you do have. As for lead there is never enough.

geargnasher
02-11-2014, 09:22 PM
For practical use, a flat of 12-gauge birdshot, a handful of 00 buckshot shells, a box each of .30-30, .30-06, a box of either .38, .45 ACP or .45 Colt would be a lifetime supply. I can use an air rifle just fine for .22 rimfire duties.

BUT. (Y'all know the rest).

Anything past the above is purely for enjoyment or practice and is budgeted accordingly.

Gear

starmac
02-11-2014, 09:34 PM
We don't want to get practical now, that just wouldn't be any fun. lol

I would think that most people that shoot, likes to shoot instead of loves to shoot. I am in the liking category, and just need to keep enough stock on hand to not worry about not having what I need when I (need) to shoot.

btroj
02-11-2014, 10:52 PM
For practical use I don't need any ammo.

Now reality tells me otherwise.

uncle joe
02-11-2014, 10:58 PM
fire codes? we ain't got no stinking fire codes:grin:

runfiverun
02-12-2014, 01:21 AM
yeah I'm sure the nfpa would disagree with that,
they have even bothered to write about 20 books on the subject...:lol:

I have most everything I need to last my lifetime at my current rate of use.
I have been working towards that end for a number of years when finances have permitted.
however there are a few gaps [powder/shot] and I don't know what i'll be into in 10 years. [shrug]

if we are talking enough for hunting or occasional plinking trips I'm probably over stocked, if talking serious target shooting [like trap] over a number of years I'm sorely lacking in many areas.

starmac
02-12-2014, 02:26 AM
runfive, that is pretty much where I'm at EXCEPT I have this habit of impulse buys, that usually results in a new caliber. lol i truly do have all I need, but a guy always wants more. lol

btroj
02-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Lifetime supply? No way.

I could go a few years without buying anything, except maybe small pistol primers. I will be happier once I have a ton in ingots, could happen this year.

At some point I need to just use what I have. I have so many partial bottles of powder that I just need to use up.

stephenj
02-12-2014, 09:29 AM
i like to shoot
i also have a budget i have to follow , most times it allows me more then enough componants to shoot as much as i like .
primers havent ever been a real problem for me .

what has been a problem is powder , my budget does not allow me to be able to place an order and buy in bulk online when its avalable. so i am dependant on what the local shops get .

what gets tiresome with that is every week the same a$$hat shows up the day powder comes in and buys up the popular stuff like 2400 and unique to resell
whats worse is the store owner allows it knowing full well what he is doing , and giving him a discount to boot .. i now refuse to buy anything there i do not absolutly need

gray wolf
02-12-2014, 02:42 PM

our scarce resources as in very scarce

dbosman
02-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Local fire code precludes me having as much as I'd like to have on hand. As a kid on a farm I had far more in my bedroom.
Economics and thoughts of mortality limits my lead stash.
having two kids in college and one in 8th grade, heading for college limits splurges to planed events.